OEM Piston , is it a Time Bomb?

Aflica

May 23, 2004
Hey good people , i need some advice. I just got a brand new 03 Kdx 220r , and i seem to be hearing rumors about the Kawasaki Piston being a time bomb. The rumor im hearing , is the skirt will crack and let go. Any truth to this....will i be pushing my bike home one day soon ? Please , any info , help , and or advice , will be greatly appreciated , by a new and proud owner. Also if it should be yanked out...what should go in and how soon . Thankx

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
It appears to be modified 220's with the problem, or those who've left replacement too long (i.e. a couple of years/seasons).
You should not be pushing your stock bike home any time soon, but I wouldn't leave it too long & definitely do it at the same time as modifications (engine).
Replace the stock piston with a wiseco.
Kawasaki recommend doing the top end after break-in, so if you're anal about it, I'd do it then.
Hope that puts your mind at ease a bit.

Aflica

May 23, 2004
Hey...thanks for the reply. My bike has the stock exhaust replaced with the FMF Gnarly woods pipe and Power Core 2 silencer , is this going to be a risk for a New motor?

know_fear

May 19, 2000
I went thru the same thing 2 years ago. While riding I couldn't stop thinking about cracks in the skirt so I bit the bullet and put in a Wiseco. It comes down to whether you're a gambler or not. A new piston kit is about $CAN180 and a blown engine can get up to 2 grand (ask FattyK in Kelowna). The odds of a stock piston coming apart in it's first 50 hours are slim but.........

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
FattyK left his in too long (a few seasons from memory), but yeah, it was expensive for him.
Personally (strictly my opinion) I'd be running the bike in & then changing the piston - killing two birds with one stone - I ain't a gambler (and I'm the one most likely to have something happen to).

CanadianMike

May 23, 2004
I just bought (and broke-in) a new 2004 KDX 220 , and am going to be doing a few mods this summer - I guess I will change the piston too. But, kinda makes me wonder what my bro is doing with his CR250 - still has the same piston for almost 5 years, and rides almost every day..........
Is this something that is happening to KX's too?? or, is it a case of "they don't build them like they used to? I used to ride lots back 10 years ago, and never had undue piston "worry"!?! Don't get me wrong, I love my new KDX, but wonder sometimes.

Cheers everyone :)

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the issue with OEM pistons more relevent to the 220 model and not the 200? I hope so, since I replaced the 5 year old piston from my 99 KDX200 with a OEM unit and not the forged Wiseco.

Bill

stinx

Jul 25, 2000
Jeff Fredette told me he has seen KDX's with over 4500 miles on the original top ends. Mind you these bikes were trail ridden ,not raced and the owners kept up with basic maintnence ,filters, oil etc. My 02 KDX200 has over 1500 miles on the top end and compression checks fine.I will probably freshen up my top end at the end of this riding season.

Aflica

May 23, 2004
Just an Update for you people. I talked with 2 different dealers yesterday , and they both said the same thing. No Problems With The OEM Piston . Period. In fact i talked with a 3rd ( non Kawasaki dealer , who is very trustworthy to me ) and he said ,he would with out a doubt , use an OEM piston as a replacement or rebuild. The real issue to all of them was hours on it and how hard it is ridden and of course oil and mix ratio. And (theres always an and ) they all stressed the fact to warm the motor properly before revving . I hope this helps you , it did put my mind to a certain degree of ease , as i had to belive Kawasaki ,wouldn't ignore such a huge and disastrous sales problem , with one of there top selling bikes.
Thanks and see ya on the trails

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
The problem is with the 220 not the 200. If memory serves me Jeff said it's not a matter of IF the 220 piston will self destruct, but WHEN.

know_fear

May 19, 2000
Yes, the 200 OEM pistons are fine.
No, Kawasaki (and most if not all dealers) never acknowledged there was a problem with the 220 pistons.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
1) If you (a dealer) acknowledge that a problem exists you also exposure yourself to liability.

2) Do you really think that dealers (in general) have anywhere near the knowledge of the KDX that you find here on this forum?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…