Rhon

Aug 21, 2003
I have a brand new 2003 KDX200. I plan to remove the headlight and odometer. As you know, the odometer cable screws into a "spinner" unit on the front axle. I could unscrew the cable from the spinner unit and plug the hole in the unit with a brass bolt or some silicone, but what if I want to remove the entire spinner unit altogether? Do any of you know of a correctly-sized sleeve that is available that would take the place of the spinner unit on the front axle? I contacted my local Kawasaki dealer, and they could not find such a sleeve in their catalog.

...Rhon.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
....don't know about the sleeve, but when I removed mine, I just filled the remaining hole w/ hot melt glue, which is easy to remove if I decided to reinstall the odo...good luck.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Keep the hub, loose the gear inside.

Rhon

Aug 21, 2003
Thanks nectar and RV6.

Hot melt glue, eh? I hadn't thought of that. That would be easier to remove than silicone. Thanks!

...Rhon.

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
Drop down to your local auto parts store and pick up some silicone or rubber vacuum port caps you can buy them in a variety pack,they come in all different sizes and you can use them on all sorts of parts of the bike,just pick one that fits where the cable connects, put a dab of grease on the inside and it will keep it in good condition.

Last edited:

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I have a Ty Davis plug made to fit perfectly via ZipTy racing. On the other hand, I'm about to order up a spacer that some of the KLX300 guys are using. Gooby hooked me up with a guy who makes them. I will find the info and post accordingly.

Attachments

• 194[1].jpg
    194[1].jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 191

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Here is a larger pic of the plug. Cost me $12 bucks I believe. Works great. But a spacer is much cleaner IMHO.

Attachments

• zipty%20odo%20plug[1].jpg
    zipty%20odo%20plug[1].jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 229

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
:( Sorry Rhon but I got my wr odo drive mixed up with the kdx,the wr has a threaded fitting left that the vacuum cap fits onto when the cable is removed and the kdx is left with a hole,might still work though,just find one that fits snug in the hole and push it in,you can put a shallow grove on one side and the phillips screw will keep it in.The silicone works well also,to remove it just thread a sheet metal screw into the center of the silicone plug and pull it out with some pliers.

Last edited:

Rhon

Aug 21, 2003
Thanks jdbrusch for that suggestion about removing the silicone. I was wondering about that!

And thanks RTL for those great photos. I like that plug! I plan to do a web search for ZipTy and see if I can get one of those plugs. If you get more info on a spacer, please post that info here, as there may be others besides me interested in such a spacer.

....Rhon.

Top Bottom