mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
I have a bit of oil that has started to leak from the front end of my Answer silencer around the edges. It is not coming from the rubber boot which meets up with the pipe but actually from the seam on the silencer. Any idea what causes this? Is it a problem?

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
I don't know of any silencer that comes with a drainage tube, or needs one. If your silencer can is leaking, take it apart and seal with "high-temp" silicone and reassemble. I've had mine apart many times, and never leaks there. Sometimes at rubber coupling, but that's usually when jetted too rich, or too low an oil ratio (like 32:1). I've always run 40:1, with 45/155 jetting and there's no sponge leakage and very little smoke. Of course the "type" of oil plays a big part too.

(fixed a few typo's)!

Last edited:

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
THe drain bolt rear bottom needs to be removed and drained periodically. I had smilar Spooging problems.. Repacked silencer with stainless steel wool sponges, Sealed it with RTV black silicone, Dropped to 44:1 with synthetic oil rejetted using this mix ratio and now ..Viola!! no more spooge...

Last edited:
Top Bottom