E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Here's the short-short report. Girl's Riding School:

Two days of log-hopping, wheelieing, off-camber riding and major woods riding and all the gal's came away as honorary stud-ettes.

Major thanks to Ellen and Marshall for hosting the whole sha-bang -- and to Nicole and Karrie for their awesome instruction and tips.

(Shoot... when they weren't looking I was busy taking notes for myself... <g> )

I'm sure there is more to follow. Cheers! - E-Ticket (randyb)

p.s. Susan (aka The Ant) won't stop bugging me about when's our next trail ride. It seems she has some new skills she wants to try out! <grin>

Last edited:

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Great pics! I didn't realize there would be so many people there. Looks like a blast.

Well, let's hear some stories! :)

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
yeah, thanks for posting the pics!!! Let's get more :)
WEll, ok, I'll give you my story of the 'Soaring Bike'.
Sunday morning, we learned how to wheelie over logs (well, some did anyway!). Then we took off on a trail ride. There were two creek crossings and some nice logs to practice on.
We got to the second creek crossing, and I was last one over except for Kerrie, and the guys helping us. It was a weird crossing, with lots of slick rocks, a sharp left turn, then a 2-3 ft shelf with a lip on it. I got lined up, and gave it the throttle. Imagine my surprise, when I found myself still standing there, knees wide, hands on imaginary bars, and my bike soaring up the lip, and launching itself straight at 8 or so of the women I was riding with :ugg:
Thanks to their quick reflexes, they got out of the way, and my bike came down without hurting anyone :o
I was horribly embarrassed however! And I completely sucked the rest of the ride, since I couldn't stop shaking!

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Susan told me about that one on the way home.... she said it was pretty spectacular! <grin> Watching this bike go by with no one on board...

wheeeee! boy, what a fun weekend! can we do it again next year? - ET

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
It Started GREAT, Until...

Well, What can I say, the trip was great and I learned a lot. I had a great time putting screen names to real people's faces. Saturday's trail ride was so much fun! At one point I was concentrating so much on what I had learned earlier in the day that I completely missed the turn off towards the rest of the group. If I had studied this hard in college I probably would have done a lot better. Unfortunatley, my college didn't offer Dirtbiking 101. Anyways, I was able to catch up to the rest of the group (THanks, Kyra :confused: ). Due to some "minor" adjustments that were made on my bike earlier in the day I was trying to get use to them and wasn't really concentrating very well :eek: .

Sunday was JUST GREAT!!!! Thanks, to my one and only, Justin, who decided to try and show the girls how log crossings should be done. We all learned what NOT to do when crossing logs! Just a quick side note...Justin rode 60+ miles with the BOYS on Saturday and did great, no falls, no complaints, just following along some tight technical trails and drooling about it when he returned. Now back to log crossings on Sunday. Justin saw us all attempting it at our finest and decided we were having TOO much fun. I saw him gearing up and getting on his bike and rode over to him to see what he was up to. He said, " I want to try that big one, it looks like fun!" I looked at him and said, "OK, but don't embarress me." So what does he do?? You guessed it, he went :moon: over tea kettle and landed on his right shoulder. He thought he was OK but Nicole (girlrider) saw the whole thing take place before her eyes and instinctively went straight for the clavicle. Sure enough, it was broken. Justin thinks he got off lucky. I am just glad it happened where it did and not 40 miles in the woods with no way to get out. I guess when we play hard eventually our luck runs out. I guess my turn will come up sooner or later. I am bummed because I lost my riding partner for at least 3-4 (Ok, who am I fooling, probably 6) weeks. Any of you Norcal girls want to go riding? Oh, yah, I am also bummed about missing the group photo! Well, at least he is OK and will be completely healed in no time flat.

Thanks Ellen for everything! I can't thank you enough for all the help that we were given after the little log incident. I still have your ace wrap...do you want it back? Justin left our camera on one of the chairs by the medium log. Can you give it to Jon C. to give to Justin?

Nicole, I think I have your camera. I also need to get in touch with you about the jersey (I ordered the large). Let me know when/where you want me to mail you the camera. I didn't know whose camera it was and since we left ours behind I took a couple pictures of Mt. Shasta...nothing else, though I promise ;)

Glad to meet everyone and I can't wait to do it again. Next time I'll make sure Justin brings his Trials bike if he wants to try that log again :think:

Until Next Time,

Karna

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Fun, fun, fun, fun and more fun!!!

What a GREAT experience!
Big thanks to our great instructors, Nicole and Kerrie, our wonderful hosts, Ellen and Marshal, and all the helpers and the participants who made this school such a successful event!

So much to say about the ride school.
The greatest thing for me is that I've learned several techniques to practice in the next one year.
Nicole and Kerrie showed us what is important for riding are techniques, balance and control over the bike, not power.

And yes, I did wheelies! I don't know how high the front wheel came up, but I was so happy to have done something that I never thought I was able to do. ;)

Yamaholly, I was one of the spectators for the incident. That was incredible!
But don't get embarassed. This is the third time for me that I've seen a bike flying without a rider on. The first one was done by Belle in March. Her bike went up in the air much higher than yours. The second one was done by me three weeks ago, when I looped my bike in the sky. Let's see.....you definitely got the 1st prize for flying the bike for long distance. I heard other bikes got launched too. :confused:

Thank you all for your friendship. I hope to ride with you again soon.

Mini
;)

Last edited:

Pegasus

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
Imagine 18 women with dirt bikes standing in a meadow in the woods, sunshine and not a cloud in the sky....YUP we had fun !!

For those who have not had the pleasure to meet Nicole and Kerri .. they are remarkable graceful women with amazing ability,focus and balance.Ive observed many teachers and they as a team were tops. Somehow they managed to watch and help everyone ...and field a constant barage of questions. I know I learned much invaluable information.
Sat night they wanted to come to campfire but both were to hoarse from talking so much.. and thrilled at the sametime that everyone was so thrilled to have them there.Though hoarse they talked about it all the way home !
Kerri & Nicole.. Big thanks !!

Marshal & I thank you all for coming..and you guys who helped on trail ! We were more than delighted at how helpful and happy EVERYONE was.. 18 riders plus the guys and helpers..Must have been about 45 riders all together WOW !

Karna If your camera was a little silver one I have it and will give it to Jon.. You guys come back when Justin is up to it.. we have some unfinished trail to ride !

BTW ladies I already went shopping for that bedspread.. got one picked out... When its old and threaded Ill know why I have it ....Better than any trophy !

Hey Yamaholley. We call my bike Pegasus (The Flying Pony)because Ive made some pretty good launches my self ...Thats a tough trail... you are not the first to use the lip as a launch pad ;-)

Motololo

Apr 9, 2002
Sounds like everyone had a great time! Sorry about Justin's shoulder, if he's like Ray he'll probably be out riding with his cast on!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
What a GREAT weekend!!! I had so much fun and meeting everyone was the best part!! Ellen and Marshall - great place, great hospitality - you are awesome!! My hope is to one day return with enough skill to actually experience "Big Diaper" Trail!! Oregon is SO BEAUTIFUL! I was in heaven, could hardly keep my eyes off all the beautiful terrain, what a view from up top the mountain!!

Yamaholley and Girlracer76 - Thanks for taking me up (and down) that hill Friday evening, it was by far the hardest thing I've ever done. Empowerment is a wonderful thing. And Girlracer76, thanks also for letting me ride my first ever 2-stroke. What a difference from the controlled power of my XR!!

GETMETOCA + 2-Stroke = Danger! Wild Child! :)

E-Ticket, you are such a big supporter to us all!! Thanks for taking care of all my mechanical adjustments and for the good advice throughout the weekend!! You rock!!

Nicole and Kerri - what can I say?? You are both so awesome and patient and supportive! I hope one day to see you race and I am so happy to have met both of you! You've left a very positive impression upon me! Great role models!!

Firelilly, thanks for the daily hugs - I needed those!! Tammy and Cindy great to meet such awesome skillful riders!! Hot4Teacher - so proud of you for doing the wheelie over the Big Log!!! You are fearless, woman!!!

