Ooops! Antifreeze In Crankcase! My Booboo.

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
I pulled the top end off today to rebuild. Just got the 94 CR250 a few days ago. First time touching this bike, or any two stroke in a long time for me. I have a repair manual on the way, but don't have it yet. Drained what I thought was most of the antifreeze, but I guess not enough. :bang: When I broke base gasket a bit went into the crank case. I flipped the bike completely over and let it drain and drip for a while to get it all out. Is this going to cause a problem? I am planning to fire up the compressor and dry it out completely. Should I do something more? Should I pour a bit of oil in there on the berarings? Rinse it out with solvent? I get the feeling that when I flash the bike back up it's all going to dry up and any moisture will be blown right out the exhaust pipe. Seeing as the bearings are caged ball bearings I see little if any problem with the A/F getting in there. (Unlike your automobile crank bearings, the babbit gets broken down.)

Your comments on this are appreciated. Now I know better for next time.

Keith

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Blow it out. Drip the same oil you run onto the bearings, roll it over a few times. Blow it out again. Couple drops more oil on each bearing(drops drops) when you put it back together.

Don't sweat it, not the best habit to keep up(letting coolant in), but by no means a devastating one.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
i did the same thing when i rebuilt my RM except i put the whole bike back together before i realized it and it wouldn;t start. I flipped the bike upside down and gave it a few rotations to get the anti freeze out. Refilled my fluids. After i put it back together and dripped some oil in the cyclinder and pushed the kick starter to make the piston go up and down again then the bike fired up. Kept it running for a short time to blow the excess out of the exhaust then broke the top end in and was fine ever since. So in short you should be fine ;)

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
Now here's where it gets interesting. I pulled the cylinder off to find a...."Big Bore Kit". Yahoo! I have a 2.16mm over size piston, I think it equates to 270cc. I knew this 250 was awfully fast when I test rode it. Seemed faster than any other 250 I had ridden before. Now I assume the cylider has been sleeved? Must have been if it's a bigbore kit. So...I no longer have the nikasil lining I suppose. How can I tell? Is nikasil a chrome looking coating? I can still see a cross hatch pattern in my over size cylinder. I assume a nikasil cylinder would not have an apparent cross hatch pattern? Am I correct here? I have not actually seen a nikasil coated cylinder before.
Thanks, Keith

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
keithb7 said:
Now here's where it gets interesting. I pulled the cylinder off to find a...."Big Bore Kit". Yahoo! I have a 2.16mm over size piston, I think it equates to 270cc. I knew this 250 was awfully fast when I test rode it. Seemed faster than any other 250 I had ridden before. Now I assume the cylider has been sleeved? Must have been if it's a bigbore kit. So...I no longer have the nikasil lining I suppose. How can I tell? Is nikasil a chrome looking coating? I can still see a cross hatch pattern in my over size cylinder. I assume a nikasil cylinder would not have an apparent cross hatch pattern? Am I correct here? I have not actually seen a nikasil coated cylinder before.
Thanks, Keith

Nice.
If it is sleeved, a magnet will stick to it. Plated and it won't. You can usually see the sleeve as a difference in color at the cylinder deck and base. Plated bores should have a cross hatch pattern. When that is no longer visible, the bore needs deglazing.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
All good info, also if its sleeved you should be able to see the sleve as it is a steel sleve pressed into the aluminum bore and as mentioned the colors are different. The plating is very thin, you will not be able to really notice it by looking at the cylinder.

BradFrost

Jan 2, 2005
Hehe... I don't feel so bad now about dropping coolant down the guts of the motor when performing an early morning head job :ohmy:
Like all the others I had no probs and didn't even bother to drain the crank.... just put the head back on and kicked her in the guts. I waited till the exhaust stopped throwin out coolant and then went for a short ride :cool:

Top Bottom