KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
I'm new here and I love this place already. Well I have a suggestion and a question about older KDX's. I just bought and installed A MSR Raptor Clutch assembly. It made a huge difference in the clutch pull. I love it! It says it makes it 325% easier and I was like yeah right but it does! Also does anybody know if DG actually makes a difference. I've heard on here that it runs like stock. If so can you suggest a company that makes aftermarket pipes for old bikes. Mine is a '85 and DG is the only company I've found so far. If you guys could give me links to or any names that would help alot.

rgalbraith

May 18, 2003
Aftermarket Pipes

Hi,

I'm in the middle of doing a restoration and upgrade regime to my '84 200. I looked everywhere for a pipe and the only one I could find available is the DG unit. If you want one of those, you better hurry because when I bought mine a month ago, there were only four pipes and silencers left in the DG warehouse, and they weren't going to make any more. If you can actually find another company that has a system, be sure to post. I'm afraid that the old bikes are just out of luck now. :whiner:

rgalbraith

May 18, 2003
KAWA200'sRule said:
rgalbraith,
Where did you buy it from?

I got it directly from DG. Tucker-Rocky and Parts Unlimited (your local dealer's suppliers) no longer stock them. Look DG up on the web, and give them a call. The pipe was $190.00. I can't remember how much the silencer was, but it was expensive. As the salesman said, where else ya gonna go?

Randy

rgalbraith

May 18, 2003
I think if you ask the old timers that you will find that there used to be more selection in terms of pipes. Do a search of the archives and you will find that back in the day there were pipe makers around that are as extinct today as the dinosaurs. As an example, I have the remains of an Answer silencer with the add on Answer Legalizer spark arrester that was put on the bike by the original owner in '84, and went with the bike when I purchased it from that gentleman in '88. Wouldn't have considered replacing it with DG, but it got badly beaten up. I don't know what the last year was that Answer quit making exhaust products, but there were other companies as well that just disappeared. And yes, they supported this bike. It's a shame that offroad motorcycles are such disposable items. Even OEM parts are next to impossible to get now.

BTW, if anyone wants a new spring for the rear shock, I just bought the last one that RaceTech had, and I got the impression that they won't be making any more. Same story from Eibach. RaceTech told me that they didn't have any last week, then called me back and said that they were cleaning some old parts out of a storage room and were going to throw then away when they found what I was looking for. Second time I've gotten lucky with this restoration. :worship:

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I bought the DG pipe and silencer for my 88 in February. It made a huge difference in the bike, after the jetting.
Some parts are getting hard to find. I got a rear spring from Eibach, it is .200 bigger in diameter than the stock spring. I had to make a collar for the bottom of the shock in order to use the new spring. The techs at eibach said that I had the right p/n spring for my bike. Good thing I have access to a machine shop.

88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
I replaced the stock muffler on my 88kdx with a DG type 2 silencer last year and it made a huge difference on the STOCK pipe. I also got the little cobra sparky spark arrestor to bolt on to the end of the silencer because no one makes a spark arrestor for this bike these days.

rgalbraith

May 18, 2003
JasonWho,

I see you have an '87. Lo and behold, the latest Dennis Kirk catalog showed up today, and I do believe that they list an FMF pipe for your model. Also, DG no longer has the '83-'85 pipe listed, so I guess DG was telling me the truth.

You would think that I would know the model # of the spring off the top of my head. I'll have to get back to you on that one, as the shock and spring are now in the local shop being assembled. I lack the necessary tools to complete that task. Hopefully, I will be picking it up tomorrow, so I can report back with the part number.

BTW, why would you want a stock silencer? Are you into true restoration?

Randy

rgalbraith

May 18, 2003
Mystery DG Pipe

I assume you are speaking of the expansion chamber and not the silencer. The DG Type II silencer is aluminum. The DG expansion chamber I just bought is a mild steel that came with a clear coating to protect it during shipment. I called DG to see if the coating would last and the answer was an emphatic no. I ended up using VHT Flameproof clearcoat on mine and baking it on the grill. I am positive that mine is steel and it will rust if it is not coated.

If your expansion chamber is what is so light and not rusting, you may have an oddity on your hands. I don't remember any company making the expansion chamber out of aluminum.

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
My Eibach spring is the model with the 888 p/n. I wish I would have coughed up the extra 80 dollars and bought the heavier OEM spring. All the aftermarket parts I have installed so far are not the same quality as the Kawasaki parts. I guess you get what you pay for :ugg:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom