Over the Bars

Yfox05

Mar 4, 2005
How do you stop from going over the bars. This has happened to me twice already, and it really sucks. I was just riding on some flat level ground, going fast enough to not see the rut in front of me. By the time i saw the rut it was too late to stop and i just leaned back and kept the throttle steady. As soon as I hit the rut I just flew over the bars, what did i do wrong?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
You should have been riding with your ass over the fender, keeping the front end light so that you could pull up on the bars when you saw the rut.

Or... don't go so fast that it'll flip you over the bars on unfamiliar terrain.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
What condition is your suspension in?

If you forks are too soft then the bike will have a tendency to send you over.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
is you bikes back end coming over with you or is it just you getting flung over the front?

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
What caused you to fly over the bars?? Did the front jam into it causing the bike to slow rapidly and send you over?? Did the back end kick up and hit you in the arse sending you over??

Things like having a good suspension, gripping the bike firmly w/ your legs, and getting your body weight WAY back may or may not have helped you.

Yfox05

Mar 4, 2005
there was only one bump, no rythym, it was single rut perpendicular to my bike, I didnt see it until too late and the bike basically did a front flip, like it through me off and then flipped over me. I am not sure of the suspension setup on my bike, not sure if its stock or not but it might be a little soft. But basically i didnt see the rut until too late, and the next thing i know im sliding/ rolling on the ground with my bike doing the same.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
You should have pulled a wheelie so your front wheel did not plow into the side of the rut. If you did wheelie and you got kicked over the bars, you need to add more rebound damping to the shock.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Ideal position is not having your butt on the seat, elbows up, butt over the back of the seat, knees bent and squeezing the bike. See a rut, gas it and pull the front tire up enough to clear the rut. Keeping a steady throttle. I would make a jump over it.

Yfox05

Mar 4, 2005
thanks for all of your input, im definitely going to try some of the tips if this ever happens again, and hopefully I will be more prepared for the sudden rut.

d_alexand

May 14, 2007
look up

I didn't see anyone mention this but don't look at the ground 5 feet ahead of the front wheel. I did the exact same thing a while back and bent my front rim :bang: . Looking ahead gives you more time to react and can keep you from hitting stuff. And as others mentioned check your suspension settings too.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004

Probably good advice in general. Always look ahead at whats coming. It will not only let you see what is ahead and have time to react, but it also will generally make you ride faster. Many newer riders have a bad habit of only looking at the ground 5-10 ft in front of them...

Flux3D

Aug 8, 2007

Yeah I started looking further ahead and I got a lot faster and my riding was way smoother.

MSB22

Feb 19, 2008
i dunno ..if this is a good idea....but..when i hit a long straight away i almost sit down on the back of the seat just a hair barely ne pressure on the bike but a little on the ass end...and it has seemed to make me pull so hard on other riders who stand up and just put there elbows out on the straight aways

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…