BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I've been tossing an idea around in my head. Suppose we organize local chapters of DRN, riders groups that is. Justql, MX547, Lorin, Craig_enid, Sawblade, OKKX'r, and TX246 have the loose afflilitation called the Heartland Spodes. Justql has spearheaded several rides and it has been a blast.
My thought is, use this "affiliation" to do some good things for our communities. I am going to look into the possibility next Christmas to do a Toy Drive for the Marines Toy for Tots program. I will attemp to get a parade permit to get Dirtbikers into Downtown Tulsa during the lunch hour to collect toy's and donations. I think it would be a great event having all the guys decked out in full gear sporting Teddy bears and such and showing the public that we are made up of people just like them, doctors, lawyers, accoutants, and so on.
If groups are formed. Organized rides could be made into regional Spodefests culminating with Dirtweek. Fund raisers for charity could be held and combined to be donated to a deserving group, BRC comes to mind.
I know this may be a strange idea but you don't know if you don't ask.:think

B

biglou

I like it.

We have our KCRiders group up here. Just regular guys who ride and occasionally stink up the beginner class in some race or scramble. Then there is this one splinter group, "Team: No-Talent Ass Clown", as we affectionately refer to ourselves. Probably not the best moniker to use in the public eye!
What would be cool is if each chapter had their own kingpins and vice pres, etc. Maybe shirts showing our affiliation, chapter name. Kinda like the Hell's Angels, 'cept much nicer!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
It's something we should talk more about...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Please forward all franchise fees to me and I will be sure they get logged :p The following should help in determining your chapters fee schedule.

-If your from Oklahoma please send $500/year or accept 3 tornados from Texas.
-If BigLou is a member of your group please send the above mentioned $500 plus the BigLou acceptance fee of $5,000.
-If any member of your group has less than 10 toes you will be required to have a member with 11 toes to compensate or may alternatly pay a toe fee of $50.

;)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Okiewan
It's something we should talk more about...
I agree. I know I used the word "organized" but I don't think that was the best choice of words. The legal implications could be to much of a hassle, especially in regards to fund raising, but it can be done (at least here in Oklahoma). There are quite a few members located in close proximity to each other and are already getting riding weekends put together. With some creativity and a little more planning, these groups could put together some trail rides with even more members but it takes a lot of work.
Big Lou's KC riders group did a ride at White Rock Dec 1 & 2. From everyones comments they had a blast. The trail ride location, however, probably stopped some people from attending due to the severity of the trails. Which brings up a point. To organize a larger event, a place must be picked that allows MOST skill levels a good place to ride.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I have had similiar thoiughts bsiwft, not as much details as yours. I just thought maybe each identified group could have a link to their home page, where bio info could be. Just wait till you see the Heartland Spodes web page bswift....It's under construction now. Pictures, video, schedule of rides, race results etc. Maybe it'lll all come together.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Patman
-If BigLou is a member of your group please send the above mentioned $500 plus the BigLou acceptance fee of $5,000.

;)

I think you would have to Pay the local chapter the fee to keep BigLou out of YOUR local chapter.

B

biglou

Re: Let's talk more about it.

I have the desire, we have the people, and I have the helmetcam footage! My problem is that I don't have the means or the knowledge of how to do it.

Here are a few issues I can think of:

1) Some folks, and it's just inevitable, think of DRN as the "Evil Empire" so they probably won't go for it. No biggie, I know who's who around here. I would be very selective in who I asked.

2) Just wondering what the qualifications would be? Any fees involved or would we keep it as simple (or complex) as each individual chapter wants to?

3) Identification-I would love to see T-shirts or something that would identify our affiliation.

4) Spread too thin-We already have the Goodguys/KCRiders website (not the greatest, but they're working on it). They are working on setting up a BB and Thunder 33 and myself have thought of our own local message board, under teh moniker "Team: No-Talent Ass Clown" (seriously!), mainly for announcing ride dates (which is pretty much every weekend anyway).

5) How would the chapter's names read? 'DirtRider.net's KCRiders Chapter' or some such sounds good to me.

6) I know that web space is available, but I wonder how hard it would be to keep everyone interested in paying for the server space, maintenance, etc.

