Homer88

Jun 8, 2001
Hi there.

I have this peculiar problem. I notice that at the bottom of my crankcase, there is a leakage of 2T oil when I was doing my bike maint. After several tries of cleaning and trying to find the source of the leak, it seems that the 2T oil is leaking from the seam where the 2 halves of the crankcase joins. I can't find any visible crack or dent but there's this area that's always wet with 2T.

Is this something that can be ignored??? :ugg:

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Check to see if you all the bolts holding the crankcases together are tight. If they are and its still leaking oil, then you should probably take the engine out of the bike and take the cases apart. Then replace the the gaskets and while your at it all the main crank bearings and seals. But if you dont want to do all this then you can take some epoxy and put some on the seam. This should stop the leak, if it doesnt, then you'll have to take the cases apart and do what I said before.
Also, if its a tiny tiny amount thats leaking than I dont think that it would be a problem, just as long as only a tiny tiny amount of oil leaks. But definitaly try the epoxy thing even if its a tiny amount.
Best of luck.
Jim

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I say ya use some JB-Weld!!! Well JB-Weld is a last option but better then splitting the cases. When you say 2T are you referring to engine oil or 2-stroke premix? if it is premix it MIGHT be leaking from the exhaust manifold dripping down to the bottom of the motor.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Have oil will travel.
Degrease the engine totally & check the drain bolt & left hand case for oil/ chain lube.
As above or it could be leaking from the tranny (after mixing with a bit of dust are you sure it is 2T?)

I think you are right though & you have a crankcase leak. Yams don’t use gaskets there & it may be a case for splitting the cases & reapplying some yamabond or 3 bond. A leak down test should show this up. Give it a birthday while you have it apart.
A crank case leak is potentially deadly to engine life.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom