sound

Feb 20, 2001
The manual requires 80 w. But at our local shop (honda-yama) all I could find was Slkolene light gear oil 75w-90. Is this ok. I would buy bulk 80 w so I dont run out ,but I cant find it. Maybe the honda dealer could order me 5 gallons or so? If this stuff is not good ,how would common oil like 10w-40 be?

------------------
Older=bolder

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
Get some ATF fluid type "F". It works better and is much cheaper. Do not use "DEXRON".
Change every 100 miles or so.

------------------
Mark
GasGas EC200
KTM 125 Enduro

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Sound,
Alot of guys use ATF without any problem. You will get suggestions from both sides of the coin on ths subject.
Personaly, I would go with the factory recommended gear oil, because I feel it holds up to the rigors of gear lash better than ATF. While using factory recom. fluid, you'll have a better chance of getting manufacturers support in the event of failure. JMO

------------------
Faster Bikes, Younger Women, & Older Whiskey
AMA
BRC

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Mobil 1 15w50 or PJ1 75W if you want a "2 stroke bike tranny" oil that is readily available.

No Mobil 1 5w30 though. Another good standby is Castrol GTX 20w50 if the Mobil 1 is too much for your budget.

Not saying one is better than the other; they will all work fine. Notice which oil is NOT on my list... the debate goes on. I just don't have enough info about the ATF to make me comfortable with it in this application. TexKDX.

------------------
TexKDX

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom