Oil and crankcase seals

harry monza

Sep 28, 2002
Hey guy's & girls.
I have a 91 kdx 200f oil injected model.
When I took off the left case there was oil inside enough to run out on the grass.
The only place I can see it getting there is through the crank seals.

Question Is this the only place it can come from and could it come through the right seal and out the left?

I have new seals on order

Thanks for any info
Harry
who would like to go for a ride this long week end.

jpm200

Aug 15, 2002
Harry,

The seals are removed to the inside so you will need to split the cases and pull the crank.

You will need a set of gaskets.

While you are there you may as well replace all of the seals and bearings for the gearbox. (saves having to split the cases again at a later date.)

It is more than a 1 beer job.

cheers
Jason

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
If the crankcase is the same as the non oil injected bikes sold here in Canada and the USA you may want to check into a common problem that Kawi had with oil leaking into the ignition area.Check the area around the outer part of the seal,there are 3 slots around the outer part of the seal, if the outer bearing sleeve is exposed that is cast into the case half then the oil is most likely slowly bleeding thru from the crank side into the ignition cover.This is caused by the different expansion rates of the two different metals.The solution is a simple one,just lay the bike on the right side,clean the slots with a degreaser,rubbing alcohol will work,mix up some JB weld(metal based epoxy) and fill the slots with the epoxy,you may want to do a leak down test on the motor just in case,it will reveal if the seal is actually gone.

harry monza

Sep 28, 2002
Thanks Guy's
Seems a bit strange to have them so you have to split the cases.
Amazing bike anyway

Harry

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…