Can't wait to get out on my bike again and put all this new knowledge to good use!!!! I hope to see everyone again in the near future!!

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Ladies my hat's off to every one of you. You exceeded my expectations beyond belief. I was teaching with my own personal hero Kerrie and now surrounded by 18 of my newest hero's. I have never been around so many people with intense focus, determination and positive attitudes. I never heard one person complain, not even when they crashed. You picked your bike up, straighted your levers and tried it again. That is impressive!!! I am working on a long version story but here are my thoughts in a nut shell.

Absolutely PERFECT place to have a school. Lodging, water, grass field with logs, hills, tight trails, open trails. . .etc. 18 women that came with 2 agenda's. 1.) To have FUN! (Accomplished. The toe nail painting and facials was not on our list but Kerrie and I will have to add that for the next school. ;) ) 2.) To actually learn. (Accomplished). Kerrie and I were so impressed with everyones desire to learn.

I won't forget walking back to the top of a steep hill with all the girls that made it to the top to cheer on Belle as she reved her little KX80 engine, let the clutch out and went for it. I am not sure I would have made it up on that bike. I hate to mention age but I think our average age would have been 35. None of us were really spring chickens but Old Maids looking for some serious fun. "Silly boys, motorcycles are for girls."

Then there is Julie who thought her brakes were not working when in reality her throttle was stuck. And of all the bikes she used the Gas Gas 300 that looked like it was right off the showroom floor to slow her down. I guess that is what I get for tipping her bike over the day before and breaking her clutch lever. (Just because you finish and ISDE does not mean you don't crash :confused: )

Kerrie demonstrating the wrong way to go up a hill by throwing one arm out and one leg off. What a nut.

Mini sneaking behind us at the BIG log and going over it at and angle and making it. The girl has some serious guts. After she did it Kerrie and I looked at each other and said we would have never tried it at an angle. At the same log Kerrie was debating whether or not Ellen's BBR with little tires would make it over when she rode behind us and made it look like it wasn't even there. Then there was Yamaholley who did it and shot past the lading and ended up inches from making friends with 2 BIG trees.

Natalie showing that even though she has only ridden for a few months she could have the best form while doing the turns in the field.

Liddy or as I learned later "Tripple Jump" riding the trails on her TTR looking for anything she could use as a jump from rocks to logs. The girls was a bird in previous life and still has that desire to always be flying.

Tami going full blast up a really steep hill getting a little out of control and having a branch grab her camel back and rip her right off the bike. Then I rode her bike to the top and rode her up the hill too. Now she want's us to enter the "2-Up" class together at the ISDE.

Cindi ripping it up on the trails but still working on all the basics realizing that those are still the fundamental building blocks of making a better rider.

The men who graciously stood around both days to fix any bikes that we felt needed to be worked on and for taking video and pictures. And for taking us around on the trails and not saying anything. From the feed back I think they really want Kerrie and I to come back to teach them. A few joined my group on Sunday during the trail ride and they definitely were taking notes when I was giving advice.

I would say something about everyone but then it would be the long version too. I will forever remember this weekend. The personalities of EVERYONE was the perfect combination. Everyone was so generous and complimnetary of Kerrie and I. We had never taught a school before and since we live 3 hours apart we did not have time to practice. From your kind words we realize we did a good job.

Thanks to everyone for coming and making it something we would like to do again. Keep riding and keep having FUN! Until we meet again on the trails take care.

Nicole

PS. A BIG thanks to Randy (E-Ticket) and Jeff Dunham and Les at LT-Racing for providing Kerrie and I with bikes.

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Just a BIG repeat of everything everyone else has said, what a great weekend!
One of my favorite points looking back was stopping my bike in the field and watching everyone else scattered about going around in these tight little slow circles, standing, knees akimbo, elbows up, handlebars practically locked, another bunch doing big perimeter circles hopping over the logs at each end.... it was a Motocycle Meadow Ballet. Jus' beautiful to behold!
And thanks to Mick and Buddy for pulling me out of the bushes several times on our graduation ride... I wasn't really aiming at you, Buddy, when all you could see was my front wheel....but then that WAS my biggest wheelie!
-Susan
BBR200

sparky yzf

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2001
Still more repeats.... This weekend was wonderful!!!! I learned so much. I am ready to work on tight turns in my back yard. I am also searching for logs to wheelie over. I am sooooo sorry about the Gas Gas. Karna, you can ride with us, just let us know. It was so neat to meet every one. Kyra... you need to come down and push me some more. You are also a good teacher. Nicole and Kerrie, I can not say thank you enough for having the patience to show us all of those great tricks. Ellen, thank you for opening up your home and advice. It would be really great to do this again next year and see how we have advanced. My husband, Shannon was so excited by my stories that he wants to do a school too. His dad has decided that I will be able to snuff him soon. Thank you!!
Julie (crash)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
:( :( Whaaa!! I wanna go too!! :( :(

Kerrie, Nicole, can we convince you to do a National tour?? :confused:

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
I feel your pain Lori! :( Man, If the move had just been a couple months later I could have gone. Ellen's place sounded like an ideal place to have it.

Hot4Teacher

Apr 21, 2002
I just can't stop talking about this past weekend. My husband is starting to get tired of all of my stories. I learned so much (how to make tight corners, the whole balance thing, and my favorit part, wheelies!!) On Sunday, I was very pleased with myself for conquering the BIG log. It took me three tries to get it right, but like they say, "third time is a charm."

Everyone there was also great! It was really nice to see so many women riding, and doing a great job at it.

A big thanks to Ellen for putting it all together. I hope you will consider having another one.

To everyone, thanks for the great weekend! ;)

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Dang!! I need to move to Oregon NOW. Glad you gals had such a great time. Any word as to when the next one might be? Let me know and I'll be there with my new baby boy.

FqntSoloFlyr

May 15, 2002
Ok ladies! Due to Nicole's suggestion, I have retired 'Yamaholley' since I don't have a yammy anymore, and in honor of my 'soaring bike' incident, I am heretofore known as Frequent_Solo_Flyer! Of course, I had to shorten it a bit to make it fit, but you get the picture ;)
I am working this afternoon and tomorrow, to get a 'practice course' set up in my back yard, similiar (but not as nice!) as the one Ellen had for us.
I have 2x4 stakes to go in circles around, a nice side hill to practice on, and I am cutting down one of our apple trees for the log! (it's already dead LOL)
I have committed to practicing at least 2-3 times a week, even if it's just for a few minutes. I figure if I don't, then I'll forget!
Did anyone video most of the class? If so, I'd be more than willing to pay for a copy to be made, shipping etc.
It would be nice to be able to see the 'correct' way anytime I needed to!
Holley

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Yamaholley / FqntSoloFlyr: I like your new name!!! Just wish I could have seen your now famous launch!!! I was in "Group C" exploring the exceptionally technical fire roads! LOL! Somehow Marshall and Kent made it seem like we were doing some really knarly stuff anyhow!! It was a GREAT ride, but no Solo Launches in our group!

Plus we got to see the two guys from deliverance up by the caves, complete with beer breath, holstered pistolas, two dogs with spike collars, and the possibility of a Cinnamon Bear sighting. They told us they were outlaws. Thankfully, they were totally smitten with Kali's GasGas, so that kept them occupied til we got a look at the caves and headed back down the trail.

I've been eyeing up my backyard for a possible practice course too! I wish I lived on a farm or something, I just got my lawn looking like I want it too....

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Hey FSF... I'm willing to bet that a lot of dirt bikes are going to be fired up in back yards all over the place... followed by, "Honey.... turned that dang thing off!" <grin>

Instead of the 2x4 stakes, I highly recommed the ultra-soft orange cones. The soft version is good for when you fall on them... plus you can move them around at will. As in, hop over the apple tree log - followed by a *very* tight left-hander around the cone. Kind of make your own mini-trials course.

And as we know.... that would make Kerrie a very happy girl. <grin>

Cheers! - RandyB

Top Bottom