Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
Several years ago I used to race shifter karts and everyone has on-baord lap timers. The most popular was the Aim-sportsystems Micron model. A infrared beacon is set up track side on a photo tri-pod and your times are displayed and recorded. The product worked great for karts.

I have never seen anyone using these on motocross bikes. Aimsports makes a bike version for @ $225.

Has anyone had any experience using them on mx bikes?

I usually am at the track by myself so asking someone to run the stopwatch is a pain.

Thanks,

Walt

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I just returned to MX after a 2 year hiatus to race karts (pavement oval). The MyChron Lite MCL is definitely at the top of my list of stuff to buy this winter. Definitely before pipe/silencer, etc. After using a similar unit in karting, I can definitely see this being a useful tool in MX. Much like a membership to the gym, this is one investment that I can see paying dividends on the track.

And the MyChron looks to be a lot simpler and lighter unit than that Power Start.

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
I am going to order one. In karting I got so used to lap times as a way of life it kind of feels odd not to check them in MX. Feeling like you were going faster didn't always mean you were going faster. Especially in races you can keep an eye on your times and them step it up if you start to slack off in late laps. The micron looks small enough to mount behind the number plate. And it is much cheaper then the kart version since it does not come with all of the extra sensors used in karting.

- Walt

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I agree on being used to the lap time thing! After all, that's what it's all about...all the parts, prep, etc, it all comes down to how fast you get around the track, and how consistently!

Please make sure to post once you get one and try it out, and I'll do the same.

Top Bottom