MDA

May 27, 2002
Hello everyone,

My wife just completed an introductory motorcycle course. She did it at my prompting so that she would better understand the dynamics of a motorcycle when she is a passenger on my street bike. With that being said, by the end of the course, the instructors had to darn near pry her off the TTR125. She loved it. She figures that she would like to share the dirt biking experience with me. I for one am thrilled. So what's the point of this you ask?

Well, I am looking into buying her a used dirt bike. It has to be tame (we are not talking a hardcore kind of person) and yet capable of carrying a full sized adult. She is 5'9", 160 lbs, and a true beginner in the sport.

I have seen a 1994 RT100 for sale in the area. It is a couple of hours drive away from my house to be able to see. I would appreciate anyone's input regarding this bike before I make the treck out there to see it. I have an appointment to see a 1984 DT200 today. I'm a bit apprehensive about the 200. I don't want anything that will be likely to run away from her. I am really not worried about her outgrowing the bike too much. I do want it to be at least as fun as a TTR125.

Once we get a bike, then the fun of safety gear shopping starts.

All opinions and comments are welcomed on the subject.

Thanks,
-Mark-

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Mark:
Those RT's are real sweet little bikes. They are EXCELLENT for learning and for adult "play" bikes. They have lost "ground" in our area because the riding terrain for trail/dirt bikes requires WAY more suspention then the RT offers! If you intend on staying away from whooped out trails, doing good ol fashioned "cow trailing" the Yamaha Enduros are perfect!
I prefer them over the 4 strokers cause they are so easy/cheap to make "new" again!
Word of advice - keep your air filter clean and the seal between the pipe and head good and you will go 5 - 7 thousand mile between ring change!
Carp Diem
Woodsy

MDA

May 27, 2002
Woodsy,

Thanks for the feedback. I am not really worried about the suspension since I don't think she will ride agresively enough to bottom it out. And the trails will mainly be fire roads and easy trails.

My main concern is the ergonomics. My wife is 5'8" and 150 lbs (I think I said 5'9" and 160 lbs in the above post. I've since been corrected... oops). Most 80's are too small, but I was really hoping the RT100 would fit her.

The first RT100 I was considering was already sold, but I have a line on a couple more. I know of a '00 model for $1500.00 Canadian dollars that was for sale recently (that would be about $850.00 US). The bike shop that is selling it opens in a half hour. I hope it is still there. With that price, I don't think I will be so lucky.

Has any one else had any experience with the RT line of bikes?

-Mark-

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
My wife rides a rt 180-she loves it . smooth no hit power, low seat height, easy to start. It's a great gals bike. she also has enough power to ride with the guy's when she wants to.

MDA

May 27, 2002
Cactusreid,

Thanks for the insight. We are looking for a low-cost alternative to a TTR 125 since that is what my wife learned to drive on. However if we find the RT100 to be too small, based on your feedback, we will start hunting for an RT180 and take a serious look at that.

I'd love to just go out and buy her a brand new TTR 125LE, but I can't justify spending that much money before we are sure she will really enjoy the sport.

Thanks again,
-Mark-

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by MDA
I'd love to just go out and buy her a brand new TTR 125LE, but I can't justify spending that much money before we are sure she will really enjoy the sport.

Mark, you may not be able to justify the price right now but from watching a few of our "lady" Heartland Spodes, you will find you have created a monster.;)  The TTR will hold its value and you probably won't ever sell it anyway.  Take the wife down to the dealer and let HER decide.  This will get you many, MANY, kitchen passes.  Trust me, I have a really good feelin' about this one.

MDA

May 27, 2002
BSWIFT,

Thanks for the input. I did take her to the various dealerships and showed her the latest batch of playbikes. She figured that if we could get a similarly sized bike for less money, she would be happy learning on that. We went ahead and bought a 2000 DT100 for $800.00 USD. It is in great shape. I tried it out. Its pretty weak in the low end (first two gears rev out quick for an adult rider). Once you get it going in third and fourth, wow, its a lot of fun. I posted a ride report about our first outing together.

I sincerely hope I've created an offroad monster, but she is pretty timid when it comes to physical sports and does not have a competitive attitude. I'd be happy to upgrade her to a TTR if she feels she has tapped out the DT. Actually I think we will be able to justify getting the TTR next season for the better suspension alone. In any case, we decided together to start slow and cheap, although I did not scrimp on safety gear. She looks like a pro in all her MSR/Fox gear. The minute she says she wants a better bike, the DT is going to get the heave-ho, and we will be talking to the dealers.

Thanks again to everyone that provided input on the subject.

-Mark-

Top Bottom