oil on shock shaft

BDAY

Feb 16, 2005
today i noticed some oil on the shaft of my shock, not much, just a thin film. can you replace the seal like on the forks? i fear taking it to the suspension guy, last time i went there i left broke, this time if i have to i'm rebuilding it myself. 1995 cr125

minutz

Feb 6, 2000
Sure you can do it yourself, read all about the procedure at the mx-tech site under "support". A word of caution, it is a little trickey getting the nut off of the shaft on a Showa without wrecking it for a first timer if you haven't seen it done. I'm not doubting your mechanical abilty but if your only going to do it once I would send it in to be repaired. A 95 will most likley need some internal parts as well. Good Luck.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Had that happen once on an old TT600 I had. But since I didn't notice it until I was loaded up to head out for a ride, I decided to go ahead and ride it. The next day, I took off the shock, took it to the shop who sent it to a suspension shop to be repaired. They tore it down and told the MC shop that it was too damaged to be repaired. :ohmy: I had to buy another shock. :yell:
Hopefully your's isn't that damaged yet.

BDAY

Feb 16, 2005
it was completely rebuilt last year with a new shaft and all. it is a kyb.

i'm pretty handy with a wrench. :) i'm pretty sure the seal is just leaking because some dirt got up there, i might just replace the seal if everything looks clean. i wiped it off the shaft when i posted this and it hasn't really leaked any more.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…