okay tech nerds -- protected AAC music files

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
How can I "unprotect" music files, such as those I get from the iTunes, so I can convert them to the more usable mp3 format?

thanks.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
You need to copy them to 8-track and then re-digitize them.

sigurd

Jun 24, 2007
right idea, wrong medium

Your Google toolbar break Mr. XRPredator?

VintageDirt said:
You need to copy them to 8-track and then re-digitize them.
Correct premise ;)....

http://askbobrankin.com/convert_itunes_to_mp3_format.html

askbobrankin said:
Method 1: Burn the track(s) to a CD, then you can open the CD in iTunes and the Convert Selection to MP3 will do exactly what you want. Just be aware that you'll have TWO copies of that song in iTunes -- one in the original AAC format and one in MP3 format. You can delete the AAC version if you like. (Note that you must burn an audio CD, not a data CD. Check the setting in Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Burning if you have a problem importing tracks from the CD.)

Method 2: If you have lots of music, you might need a big pile of CDs to convert everything with the "burn and rip" method above. That's where software can help. A "virtual CD drive" such as NoteBurner or CD Emulator can simulate a real CD burner, eliminating the need for real CD-R discs. The Windows operating system will treat the virtual drive just like a real one, so you can tell your CD burning software to access the virtual drive by it's own drive letter.

The JHymn software can also help. JHymn was created to allow you to exercise your fair-use rights under copyright law, and will free your iTunes music from DRM restrictions with no loss of sound quality. JHymn provides a drag and drop graphical interface for both Mac OSX and Windows users. But currently, JHymn will not work with iTunes Version 6 or higher. If you have an earlier version of iTunes, keep it! (To download older versions of many software titles, check the OldVersion.com or OldApps.com sites.)

Note that JHymn is not meant to aid music piracy, but it does contradict the iTunes user agreement, and may not be legal in your country. You should be aware of the legalites of DRM circumvention in your country and make your own decision whether using JHymn software is right for you. Then use JHymn only for making archival copies of your own music, for copying tracks to an MP3 player, or for playing your music on a non-Itunes platform.

NOTE: For a Jhymn alternative, check out QTFairUse for Windows, and some other options for Mac users at that link.

Along the same lines, the ImTOO Video to Audio Converter can convert AAC files to MP3. But since there is no legal AAC decoder, this program operates under the same legal cloud as JHymn.

For more information on the legalities of DRM circumvention, see
http://hymn-project.org/jhymndoc/jhymn_faq.php#legal

Last edited:
May 10, 2007
just remember that this is all in the gray area of the law.

and through i tunes some songs can ge bought for i think 1.22 cents but im not sure its a little over a dollar and they are unprotected aac files. i had the same problem a little while ago.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I bought the song, I can do with it whatever I want. So there. :fft:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
What I did not like was that I couldn't switch the songs I put on my Ipod from CDs I actually own to another non Apple memory card. I wanted to switch the playlist over so I could use it with the GPS on my street bike. I ended up having to re download everything into my windows file and then I put them on my memory card. Just does not make sense I couldn't use a playlist consisting entirely of songs from CDs I bought. I guess once they go into the I tunes file they no longer are yours anymore

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
you can also put the songs on a cd and then redownload them onto your computer. that will get rid of it. I Tunes is now offering a new kind of songs. when you go to buy them and theres a little plus by them. they are more expensive but they come unprotected. you can add them to non apple stuff like a regular mp3 player or psp.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
How many quads per channel is that?

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Damn, thats a lot.

Top Bottom