Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I live in Ohio and know the riding here is great but I just read the last issue of DirtRider and they Ranked Wellsville Ohio as the 3rd best place to ride in under Moab, and they had a listing of the top Ten Hardest Races and listed "Any Southern Ohio Race in the Rain" along with the Baja 1000 and the Paris Dakar Rally. Ohio Rules!!
:moon:

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
The only reason I ride is for everybody else's amusement. Just think how boring it would be if you did'nt get to watch me fall so much:p

Jewell

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
SPD, I remeber riding behind you at Richland last year down this big hill with a log at the bottom. Your front tire took the right side of the log and your back tire took the left side. It was so funny watching that log tell your bike where to go I just waited and watched instead of passing you. That was one heck of a rail slide (as skate boarders would call it).

I vote for Richland, but I have only been to one other place in OH called New Vienna. It was a pretty week motorcross track, but good for an afternoon.

James980

Dec 29, 1999
I grew up in southern Ohio and go back a few times a year to ride. The past couple years have been during absolute, multi-day downpours and I can say without a sliver of any doubt that it's orders of magnitude easier to ride that clay in the rain than this sandy crap, with it's high silicone content, they have up here in Illinois when it's wet. An S-12 or 756 will hook right up in that clay. Up here, it slides around like a street bike tire.

Not that that makes northern Illinois better. Ohio is a much better state for MX/offroad, in my opinion. The DR guys just need to get out more.

James
00CR250

Originally posted by Bill Hibbs
I live in Ohio and know the riding here is great but I just read the last issue of DirtRider and they Ranked Wellsville Ohio as the 3rd best place to ride in under Moab, and they had a listing of the top Ten Hardest Races and listed "Any Southern Ohio Race in the Rain" along with the Baja 1000 and the Paris Dakar Rally. Ohio Rules!!
:moon:

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Originally posted by Jewell

I vote for Richland, but I have only been to one other place in OH called New Vienna. It was a pretty week motorcross track, but good for an afternoon.

I used to ride at Honda Hills about a decade ago. It was nice, then. Might be worth checking out. Wayne National Forest is worth the drive.

James
77IT250

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
Jewell. That hurt.Didn't work like I thought it would. Was suppose to slid the front in the ditch and brake slide the rear,didn't see the big root.
James. Honda Hills sucks. The people don't take care of it.

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Originally posted by SPD
James. Honda Hills sucks. The people don't take care of it.

That's sad. Was it sold in the last 10 years or so? Could be nostalgia, but I remember Honda Hills being the best track in District 11 back in the 1980s.

James
00CR250

dko36

Jan 14, 2002
I've been riding in Ohio for years, but I'm unfamiliar with the Wellsville area. I definitely want to ride it after Dirt Bike rated it so highly. Has anyone ridden it? Could someone post directions to it?

Thanks in advance.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
It's a shame that they don't do more with it. Has a great reputation . They still have the friday nite series.

mgorman

May 8, 2000
There is another rider on this forum that rides wellsville all the time (FOO-FOO BIKE). SPD met him a few years back at little beaver on his KTM200. I will forward this to him and see if he'd like to be a trail boss for the day. If it is a non points weekend, I'll go. SPD, as long as you can climb big hills, you should be ok. I made most of them on an XR250 so put on a fresh meat before you go or shave the edges.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
:) :) Give me as much notice as you can and I'll try to be there. Would like to get back up and ride with you guys.All new rubber. Just not sure about the rear yet. Wanted to try the new dunlops but can't find them locally.

mgorman

May 8, 2000
The worst that can happen is you ride just the easy stuff or you learn to ride up hill which could also cause you to learn basic trailside repairs if you fall enough. If any of us NEO guys show up and mention bike testing, ride the other way or be prepared to fall allot.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I've seen Dennis climb some killer hills. He'll be just fine. He does good on the longer technical ones (like Wellsville) but psyches himself out on the shorter steep hills. I'm originally from the Youngstown area. I've ridden Wellsville a few times. It seems like it's mostly been in the rain though. It's cool crossing all the streams when the water is flowing fast.

And MGorman, I've seen you climb hills on that XR250 that some guys couldn't climb on a 500!! ;) I seem to remember getting stuck on one trying to follow you! :scream:

Spring is definitely in the air, we need to hook up soon. I'm looking forward to the ride in Richland.

mgorman

May 8, 2000
I belive wellsville is also known as yellowcreek and is north of stuebinville.

Bill, that's because my 220 lb carcas won't let the rear tire slip...

RDzoom

Nov 7, 2001
Wellsvile is very cool but if you've ever been to Hillsville near NewCastle PA... man now that was some good riding before they shut it down. :(

mgorman

May 8, 2000
that was all hill climbing. I never found much fun there except the sand pit.

jared_290

Nov 15, 2001
wellsville is fun but i was suprised to see it #3. if you don't know where it is look for moutainer race track, wellsville is just across the river. As far as hillsville goes it's hard to compare the two. hillsville is open and man made, where as wellsville is mostly wooded and natural. wellsville hills are for the mostpart far longer/rockey/rutted than hillsville.
hillsville.html
this is hillsville
101003.JPG
this is wellsville
hillsville being shut down really sucks especially since i'm from bessemer. if you like hillsville ask around about siberia you can ride there from hillsville (sort of) if you can find bessemer lake you can find siberia.

Last edited:

93cr250

Jul 9, 2000
That picture from wellsville... Thats on the second set of power lines and that hill ROCKS (the one your facing) I have only made it up like 5-6 time out of 20 trys. It's really rocky and dry, best to hit it after a small rain. The picture dosen't do it justice thou. There are tons of climbs like that one and also even harder, really hard. Wellsville is a great time. Lots of everthing. I go every other sunday durring the spring,summer,fall time. It's best to go with someone that knows there way around so you get the full meal deal.

Would be really cool to meet up with some of the guys from here for a ride.
Let me know if anyone is going and whats to meet up.

Brian

Top Bottom