Okie, Polkie and gang on high ground, I pray?

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I heard that somewhere near Galena there was 8 to 10 inches of rain yesterday. Also a small pocket northwest of Dubuque shows 10" on the NWS map.

I started paying attention when the Mississippi went up over a foot today. I knew the Wisconsin River was already high, I was just up that way this week.

Researching today, I see incredible amounts of rain north of my folks place here on the Mississippi. They are predicting an 8 foot rise by Monday here. Unprecedented during my short lifetime, anyway. Good thing I built a levee here back in 2001!

Anyway, hope all is well with your folks. (I thought of them when I was in Galena on Tuesday.)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Scooter and I just happen to be in Galena visiting the folks ... Just in time for the water :) yesterday, the water was just about up to main street, then receded, then rain all night again last night, sirens going off this morning, they may have closed the flood gates, we're going downtown for a look, will take some pics if there is anything to see. Like Dave said, Pokie's place is high up above town, basement did get a little water, but not much.

Thanks for the post! Hope everyone there stays dry.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Okiewan said:
Thanks for the post! Hope everyone there stays dry.

NTx Got a light sprinkle ... hope you left your sprinklers on.

Give Mom a hug for me and shake Pokie's hand ... we need a DW, even if we don't take any bikes. I miss everyone!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
From behind the flood gate.... Bridge in distance, the water is usually 20 feet wide max.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d2drjiNcsSs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d2drjiNcsSs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Tony Eeds said:
NTx Got a light sprinkle ... hope you left your sprinklers on.

Give Mom a hug for me and shake Pokie's hand ... we need a DW, even if we don't take any bikes. I miss everyone!
The hell with it give both shiftless and Pokie a hug for me
That really is something that the gate can hold it that dry

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
oldguy said:
The hell with it give both shiftless and Pokie a hug for me

Good point ... some days I live up to my hair color. :)

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Still waiting on the crest here.

The Maquoketa River has, and is still, broken it's all-time records on it's way down here. Not many river stage recorders between there and here. I'll find out just how good the weekend Hydrology engineers are at the NWS, in short order.

The clear weather gives me great comfort. We're good so far. Any higher, though, and I get to put on my ingineer boots, hat, and cape! :nod: ;) :yikes:

Thanks for the video, Okie. Glad all was ok there.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…