Oh my... can you say BIG AIR (247 feet!)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Saw this on another site - Ryan Capes jumping 247 feet trying to break the world record of 253 feet - they say he is 65 feet in the air at the peak of his 247 foot jump. 5th gear 3/4 throttle on his CR 250 at 74 mph! Check out http://expn.go.com/mtx/s/capes_follow_up.html for the article and a video I can't figure out how to open.

Attachments

• capes.jpg
    capes.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 506

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
The bird's-eye view of the jump is pretty amazing. Serious hang time.

Nikki - try downloading the latest Real One player. Worked OK on my end.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
WOW!!!! :thumb:
But they spelled "congratulations" wrong. :confused:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I'm SCARED just thinking about it :eek:

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
I saw a video of this nut on "54321" and he was doing superman seat grabs at 185' while working up to the jump in the picture.

Cuckoo! Cuckoo!

-jeffd

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
The consequences of coming up short are pretty severe. Say for example the bike begins to seize as he approaches the ramp.

I'd layout a 40' wide x 12' high section of hay/foam across the entire gap. Or dig a similar sized trench within the gap and fill it with water. Have you ever even tried jumping into a body of water from 65' up?

Or I'd strap on a parachute!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I did 360 once. Oh wait, that was degrees, nevermind.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
How did he know how fast to go on the first jump? wholly smit! What if a bird was in the way? That's enough air time to do a top end job, eh?

I remember years ago (before I got old) doing a double with a tall landing ramp (on a much much smaller scale than what he did). It took me months to get up the stones to do it, because if I singled it and landed anywhere close to the second hump, I bottomed very, very hard. Finally some guy showed up that was clearing it and I figured out how fast he was going, and it worked.

Last edited:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by motometal
How did he know how fast to go on the first jump?

look at the site. he made several jumps in increments to figure out the speed.

big air rules. i love it (but i don't like freestyle). i think it's awesome, deadly but awesome.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
If you add up all the times I've ever jumped I'd prolly still be a fair bit shy of 247 feet :worship:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom