Rannoch

Dec 4, 2002
Seriously. If he hadnt bailed, I bet he'd be hurting less than half of what he is now. He probably woulda bounced off teh back, but the first shock would have been absorbed. I would hate to watch that (having crashed) and go, man, if I'd just held on!

Like when I came around the corner, and found the log across the road (going maybe 30mph). I'm wondering what would have happened if I HADNT slammed on the front brake and slid out. I sometimes think I might have made it over the log.

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
To Bail or not to Bail, that is the question.
It was kinda like Bussa's bail off that yielded a broken collar bone, I hafta think he would have made it at least a little better off staying on the bike. I can only imagine what goes through the mind before something like that happens though. ooooOOOHH...sssshheeeTTT!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Rannoch
...Like when I came around the corner, and found the log across the road (going maybe 30mph). I'm wondering what would have happened if I HADNT slammed on the front brake and slid out. I sometimes think I might have made it over the log.
Well, I did come around a corner, found a large log across the road, and attempted to go over it. Actually, I didn't even have time to make the choice to brake/bail/slide out. The bike went over, it bucked me off hard, I flew through the air about 20 feet, and landed superman-style coming down on my out-stretched left arm. Snapped the collarbone. I always wondered what would have happened if I would have had time to brake/bail/slide before hitting the log. ;)

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by Rannoch
....Like when I came around the corner, and found the log across the road (going maybe 30mph). I'm wondering what would have happened if I HADNT slammed on the front brake and slid out. I sometimes think I might have made it over the log.

Trust me, you wouldn't have made it over the log. I was in the same situation years ago. I managed to get the front wheel up and over, but when the back wheel hit the log, I ended up cartwheeling the bike and when I was coming down the lense of my goggles got popped out as I landed on the end of the handle bar. Needless to say I ended up going to the hospital to get mud scraped out from under my eyelid and to make sure I hadn't done any permenant damage.

But that little story rates very low in comparison to what happened to that poor b@$t@rd in the clip. Ouch!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by Smit-Dog

Well, I did come around a corner, found a large log across the road, and attempted to go over it. Actually, I didn't even have time to make the choice to brake/bail/slide out. The bike went over, it bucked me off hard, I flew through the air about 20 feet, and landed superman-style coming down on my out-stretched left arm. Snapped the collarbone. I always wondered what would have happened if I would have had time to brake/bail/slide before hitting the log. ;)

I feel ya man! Two or three Trailfests ago. I was following Mike down Johnsonville rd @ a blistering pace, tiring to catch him. I think just reaching for fourth topped out in third! I see mike hop over this 5" to 6" freak log that was over the road. "CRAP! I leaned back, dropped a gear, and nailed the old KDX throttle. Got the front wheel over. And smacked the rear wheel hard. I was on the front wheel pointing straight down, riding the front wheel. Totally crapping my pants! At a place I have never been, ready to be hamburger. Some how with the grace of a higher authority I road it out, and hear to tell about it. So I ride a little slower down trails now.

Honda Rider

Oct 1, 2001
I personally don't think that stayin on the bike would've done much. At the peak of his jump he was already at vertical, all holdin on would've done would have him hit the ground, and loop the bike back and he would've landed on his stomach. That's my theory anyways. Looks to me like the bail was the best idea. But who knows.

Top Bottom