robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
No idea on the size of the tank.

You should look to mix at 32:1. 32 parts gas to each 1 part of pre-mix 2 stroke oil.

Here in the states we use gallons - 128 oz. - so the mix is 4 oz. pre-mix per gallon.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Mix the oil in the gas can before you put it in the bike.

As for the desired ratio the amount varies based on personal preference, desired risk and type of oil.

A very conservative mix is 24:1, but that will smoke like crazy. 32:1 is a very common mix but one school of thought is that when using a synthetic oil you can get by with less so make it 40:1. Some people even run 50:1.

Pick a mix you are comfortable with and stick to it as it can effect your jetting. Dedicate a gas can to pre-mix gas. Like robwbright, I work in gallons. I have a can that will hold 6 gallons of gas but I always mix for 5 gallons. I have a small plastic jar that has the oil level marked for 5 gallons. I fill the jar to the line, dump it in the gas can then put the lid on the jar to keep dust out and oil drips from getting all over icky.

Once the oil is in the can then the stop at the gas station I put 5.0 gallons into the can. Note that the can may have already had up to a gallon of mixed gas still in it from the last ride, there is no need to completely empty the gas can before you add more.

Also note that a five gallon can will usually keep two bikes running for a day. If you are mixing for only one bike I would recommend a smaller batch so that you don't end up with gas sitting for months at a time.

Rod

d_alexand

May 14, 2007
mixing

Buy a ratio rite, good 2-stroke oil (always use the same brand), and a gas can so you can consistantly mix per gallon without guessing by the tank... the tank won't always be bone dry so there's no way you'll be consistant going by the motorcycles tank size and pouring directly into the bike.

32:1 is "safe" and recommended in manuals, but you can run up to 50:1. I run 40:1 with synthetic and try to always keep my bike tuned (jetting right, clean filter, fresh tranny oil, etc) and buy my gas from the same store near the track.

Screamn200

Aug 30, 2008
Think the 24:1 is way to much. I've always run my KDX on 32:1 with Castrol TTS and ridden it hard most weekends for about 4 years with no problems. My mate runs all his bikes 40:1 with no problems (i use 40:1 in my KTM too because the manual recommends that). in litres 32:1 is easy to work out...
8 litres to 250mls
16 litres to 500mls

oldbuck

Feb 8, 2005
I always use a high quality synthetic oil at 48:1

No idea what the KX tank size is, but you shouldn't be mixing in your tank anyway - just mix in a separate gas can - that way you can pick up 1, 2, or 5, gals of fuel and mix the correct amount of oil in it. As mentioned above, gas gets stale pretty quickly - don't mix up more than you'll use in a couple weeks.

-d

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom