Mike R.

May 1, 2004
I rode the other day with my son in this field we go to close to home.
He rides a TTR90 so I stay pretty close by and dont leave him.
We found this nice straightaway that was about 70 yards long and we bothe ran the dickens outta it going up fast then slowing to a crawl (i would rap mine to keep her cleaned out) and away we went the other way.
Anyhow, as you guys know I exsperienced some plug fouling on my 04KX125.
I havent had time to jet it yet but I did back out the Air Screw another 1/2 turn to 3 versus the stock 2 1/2.
Anyhow I rode about an hour in what I would call stop and go conditions and I even shut the bike off like 3 times to help my son get weeds outta his brake lever and shifter.
It started back fine every time and after bringing it home I pulled the plug.
It was dark brown to black all over but dry not wet.
So, I assume I need to go as most others have advised from atleast the stock 40 Pilot to a 37.5 returning AS to 2 1/2 and rasing the Clip from the #3 to the #2 position and that will cure my rich problem (which actually doesnt seem to severe).
My real question is I frequent several forums and I was told this about Golden Spectro:
"Use any oil but Golden Spectro. It's one of the dirtiest oils on the market. It will leave huge amounts of deposits in the combustion chamber and on the power valves, and at any reasonable ratio (sorry, but 50:1 isn't, more on that in a minute), the spooge is impossible to jet away"
Well, ok so I am not sure if its true or not but I dont mind trying a Motul or Ipone, HR1 or Full Synthetic at all.
They all seem to think 32:1 is best so I am just curious what your guys opinions are.
Also if I do switch and drain the tank and refill with a new Pre-Mix at 32:1 approx. how long will it take to use up whats in the Float Bowl and is there any problem with it mixing with what new Pre-Mix is in the tank?
Thanks and my apologies for such a long post.

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
Mike,

I can't speak for Spectro really as I have only very limited experience with it. I know some who will use nothing else besides Spectro. I wouldn't completely discount it just because of what you read on some forum on the internet. (Hmm...isn't this just some forum on the internet where I'm telling you not to discount it....) Anyway, I wouldn't say it doesn't work just because of that.

There are many good oils out there. Motul, Maxima, Torco, Silkolene, Mobil, Red Line, Amsoil, Bel Ray, Klotz, on and on and on there are lots of them. These were just the ones that I could think of really quickly. If you don't care for Spectro then pick one of the others and go with it. Find something that is in your price range and is readily available to you. They will all do their job and perform as expected. Some say fully synthetic, some say synthetic blend, and some say mineral oil. I have used them all and do not know of one single oil related breakdown that I have had.

Mix Ratio? This, like oil brands, can become a very heavily discussed topic. I used to say mix everythig about 40 : 1 and you should be fine. Of late I have seen benefits in 125cc and less engines of going from 40:1 to 32:1 and up to 25:1. (These are race bikes I'm referring too). For 200cc and above a mix ratio of 40:1 should be fine. I'm with you and I don't often use a 50:1 mix ratio. For those that do I do not know of any problems. I just like a little more oil than that in my engine. I personaly use Maxima Super M at 40:1 for my KTM 300 and KX 250. I use this for just play riding and racing hare scrambles and enduros.

As for draining your fuel and doing a new pre mix etc. I wouldn't bother. If you want to go with a new oil then get your oil and mix it up. Then run your bike with it's present fuel until itis almost empty and put in your new fuel mix. I don't think that it will do any harm at all.

Were I you I would mix up my fuel with my favorite flavor of oil in the quantity of oil that I felt most comfortable with. Run a tank or two through the bike and start working on your jetting. I think you will be pleased with the results of most any oil at a sensible mix when you get it jetted properly.

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
Yeahh don't bother draining just go ride and when you get low try something new. I like Yamaha. Someone here suggested it, seems to run well enough, not overpriced, easily available. I've been running 40-1 in a KDX and a KX500 and that seems fine.

RM 2 fif T

Jul 17, 2004
you could just lean the bike over so the gas will come out the over flow tubes and that will empty your float bowl. then you can run your new mix. Also what i have been hearing is mobile mx2t is very good and is inexpensive and you can get it at any autozone. I have a new mix of it now and will be trying it out this week. Good luck

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
Fantastic great idea

about overflow.
Why didnt I think of that :clue:
BTW, I think I might try either the BelRay HR1 synthetic or Ipone Samarai Racing synthetic and poosibly the Motul 800.
All are Ester based and are suppose to be top notch I hear.
Is the Mobile ester based and 100% synthetic? Also what ratio do they recommend?
thanks for EVERYONES input also!

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Mike R. said:
about overflow.
Why didnt I think of that :clue:
BTW, I think I might try either the BelRay HR1 synthetic or Ipone Samarai Racing synthetic and poosibly the Motul 800.
All are Ester based and are suppose to be top notch I hear.
Is the Mobile ester based and 100% synthetic? Also what ratio do they recommend?
thanks for EVERYONES input also!

Its Bel Ray H1R. I have have great experiences with that oil, my friend uses is in his 04 KX-125 and its great stuff. I even reccomended it to a friend with a CR and he is using it now too. I can only speak for the Bel Ray, but Bel ray 'reccomends' 50:1. So its that, vrs the 32:1 kawasaki reccomends. My friend and I mix 36:1 no problems. Since not only is it synthetic, but its some THICK THICK stuff!

Regarding jetting: I have a few questions.. What spark plug are you using? My friend had gotten 2 R69xxxx which was a '9' heat range... expensive plugs (35$) and they deffinetly seemed to last longer on stock jetting when compared to the BR8EIX, BR9EIX, and BR8EG he tried. We both use BR8EGs now because they are only 3 dollars and do the trick. No performance difference at all, everything almost seemed better when I switched to the 8 heat range plug, oh and not to mention its been in there since February. So switching to an 8 heat range plug (I reccomend the BR8EG over the BR8EIX because for one thing its cheaper, it doesent have the delicate ceramic tip that can break off and damage your piston and entire top end, and it does the same thing.

I would go right now whenever you get the chance and pull up the needle clip one position and see how it is. This made a big difference for me. I went around a month and a half just doing this, before I finally put the 37.5 in, which helped more, and then the 35 which helped even more. Still waiting for a 410 main jet though. All thru this timeframe never fouling.

Anyway, good luck post back if you need help!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I think DanAKAL said it well. I use the Maxima SuperM at 32:1 in my 250. I haven't done a thing to the jetting since I got it. My old '96 YZ125 I had dialed in perfectly and (with the same oil and mix) didn't spooge a bit. With this new to me 250, it had Yamalube in it when I got it and that spooged a lot. I changed to the Maxima and the spooge is nearly gone so that tells me that I still have a little jetting work to do.

j-bo

Jun 1, 2002
If you go to a full synthetic.. you MUST drain it all out. It is not compatible, it will not mix.

I was using spectro years ago, and had the same problem of alot of deposits. Went to KLOTZ and it was really good, however after my buddy tore his down I changed my mind again.
I know use SIlkolen PRO 2 SX..... it's a full synthetic. Super stuff. I just did a topend job, and after tearing it down, I could have put the piston back in, it was that clean and unhurt.
I mix at 40:1.
It may be a buck more expensive or so, but well worth it. I won't use anything but the pro2sx from now on.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
I use the same set up as Tiylu, NGK BR8EG plug, H1R mixed at 36:1 with a 50/50 mix of race fuel and 93 octane. This combination has worked great for me and I feel that the H1R has excellent lubricating properties and has kept my bikes running great. Sure, the H1R is a little more expensive than some other oils, but it gives me peace of mind and great performance.

Funny thing, I saw the Amsoil truck driving down I-95 the other day and both the driver and passenger were staring at my bike (in the back of my truck). I guess they were wondering what oil I use. They didn't offer any free samples though.

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
Well Danakal said it wont hurt if a little gets mixed

But just a few posts someone said I must drain it all and its not compatible.
Ok, so whos right????

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
j-bo said:
If you go to a full synthetic.. you MUST drain it all out. It is not compatible, it will not mix.
I guess that I don't buy into this. I have never seen anything that says the two don't mix. In fact from every lubricant manufacturer where I have bothered to look their data says that their oil is compatible with almost all other syn, semi-syn, and mineral oils. I'll go see if I can dig up a few links and put them up here. I know for certain that I mixed Golden Spectro and Maxima Super M semi-syn for a couple of tanks and my 300 EXC is still kickin' a$$ and takin' names.

Also, I'm no chemical or mechanical engineer. I'm an electrical engineer.

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
Thanks

And yes that was the post I was referring to.
I wont do anything until I find out for sure I reckon. Not to mention also until I find time.

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
Amsoil http://www.amsoil.com/frequent.htm#compatible
Klotz http://www.klotzlube.com/support/techsheets/KL-300.pdf
Spectro http://www.spectro-oils.com/faqs.htm
Red Line http://www.redlineoil.com/tech_faq.asp

These are the ones that I found very quickly. I'm sure there are other manufacturers that say the same things as these guys.

Mike, if you are really this concerned about switching premix oils then remove the tank and drain it. Put in some new fuel with your new premix and shake it liberally then drain it and reinstall your tank. Then drain and remove your carb bowl. This will get all of the fuel out and you will have a very clean fuel system. Should take no more than an hour to complete. With this done you can get started on jetting your bike.

Then after you are all finished with this send me the fuel you drained out of your bike and I'll put it in my bike on top of whats already in there and go race a hare scramble.

Dan

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Mike R. said:
But just a few posts someone said I must drain it all and its not compatible.
Ok, so whos right????
When I ran out of my Maxima, I mixed up some Golden spectro I had around. Poured it in and had no problems. There is no problem with mixing the oils. BTW, I HATE Golden spectro because it is very spoogy and leaves all sorts of deposits on my piston and power valve.

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
DanAKAL said:
Then after you are all finished with this send me the fuel you drained out of your bike and I'll put it in my bike on top of whats already in there and go race a hare scramble.
Dan
HeHe now that is funny

j-bo

Jun 1, 2002
Let me rephrase.. according to the folks at Silkolene..A FULL SYNTHETIC will not mix with an oil based, well.. oil. It may just be the PRO 2 SX that doesn't mix with the others.

I mean, geez, it's not that hard to drain the tank and fuel bowl is it?

Use the drained fuel in your lawnmower!

Last edited:
Top Bottom