Higgsy

Mar 23, 2005
Hey guys, what would a 1979 RM100 be worth now a days?
I was thinking of getting something cheap for my wife to see if she likes ridding. She is short so I thought this would be a great bike to start out on. Any good suggestions or opionions would be great.
thanks

indicaz

Sep 8, 2007
I have seen them on craigslist running for about $400

be careful parts are a hassle to find.

Why not go with a newer RM 80? or 125 they can be had on craigslist for under 1000 for something in the high late 90's

400 or approx 800-1000 big difference. However that old RM will cost ya an arm and a leg to fix if something goes wrong.

my wife is short.. 5 foot 4 she is pretty comfortable on an 80 however way too small for my 125

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've not ridden '79 RM100, but it seems to me that the power delivery on a non-powervalved two stroke race bike might not be beginner friendly. One of my friends had an old '73 TM100 (predecessor to the RM) and the power was on or off with that bike.

If you are determined to go vintage, inexpensive and low seat height, how about a dual sport like a Suzuki TS, TC or DS 100, 125, or 185, Honda XL 100, 125 or 175, Yamaha DT 100, 125 (with electric start), 175, or Kawasaki KE or KD 100, 125 or 175.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I had a 78km100 kawasaki for a few years when I was 10. It was a great beginner bike. I've seen similar bikes go for under 500 in good shape. I've also seen a few in the back of some peoples barns. You can also find some newer 80s for cheap. Good luck and have fun! My wife has just started riding as well and has really taken a liking for it.

Higgsy

Mar 23, 2005
The RM is for sale in my area. I would rather buy a mx bike because I know my other 2 kids will probably ride it also. I just thought a mx bike would hold up better. I could tame it down for her by installing a heavier flywheel and changing the gearing.

Higgsy

Mar 23, 2005
I know a good machinist that could make a weight.
And I don't see any 4 strokes in my future. The xr 's are great but we have three 2 stroke's in the garage now so I might as well keep mixing my gas.
Out all the people on the forum to suggest a XR I would have never thought it would come from you. LOL

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Higgsy - a 79 RM100 is likely the worst possible choice for a bike for you wife to try out riding on! (Unless your goal is to make sure she doesnt like it. ) I would not recommend any small bore two stroke for that purpose - even a brand new one! Even for kids just starting out - a old RM is not the way to go. I almost entirely scared my youngest son away from riding by putting him on a pipey little two stroke before he was ready for it. We switched to a easy to ride and learn on 4 stroke (a TTr ) - he suddenly loved riding.

Old school RMs had nothing for power down low due to how they were ported, then a hit. - sticking a flywheel weight on it will not make it newbie friendly. Newer two stroke with power valves have way more on the bottom than the old school stuff. Parts can be found...if you lots of time to search for them. Buy a few hundred spark plugs to...plonking along at a newbie pace will foul lots of them. If riden much, it will require plenty of maintenance (with those hard to find parts). Give some serious thought to something like others have suggested - any old "street trail" sort of two stroke would be much better for a newbie - or the 4 strokes. While more money, a used TTr125 is one heck of a great little bike. You can find them for under $1500...and I suspect some of the bit older ones (2001?) maybe down around $1000 by now. Xrs are a great pick to.

Now - if you reeallly want an old RM for sake of having a "vintage" bike - RMs can be a blast to restore (I have done several)

Jan 3, 2007
Higgsy, just because i love 2 strokes dose not mean i will give out bad advice. I think you would be best off with a 4 stroke but if you must buy the RM get you buddie to make a flywheel, a pipe spacer, and reed spacer to give it more bottom end and less of a hit.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
I'm not sure how the 79 RM100 is, but the 78 and 79 YZ100s are a chore to ride. So little power at low rpm's, ya gotta slip that clutch a bunch, especially on the '79. I wouldn't even consider riding it anywhere except the vintage motocross tracks. Good old Yamaha IT 125 or 175 would be good. Most likely the Suzuki DS and PE models and Kawasaki KD models would be good choices too. Lood around and be patient, not a lot of riding season left this year anyway.

Higgsy

Mar 23, 2005
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The RM is for sale in my area that's why I asked about them. I thought if the wife didn't like it than it would still be a fun bike to play with. My kids are riding a KTM 65 sx and a Yamaha PW 80. I think it would be something that they would like to ride also.
The guy selling the RM was asking $650 and offered him $400 and he didn't bite. His best offer was $575 so far. I'll keep looking there's no rush.
And Zoommx I use to have a PE 175 that was a fun bike also. At least with a older bike I can shave the seat foam down easier for my short legged wife. :laugh:
I hope the weather stays nice for a while yet because I've missed out on a month of riding so far due to a broken foot.
I think I'll be installing ice studs to extend my riding season. LOL!

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
I sold a reconditioned '79 RM-100 last July for $400. I had totally rebuilt the forks and went through the engine (crank mains, new bore and seat cover). It looked pretty good when I was finished. But the market for an old 100 2 stroke isn't that strong, so you should be able to get a real deal.

Power wise, in my opinion, was very mellow. The guy that bought it was going to use it to teach his 14 year old daughter how to ride. She was about 5'4" so it really look like a perfect idea ~ and she loved it.

If you can afford a newer bike there's many options. A Suzuki DRZ-125 comes to mind, but be sure that what ever you decide to get, make sure that your wife likes the bike.

How tall is your wife? You may have to start with something even smaller if she's under 5'4". We use to start new riders out on a friends KE-100. They are so mellow and smooth that EVERYONE that learned on it had a blast, and all of them moved up to better bikes.

Higgsy

Mar 23, 2005
Zig06 thanks for the tips. My wife is 5' 4" and she use to ride with her 2 older brothers growing up so she does have some experience. I'll keep looking around, something will come up.

Higgsy

Mar 23, 2005
Well just an up date for ya. We did find a 1979 RM 125. My son is going to ride it this summer. I'll post a picture as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Top Bottom