MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Well, it wasn't supposed to happen like this. I had offered to help a co-worker pick out a dirt bike for easy going trail riding, and he had settled on a Yamaha TTR-250 (first dirt bike, has the happy button, and green sticker in CA). Didn't think it would be a big deal, just go down to the dealership & show him around a bit.

Well I knew better. See, this was also a KTM dealership (among other things), and I have secretly lusted over the 400EXC since last year. No way could I afford such an exotic piece of machinery, but that didn't stop me from testing the waters a bit. Calling several KTM dealerships located throughout California this last summer, I inquired about price & availability.

One guy laughed at me.

From several outright rejections, I quickly began to realize that all the rumors had been true: procuring a KTM400/520EXC was darn near impossible. And how about the price? Can you say 'Full Retail’? How about ‘Waiting List’? Distraught, I gave up on the subject altogether. But then I went to the dealership yesterday.

Just so happens they had one KTM450EXC left, and according to the salesman, this was the last one he expected to have for quite some time (naturally, I figured this was a sales pitch). I'm not sure if availability on the EXC line is keeping up with demand this year, but I was quite shocked to see that they had my dream bike right there, it real life real time, right in front of me. I have been to other KTM dealerships at various times since last summer, and have seen only one 525EXC.

Turns out I went on a good day. End of the month, and salesman are trying to meet quotas. Hummmm ... suddenly I showed hesitation in the buy, and chocked it up to 'my wife would kill me'. He left me alone for a bit while I helped my co-worker look over the TTR. A few minutes later he comes back, and says he'll knock off $500. Now, from everything I've heard, this bike is hardly ever discounted. It's not much of a break off of such an expensive bike, but I figured it was my lucky day.

I now have a brand new 03 KTM450EXC sitting in my garage :)

It was supposed to be my co-worker with a new bike (his credit was denied lol), but instead it was me. Wife is actually taking it pretty well to my surprise.

I'm researching what I should do to prep the bike and any mods I need to make. Also looking into the proper break in procedure. I’ve read the service manual (English section) front to back. If anyone could offer some basic advice apart from what the service manual says on the break in procedure I'd appreciate it ;)

Matt
Clovis, CA

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Visit www.enduroeng.com and look over the goodies you may need for it. Handguards, skidplates, sharkfins, and most important other than hand guards is the clutch guard. Giddyup! You are gonna love your new bike. Oh yeah, get those scotts oil filters for it, I hear they are the way to go. I have a 2 smoker so I don't use them.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
:yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Congratulations Matt ! Excellent choice ... and good timing, huh? Bet you can't wait for next weekend ...

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Fred T -- thanx for the advice! I ordered bark busters and an oversized aluminum skid plate already ... I'll look into the shark fin. Also, is scotts a brand name of oil filter?

Eel -- Actually, next week at the Piglet/Boar is going to be agony!! I have to work pretty much straight through until next weekend, so I won't even have time to perform the 'running-in' procedure (break in) on the new KTM ... not to mention my CheckMate is ready to go on the KLX, and I don't have another sensor bracket to do the computer install on the new bike. This may be my last enduro with the KLX300.

While I'm riding that Kawasaki I'll be dreaming of my new pumpkin :)

Matt

mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
Matt:

The following is the (very good) advice from another user (JEB). I actually got this off another site where he posted it but he posts here occasionally too.

--SNIP--

Jeb’s New Bike Setup Procedure

-Wheel bearings out, seals popped off with a knife, pack with grease, put the seals back on, reinstall. Make sure you take the C clip off before removing the bearings. I use BelRay waterproof grease.
-It'd be a good idea to replace the too soft rear wheel spacers right away before they cost you spacers and bearings, too. There are after market ones available from WER and erider with hard steel where the seals ride. These will save you money.
-Chain rollers bearings. They push out easily once the roller is off but you have to take a screwdriver and push from the inside middle as there is a plastic divider between the bearings. Grease like wheel bearings.
-Rear brake pivot bearings. Push them out and grease as above.
-Swingarm bearings. Just grease these by forcing grease into the needle bearings in place and roll them a bit. Be careful not to dislodge any of the needles.
-Steering stem bearings. You'll have to grease the bottom one in place as it's pressed on.
-Front and rear caliper slide pins. Not the brake pad pins but the guide pins that the calipers actually floats on.

-Blue loctite the shifter bolt, kickstarter bolt, bolts under the rear fender that hold it to the subframe and the big bolt that holds the front of the fender brace to the fender on the EXC models.
-Red locktite the 4 main subframe bolts. Since they're larger and coarse threaded, the red is not permanent in this application. Also red loctite the little plastic knob on the headlight push/pull switch on the US EXC models.
-Check your spokes and every bolt for tightness for the first couple of rides until they settle in. Don't overdue it on the smaller bolts or spokes, though.

Cut a 4" or so piece of old dirtbike intertube and slip it over the bottom of the shock and ziptie it over the joint. That helps keep some of the mud and dirt out of the joint, too. Here's a picture:
http://pws.chartermi.net/~jejb/pictures/heim_guard.jpg

Re-torque the engine frame bolts. Check all radiator, brakes, clutch, oil levels.

Most of the above is just normal for me with any new bike I get. KTM's seem to come with pretty good grease so you may be able to get by without doing some of it but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

--SNIP--

Good luck with the new bike!!

Brad Donati

Oct 20, 2001
Hey Matt, congrats on the new bike!! As for the mounting of the sensor, on my 02 520 MXC there is a hole that is tapped on the front caliper bracket that accepts the sensor for my Checkmate computer, screws right in. I also ordered the factory magnet from KTM that attaches to the front disc. (If you look at the disc, ther is one cut out that has a circle on it, that is where the magnet for the KTM odo goes. I run this set up and it works killer! good Luck with your bike!

Brad Donati
2003 KTM 625SXC
2002 KTM 520 MXC

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Thanx for the suggestions mrmodine, much appreciated ;) I will be going through the bike before I put it on dirt, and will follow many of those suggestions.

After closer inspection, Brad Donati & Buckholz are correct, the 03 EXC front calipers come stock with the sensor hole predrilled & the magnet pickup (for the electronic odo that comes with the bike), sweet!! :)

The more I learn about this bike the better I like it!

Matt

Top Bottom