oil ring possibly upside down

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
Nobody here has to take my word as the gospel. I can only tell you of my experience. whenever I drain my oil I see the same thing, not chunks of metal but very small pieces which give the oil a glittery appearance. And you will all have to take my word when I say that I have observed this condition for the past six years and my KDX works perfectly on the same clutch that it had in it when I bought it. That is why I say there is nothing wrong with it.
What other Alum. part could wear in the tranny producing the so called glitter?
I think Alum is softer than steel so how can that hurt the steel gears?
If I'm wrong about the stock clutch plates being made of alum. then I will stand corrected
Let's hear from some other folks on this matter.
Russ

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
"I think Alum is softer than steel so how can that hurt the steel gears?"
Aluminum work hardens so squishing it between gears or in bearings makes it harder and as it is not a lubricant can damage bearings and other metal parts. Although it won't damage the gears in a hurry it can damage the gear bearings.

"What other Alum. part could wear in the tranny producing the so called glitter?"
Something may be rubbing against the inside of the cases or it may have spun a bearing.

In regard to the clutch plates, the fibre plates are mounted on aluminum centres but that's not the part that wears. The part that wears is the fibre against and the steel plates.

All this being said, I must admit I am ultra fussy about maintenance, maybe a little too fussy but I think it is better to be safe than sorry.

Cheers

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Joburble said:
Aluminum plates, never heard of them.

You clearly need to get out more.

Last edited:

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
Rich Rohrich said:
You clearly need to get out more. :coocoo:
about time you spoke on this.
This things got me pissed, mostly because I spoke with a trusted expert and he says they are not aluminum plates. OK. The metal comes from the basket fingers and over the short term are not harmful. This is all I have to say, Russ out.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Could somebody have spun the bike with the spacer washer missing from behind the clutch assembly?

That'll so some spontaneous machining of aluminum in there.

rtk70

Sep 13, 2009
wow! didnt mean to get people heated over my problem! i am thankfull for everybody trying to make sure i get the right advice.i just found out that the pro-x rings i installed do have a mark showing wich side faces up on the piston.and i forgot to check that when i put them on.if one was upside down,could the shavings be from my cylinder being damaged from the ring?if that was the case,i would think i would have lost compression right away,but i had probably 1-1 1/2 hours on it after the rebuild and it runs like a new bike.even starts on one kick.how are the rings different from one side to the other?the shavings got really noticeable after the rebuild.is there anything else that i might have done (or not done) during the rebuild that could be causing this?part of me tells me its coming from the bottom end,but its a pretty big coincedence that this happend right after i tore it down and put it back together

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
There is no conceivable way for shavings of that size to reach the transmission oil from the cylinder. So the answer is no. I seriously doubt having the ring upside down would make enough difference to damage anything anyway.

I'm saying the answer to your question is no. If the shavings are in the transmission, they came from the transmission.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
rtk70

when you had the side cover off did you look at the inside of it?
sometimes the end of the kips shaft gets busted off and gets spun between the cover and the clutch basket (you would not see this with the small cover off you'd have to take the inner cover off too)

I noticed you did the top end and THEN you bought a manual... did you take the clutch cover off when rebuilding the top?

kinda sounds like a broken kips shaft to me

rtk70

Sep 13, 2009
thanks.no i didnt take the clutch cover off when i did the top end.i didnt see anything about doing that,so i didnt.i have a feeling you are dead on about the kips shaft.i noticed in the manual that there is a white mark on that gear that you have to line up with a mark on the shaft.i didnt do that.i dont remember seeing anything like that on there,but it must be there.when i put it back on,i put that claw thing from the shaft,and centered it on the gear.in the manual,the picture of it shows it doesnt go on the center,but just off center.i guess i was to concerned about making sure i didnt twist the shaft when taking off the nut,and i know it didnt twist at all,but the marks arent lined up.if i take the cover off i should be able to see it move when i rev the bike up,right?if it did break,how bad of a fix is this gonna be?if it did break off, it had about an hour or a little over of riding time to tear things up in there. i get home late from work,but i think ill look tommorow to see if it is broke.guess i should have bought the manual first,or paid closer attention when i took it off.thanks guys.ill let you know what i find.i have a bad feeling your right though.thanks again

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
rtk70 said:
ill look tommorow to see if it is broke.ill let you know what i find.i have a bad feeling your right though.thanks again
Thanks.
You know, for, like, letting us know.

Funny how people get on here, ask all sorts of questions, get all sorts of advice, then don't bother to repay the favor by adding to our knowledge pool. :pissed:

By the way, the stock second ring has no rightside up or upside down. The top ring does, because it's a keystone type ring. The second ring is not.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I don't think my Weisco had an up or down of either ring. I followed their instructions to the letter, and don't recall doing anything with rings upside down or right side up. But that was a while ago, so who knows if I did it or just forgot.

And I am looking at the piston that came out of my 95 (sits here on my desk) and I don't see anything on the rings that look like they would be different up or down.

I don't recall having to do it on my sons KX-60 when I put in the replacement Namura piston (a cast piston instead of a forged one... but looked better made then the stock Kawasaki piston, which was also cast and does fine).

Top Bottom