7) I nominate myself for Chapter President, thus relieving myself of the "BigLou" clause. Furthermore, my first duty would be to vote in a "Superhero Clause" so that anyone found to be a pantless crimefighter in their off-hours be subject to a premium of $500.:D

My main concern with this is the continued interest, or lack thereof. I'm sure that everyone would want to jump in at first, but we already have this site, so I feel like interest may start to lag after a while. Maybe we could just go with T-shirts and try to get involved with some charity events or start our own charity events and go with that for a while to see how it works out.
Also, not to be presumptuous here, but perhaps each chapter could have a page or two with links here on DRN under a 'Chapter Affiliations' forum or something. We could have pictures of each of us (with and without helmet) riding and non-riding, so that the rest of the DRN members could see who we are and what we look like. Maybe even some of the rides/events that we are/were involved in such as the White Rock ride and our MX races.

Lastly-Just look at the upcoming Reno ride. Looks like there is going to be 40+ riders there from everywhere West of the Mississippi River. Lots of 'chapters' represented there.

Sorry for rambling, just thinking out loud. Everyone jump in and let us know what you think of all this. Personally, I'm stoked!

Respectfully submitted,
Louis "BigLou" ****
Chapter President,
KCRiders/Team NTAC

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Re: Re: Let's talk more about it.

Originally posted by BigLou
Also, not to be presumptuous here, but perhaps each chapter could have a page or two with links here on DRN under a 'Chapter Affiliations' forum or something. We could have pictures of each of us (with and without helmet) riding and non-riding, so that the rest of the DRN members could see who we are and what we look like. Maybe even some of the rides/events that we are/were involved in such as the White Rock ride and our MX races.

KCRiders/Team NTAC
[/QUOTE
]

Thats what I had thought. I already have started the HSPD page. We are all suppose to get web pages for being supporrting members. I have my own webpage and would gladly give up the DRN page if we could get a link.

Last edited:

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
This sounds like a really cool idea.

There are quite a few riders in the DFW (Dallas / Ft. Worth) area from DRN who frequently ride together. There is also a growing number of members who are racing in local motocross & harescramble type events & I am always glad to put the DRN swing arm stickers on a starting line somewhere. Additionally, we are close enough to Oklahoma that BSWIFT could ride down & pay homage to the DFW chapter occasionally!

Patman has to stay in Austin, we already have the original Patman in Dallas, verified by age, Dallas Patman raced with a Joffa mask on a CZ!:) or change his moniker to Patman Jr.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
This is what I had in mind.

Last edited:
B

biglou

Look what you started, Swift!

OK-More thinking out loud here: *Start the Star Wars Imperial Death March music here* If server space is provided for us by the Evil Emporer, er, I mean Okie, would it be benificial for some of us to have access to help with setting up/maintaining the pages? Not me, of course. Unless you want the technological world as we know it to go spinning off its axis and hurtling into space! I'm guessing that Okie's plate is full, and that any help would be a benefit. Choosing the right person/people to have access to the Master Control Panel would be imparative.

BTW-Patman could just change his name and become another superhero, kind of like one of the Robins did (yes, I'm a comic-book geek. Big surprise, huh?). How about, The Pantless Green Lantern? Or, The Pantless Boy Wonder, or Captain Pantless America, or The Pantless Punisher. Hey, I see a theme here...:think :p

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Some good ideas... :)

1) DRN can host club webpages , no big deal. ie;

http://yourclub.dirtrider.net

2) DRN can have individual club forums set up, with a little tweaking. Each club can control their specific board, link directly to it from their club website. There would be a "DRN Clubs" (or whatever) forum with all of the clubs having individual boards. You'd have the benefit of DRN's server and forum software, you can even have your own forum "look", decide rather you want only club members to get in, etc.

There would of course be costs involved, bandwidth, disk space, etc., probably no more than ssay $10 a month? It's not a lot, but if there were 10 clubs... it ads up. I'll have to look into that and see if I can cover it.

Each club will have permission to modify the logo to integrate their "chapter" name, of course Mr. Thump will probably want to be involved with that.

This could be VERY cool :cool:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I would think that the individual clubs could cover the costs on web space. I don't won't to put more burden on the mods or admins, they have their hands full anyway considering their salaries;) . I guess with all these different ideas being thrown around, I'll compile them and try to put some sort of logical presentation. Then we can have a "vote" poll and see what everyone thinks.
:think
Team DRN could become a driving force in the offroad community. With the racing abilities of some of the members, we could see some recognition around the county/world. Okay, maybe I'm being too optomistic. But hey, this is supposed to be fun.
Keep the ideas coming.

B

biglou

Very cool.

Hey, I'd pay the ten bucks a month myself. Then I could help design and have the chapter T-shirts made (I've been involved with that sort of thing before). I think we have around 10-20 good candidates here in the KC area for chapter membership. Probably more.

Team DRN-It's a wonder someone didn't knock me down and strip the fender stickers off my bike after seeing me ride at DW!

Brian-I'd love to see what sort of presentation you can put together with all of this. I will be putting feelers out among some of the locals here. Won't get thing really rolling until Thursday when I get back to work.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I just want an "official" DRN Team No Talent Ass Clown t-shirt :)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Team DRN-It's a wonder someone didn't knock me down and strip the fender stickers off my bike after seeing me ride at DW!

LOL. I would have been in the same boat, if it weren't for the Heartland Spodes. I'll see what I can put together for those interested, just a rough draft. Everyone can add/delete/change as necessary to get a consensous.
(if that is possible).

B

biglou

Rich-You got it! I've got the shirt designed but it's onthe hard drive at work, dangit!

One other thought here-Advertising. I envision having local sponsors advertise on the chapter's web page(s). That may be a way of paying for the server space. Man, this is getting very interesting!

The plan of world domination takes one giant step forward. Bwahaha...:p

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
i'm in,only problem, er, problems are.1 i don't think there are any drn members with in 50 miles of me. b. i'm not the greatest catch,as far as level of rider. but,and here's the clincher, i will have a 4 acre moto x track on my land by spring, so maybe i'll be like the kid you gotta let play along 'cause he's got the football. but on the plus side, i can drink alot of beer,and i run around alot with out my pants on.:D oh yeh, i think i could bring drn national attention,ya see,ride with me,bring a camera ,and we will get in the crash and burn section of a "national level" magazine.it's all good.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Okay Lou, this is not intended to rival DRN, just augment it. Advertising in my opinion would still be in OKIE's domain at least as far as the web site goes. Now if you got a sponsor or two for a Mini Spodefest, I would think that would be OK.
SFC Crash, distance shouldn't be a problem. Besides, the skill levels of DRN members is very diverse, so whatever your skills you will likely fit in.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Furthermore, my first duty would be to vote in a "Superhero Clause" so that anyone found to be a pantless crimefighter in their off-hours be subject to a premium of $500.

It would be the best $500 you ever spent :)

taraker you might be suprise how similar Patman North is to myself. Besides having a couple of years on me we voth started on Honda singles of 70cc, switched to Suzukis at the same time, both lived in Tn. at the same time and now both live in Tx but have never met!:eek: Pretty strange. It also seems that I to was a Jofa wearin' dirt wheeler (hey it worked with my Easy Rider helet and jungle boots!) I may have the edge on the "Patman" tag though since it's been applied to me for almost as long as Patman North has been riding :)

B

biglou

Re: Advertising.

That was my intention, to recruit local businesses to advertise on our respective pages and have the money go to Okie for providing the web space. I have no idea how much that advertising costs, but if server space is $10/month (using round numbers here) and we could get a few locals to advertise for $120 per year, that would be money ahead. Again, just thinking out loud. Feel free to make any corrections.

BTW-Merry Christmas you guys (that's girls too). It's been a great year being involved with DRN. Glad I came out of my shell and got to meet so many of you this year. Cheers.:)

Edit note: The part about it being a "great year" was in reference to DRN. I did not mean to make it sound like I was insensitive to our current national situation. Sorry.:o

Last edited by a moderator:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Don't sweat it Lou, we all know what ya' ment ya' big insensitive lug ya'. ;)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I think this idea has great potential.

BigLou, It HAS been a great year. Even though we have suffered through one of the worst tragedies in history, we as a people in the USA and around the world have become closer and more patriotic than ever before. Sad that an adverse event had to bring about a change, but something had to start the cultural renassiance.

High Fives to all the good folk in the world. God Bless America and DRN.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I'd like to give it a try.

We've been organizing some rides here all summer in Michigan so I think it would be a natural progression to establish a Michigan Chapter. We've had 2 trailfests so far this past summer and we have been thinking of getting a few more going. Our first ride will be in Leota as soon as it's good to ride.

Top Bottom