pookie

May 29, 2005
I was on here years ago for the same question but never asked it. I spent some time reading the what bike posts tonight and realized I'm the old guy looking for a bike compared to the guys that are 14-16 years old. I need help though...

Here's the answers:
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
height 5'11 weight 185-190
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
usually pretty laid back but I like to go fast
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
trails, woods, fields
4) Do you have any riding experience?
I took a motorcycle safety course a few years ago but never bought a bike. I've been on fourwheelers both auto and manual shifters.
5) Do you think you will race ?
No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I like working on cars. I'd like a bike I can do the work on.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
No real preference as for brand, reliability and ease of parts would be a pluses. I think I'd prefer a 4 stroke...just because.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
I have a couple dealers near me but I was thinking of going used.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
No real set amount. I'd say $2500 and under.
10) Do you live in California?
Nope. TN
11) Your age?
cough...30....cough
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I've been into cars for years, and I like to turn a wrench or two. I was in a Jeep club for a few years, and while out on a trail some guys on bikes passed us and I thought it looked like fun. I'm worried about not having places to ride. So if anyone has any ideas for that it would be great too.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
To start with, I don't consider 30 to be old!

I am 52 and I started riding about 5 years ago. My first bike was a 1986 Yamaha YZ-125. I love that bike but I would not recommend it for a first time beginner.

When I started riding it never occurred to me that I might race, yet here I am competing in Enduros. I suck at it, but I have a great time regardless. When I started competing the YZ-125 was no longer suitable so I upgraded to a 250 two stroke.

You should keep in mind that dirt bikes come in a range of styles. The "top end" are the MX bikes, which are built for racing/jumping/track use. They are built light and lack luxury items such as kickstands. They are also expensive new but the two strokes get fairly cheap when they still have a lot of life left in them. An example of a MX bike is a Yamaha YZ-xxx

The opposite end of the spectrum are the "off road" models, such as the Yamaha TTR-230 or Honda CRF230. These bikes have detuned motors that will tolerate lower octane gas, are significantly heavier, substantially less suspension travel and are much cheaper (like half the cost of a MX bike).

In between there are "cross over" or "dual sport" bikes. A dual sport is capable of being street licensed although the street tires suck in the dirt and the dirt tires are not legal on the road. Dual sport licensing varies state to state so a bike that is legal in one state may not be in another.

What I would suggest for you is to look for a used "off road" model, such as the Yamaha TTR-230. These are four stroke models and are easy to learn. For your size I wouldn't go any smaller than 230cc. Plan on keeping this bike for a year or two and then trading up to something bigger such as a YZ-450F or a WR-450F.

Alternatively, you could look for a dual sport bike that is licensed for the street. The dual sport would allow you to ride those jeep trails and use the public roads to get from one trail to the next. I don't recommend riding your dual sport with dirt tires in the city or freeway, however.

As far as the brand, all of the major manufacturers build a good bike so it is basically pick your favorite color.

Rod

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'd recommend a post-'96 Honda XR250 or XR400. You can't go wrong with either of them, they are virtually indestructible, seat height might be a tad high, but for plonking around the woods and whatnot, they are the bee's knees. Neither is heavier than the 230cc models that olderthandirtguy mentions, and neither will get you into too much trouble if you have a modicum of throttle control.

Then, you can either continue to enjoy the bike you find, or upgrade to one of the "racier" models that rmc mentioned.

and while I'm not as old as olderthandirt, I'll have to agree with him that 30 sure as heck ain't old.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom