nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Okay, so I'm a useless slob living in TV no-no land and I just watched Unadilla a couple hours ago on ESPN2. I wanted to lay out some of my own observations to see if they're anywhere near valid.

1) MXA's claim that Pastrana's bike is a "wheezer" is about as true as, well, everything else in their mags... He clearly had the best bike on that day, passing 2 bikes that I can recall, on equal ground, equal slope, equal turn exiting speed on a flat surface: a) Sellards on his 125SX (and we know KTM doesn't have any power deficits there), and b) Schnell on his YZ250F straight out of a turn. Again, flat surface, no apparent difference in entrance/exit speed, etc. Zooks underpowered? Give me a break. Sometimes I wonder how embarassed MXA must feel about some of their statements.:silly:

2) Brown parked Fonz off the track again, via a very well executed block pass. This was fair, and Fonz is far from aggressive enough. It appears Brown has to keep his bike on the pipe in the corners, while Fonz will slam into the corner with the throttle down relying on 4 stroke torque to pull him out. The clash in these 2 styles' plus their approximate equivalent speed seems to be getting these 2 tangled up a bit this year...:think

3) Pastrana is a GOD.

4) Carmichael's speed, and starts in particular, still has me baffled. This guy has no problem holeshotting the 4 strokes into the first corner, not just once, but over and over again. By defiinition, his mechanic's carb tuning capabilities are spot on, but he also obviously has awesome power and an awesome bike. The more I look at him on that bike, if he does prove to go to Honda (remember guys, as far as I know, no formal announcement has occurred, and I don't believe any of the MAGS have touched it without including the word "rumor" in the sentence), it doesn't look like he'll be on a better bike. Tortelli just plain whipped his ass in the 2nd moto. :eek:

4) The 4 strokes obviously have the advantage up a steep hill. :silly:

Now, flame away

Jan 12, 2001
1. These are not stock bikes they are racing. Travis' bike along with all of the others have more after market perks than you could shake a stick at.

2. Good for Mike Brown. If Fonz doesn't want to be agressive and run with the boys then he belongs off of the podium.

3. Travis is awesome I agree, but his little mistakes hurt him the most IMO.

4. Would Ricky be faster on a CR? At my level it is more the rider than the bike, and I think this works on a sliding scale.

5. It seems so.

Nephron, on a personal note, I noticed that the boards are kinda bare. It seems most people are out riding. I'll be on the track tomorrow, whats your excuse?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Nephron, on a personal note, I noticed that the boards are kinda bare. It seems most people are out riding. I'll be on the track tomorrow, whats your excuse?

Work:silly: These posts always come from the hospital/clinic.
Typical day: work, son, wife, ride, work on 68 vette (wife's car)
Patience, my friend. #4 is, well, #4.

Good luck tomorrow (today)--hope you do well.

Jack

Jan 12, 2001
Wow you're even busier than I am. The ride went really well. Today I found out where I need to improve the most; going into turns. I drop off the power too soon. I'm a wild man coming out of the turns, on straight-aways, and on the jumps. I guess I should be happy, I thought it was the whole turn I sucked at, but instead it's only the first half.;)

Top Bottom