OK guys C & C needed on motion blurs

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
This weekend lighting was brutal to work with and I got sick of working around glare on number plates and decided to try some bur shots.
I set up in TV mode using 1/125 and shot away

I seem to think now I was working backwards by using a lower (2.8) f stop to achieve the blur as the better ones seem to be in the 10 or 11 area

these were as close as I came to any keepers

IMG_9459copy.jpg

IMG_9420copy.jpg

IMG_9417copy.jpg

IMG_9400copy.jpg

IMG_9394copy.jpg

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
I usually do my panning with a relatively short lens, say my 17-40 or 24-70, and I also hit them with a flash if possible. I have tried to do shots like the ones you posted, but end up with about the same results. :bang: Below is a sample of what I've been doing lately with panning with the exif intact, but my general rule of thumb (FOR ME) is to start at 1/100 f10 iso100 and adjust from there.

3-St_Julie-EC-164.jpg

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Some of those look good to me on this poor monitor at work. The one of Eric appears decent and #84 looks like a hit. I'd like to try to flash some of the pans like Emile but I never seem to get around to it on a regular race day, sometimes I get too focused on getting the regular volume of shots instead of the stuff I want to shoot.

When I shoot pans of late it seems I use TV (shutter priority) at between 1/60 and 1/100, set the iso to 100 and let the f stop end up where TV priority sets it with the conditions. I shot a bunch of pans this weekend but don't have access to them at work, if I get a chance tomorrow afternoon I'll put a few up with exif. All my pans are on the ground, been trying to find a jump around here with a decent background to blur instead of just sky!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Thanks for the input I was using the TV and next time will go to a slower shutter as well. I think I also had the ISO set way to high after looking at your suggestions.
I wish I had played at the track the week before because the backgrounds were much better then what our track has.

Top Bottom