one person truck cap removal??

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
just wondering if anyone has ingenious ideas to remove a fiberglass truck cap off a ford ranger. looking for one man removal, preferably something cheap easy quick . it would be nice to just get it lifted in the garage and pull away, stop, load bike, close door and leave :ride:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Ummm, pulleys, rope, eye boles and some hooks? Look at some of the commercial systems for Jeeps or Mercedes converts.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Take a look at the garage ceiling beam pulley systems designed to hold up kayaks and the like, or as Pat suggested look for pulleys used by rock climbers. Climbing pulleys are rated for hundreds of pounds as are the climbing ropes they use. A couple of these pulleys, a few carabiners, a couple of eye bolts in the top and some climbing rope should make for a nice simple DIY lift system.

http://www.rei.com/product/751755
http://www.rei.com/product/662847

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I found an electric truck winch at our hardware store for less then $50. I mounted it on the back wall put 2 eyebolts into the rafters with pulleys on each and use this system to lift the 5th wheel hitch out of my truck. A similar system would work if you lifted the back of the cap and slid a 2 x 4 (with eyebolts set at the ends just wide enough to fit outside the cap) under it then did the same up front and just used a couple old tiedowns to hook onto the winch cable.
My winch is a 5000# and labeled " straight pull only not for lifting" but I figure the 250# hitch is no problem. To power it I just clip onto the lawn tractor battery

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I didn't have a garage when I had a cap. So, I drove four two by fours into the ground just wide of the four corners of the pickup secured another 2x4 on either side. I then would just lift up the back side of the cap and slide a 2x4 between the posts. Then do the same on the front. Then drive away. A tie down strap or two across the top secured it from flying away in the wind.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
excellent fellas, THANKS. why was i making more complicated than necessary in my mind? :bang:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
One buddy of mine has a similar setup to hoist his canoes up to the top of his garage. Simple and secure, just use good quality hardware and rope. The stuff Rich posted might seem excessive but it's going to keep something expensive from crashing in to other expensive things if not just the floor.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
My ex-father-in-law used standard pull tie downs and soft straps. He would attach some rope to each to extend the length for the pull so he could stand at the back of the truck and pull all 4 at the same time.

When lowering it he just did it one side at a time. 1/2 on one side then all the way on the other side and over to the other to bring it back down.

It worked really well and he has been doing it for 10 years with the same truck with no issues.

Ivan

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Unbolt the cap, rev up the engine and dump the clutch!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…