Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
One of the only good things about having a job where you get called out at all hours of the night is getting to see parts of the city I don't normally travel to in the still of the night. These pics are from the Canal St bridge that crosses the South Branch of the Chicago River near Canal and Cermak. It's in a really cool old industrial section of the city. Due to time constraints this was more of a scouting mission than anything else, but I did find that there are a ton of incredible images in this area. There is a really old ship yard near by that is just begging to be shot.

I'm planning on going back when I have more time so I can do it right. I think shooting this area as the sun is coming up will make it really spectacular. Hopefully I can capture the images I have swirling around in my head after seeing it all again.

Till then, here's a couple I liked from Thursday night.

DSC_2521_BW.jpg

DSC_2531_BW_1a.jpg

DSC_2526_BW_crop.jpg

DSC_2529_NX_Sepia.jpg

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The bridge is 60 years old and this is the fourth one on this site. I would have loved to shoot the first three.

Attachments

• DSC_2538.jpg
    DSC_2538.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 212

dohp

Feb 16, 2009
awesome photos, looks like the shutter was left open for quite a while in the photos

are you using a sony? i just see "DSC" in the filenames (tried to look at your EXIF but it's been stripped out)

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Cool shots Rich! I can't decide which one I like best. I'm leaning toward #3. Very dramatic composition. You are the master of the B&W conversion!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thanks Kawi - Number 3 is my favorite too. I like it enough to get a big print of it.

I've been playing with a new B&W conversion tool from Nik Software called Silver Efex Pro. It's the coolest most powerful B&W tool I've ever seen. You should check out the demo, you'd really like it.

http://www.niksoftware.com/silverefexpro/usa/entry.php

Here's the first conversion I did with the demo

DSC_0197_sfx_2a.jpg

dohp said:
awesome photos, looks like the shutter was left open for quite a while in the photos

are you using a sony? i just see "DSC" in the filenames (tried to look at your EXIF but it's been stripped out)

Thanks dohp - The shutter speed was in the 6-10 second range. I'll post the EXIF data tonight if you are really interested.

I shot these with a Nikon D300 using a Sigma 10-20mm lens.

dohp

Feb 16, 2009
i'm always interested in seeing the EXIF from all photos, just to see where one started out with a certain photo, then you can judge somewhat to see how they edited it etc.
hope you didn't take offense to the Sony thing :) a D300 is a nice camera

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Thursday night at canal and cermak? Moonlighting as a cop? I know that area has changed A LOT in the last 15 years! Thats near where they moved the hot tool sales, from Taylor street to Canal. They set up Saturday morning. All them new townhouse villages on the east side of the river? I liked the 3rd pic, it makes the bridge look more immense? Have you ever tried shooting around the Lower Wacker area?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Have you ever tried shooting around the Lower Wacker area?

Bob - That's on my To Do list. :cool:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Rich Rohrich said:
Bob - That's on my To Do list. :cool:

The lower wacker area is on your to do list? Hope Gomer doesn't frequent the photo forum :yikes:

The more I look at them that bit of skyline in #1 really adds to that one, now I"m not sure which is my favorite.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Chili said:
The more I look at them that bit of skyline in #1 really adds to that one, now I"m not sure which is my favorite.

Doug - That's the shot I went there for, but I only had the wide-angle 10-20 lens with me. I'll go back with my 70-200mm lens and try to reshoot it to compress the view and get a bit more of the skyline in. As I was leaving I saw a great view from the other side of the bridge facing back towards the city that I'd like to capture.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Rich Rohrich said:
Thanks Kawi - Number 3 is my favorite too. I like it enough to get a big print of it.

I've been playing with a new B&W conversion tool from Nik Software called Silver Efex Pro. It's the coolest most powerful B&W tool I've ever seen. You should check out the demo, you'd really like it.

http://www.niksoftware.com/silverefexpro/usa/entry.php

Here's the first conversion I did with the demo

DSC_0197_sfx_2a.jpg

Thanks dohp - The shutter speed was in the 6-10 second range. I'll post the EXIF data tonight if you are really interested.

I shot these with a Nikon D300 using a Sigma 10-20mm lens.

SICK. No more to say.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Very cool Rich.

I love the black and white stuff.

The train shot is awesome.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thanks.

I got the train yard shot at dawn on Christmas Eve while I was working at 34th and Pulaski. It's an old industrial area with a ton of cool images everywhere you look.

Here's a few more from just North of the train yard .

DSC_1966_neg_blu_DRN.jpg

D200_0714_2_DRN.jpg

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
Thanks.
It's cool old industrial area with a ton of cool images everywhere you look.

Reminds me of where I grew up. McKeesport Pa. Right in the middle of the rust belt. Used to play in the train yards as a youngster. Remember the glow in the sky from the steel mills at night.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Another example of what Silver Efex can do.

D300_0645_sfx_1a_drn.jpg

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
LOVE that top train pic! It almost has a little "High Pass Filter" look to it. Very cool. Is that software fairly intuitive?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Kawidude said:
LOVE that top train pic! It almost has a little "High Pass Filter" look to it. Very cool. Is that software fairly intuitive?

I can use it so it must be simple. :)

The train yard picture was just a simple click and go conversion using the demo. I used mostly the defaults in one of the pre-built filters.

I bought the software last night so I'm going to try and learn all the functionality. It has Zone system features that are really cool and has the Nik Software U-Point system that effectively does what PS does in Layers and Masks, without building Layers and Masks. It's unreal.

The ability to do really powerful changes with really simple selective tools is what sold me on it. I use the Nikon Raw converter that Nik Software wrote for 95% of my work so I'm pretty spoiled on using U-Points.

Lots more B&W in my future. :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Whats the chance of Rich shooting a vintage MX race?

Bob - I suck at shooting MX stuff. I'll leave that to the guys who are good at it. My moto shooting peaked in the late 70s when I shot a muddy National at Red Bud and got a great shot of Hannah. :whoa:

Here's one from that race. I "think" the rider is Gaylon Mosier, but I didn't take good notes that day.

Attachments

• maico_redbud_rr_1.jpg
    maico_redbud_rr_1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Ahh the link had issues. Is fiddling with others pics an issue? I can't help it, every picture I seen of your black and white work, told me vintage race pics would look killer! Late 70's, I was probably there, physically. The fall races were most memorable.

Top Bottom