Overcoming a psychological problem?

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
No, not the fact I'm psycho, this I deal with not a problem.
However, I have a serious problem which I don't know what to do about.

I get hand cramps really bad, like arm pump where I can't hold on as it hurts too bad. It's always on the first ride of the day, and the reason I think it's psychological is, it's at the bike park where I learnt to ride. I notice it slightly if I'm riding somewhere else, but it never really develops into anything major. It's a sand based forest and gets pretty dry in summer (awesome fun in winter though) so I thought maybe that was the problem - gripping too tight there. However, if I'm riding elsewhere in the sand, it doesn't develop like that (we're only allowed access to certain parts of the forest on organised rides).

Last weekend the sand was pretty dry and rutty and I felt my hands at one stage and thought, heck, I can't stop for this, I've got to go on (fun harescramble) and it did go away (different part of the forest, not the park), but even if I do this at the park, it makes no difference, in the end it forces me to stop for ages or else I'm likely to hit something (been there, done that, no fun, ruins the day's riding).

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to stop it? I won't be at the park for at least a month, probably longer, but really would like to overcome the problem somehow.
Thanks in advance
Michelle

KXsteve

Apr 10, 2001
I would also be interested to hear peoples opinions on this, as i get really sore hands too, around the thumb area. I just figured it was me getting used to my bike, as it is a handfull :silly: Maybe someone else can comment??

Steve

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Michelle and Steve.

Usually hand cramps develop from holding on too tight. Especially on the first ride of the day, you may not be as relaxed as you would be on the second or third ride.

A motorcycle is nothing but a big gyro. If you jump off of it at speed, the motorcycle will most likely continue on without you until it runs out of forward momentum and falls over. If you can let yourself relax and allow the motorcycle to do most of the work. it will be much easier on your body.

A lot of it is psychological, when you see those ruts coming, you are probably gripping tighter in anticipation, long before you actually get to them. Try to relax your grip until you actually get into the rough areas.

When you feel your hands starting to cramp, try to relax your grip a little. Also, you can squeeze a tennis ball or one of those spring type hand exercisers during the week to help build the muscles in your hands and forearms.

Just my $ .02, not even worth that here in Kalifornia.

Last edited:

XphilX

Jul 28, 2000
I not really sure if this is related, but when I wake up in the morning, my hands hurt. They are pretty stiff and it hurts even more to make a fist. I couldn't possibly hold on to my handlebars until about an hour after I wake up. I'm thinking that this is related to riding somehow.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
-Phil

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
If the pain you are describing is located from the lower part of you'r knuckles, going down a little ways past you'r wrist. It's a good possibility it is the start of carpal tunel.:scream:

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I think it might not be all psychological. I would try changing the position of the handlebar first (rotate back/forward) and changing suspension settings to find out if you feel better.

About the weak hands in the morning: Yeah, you might be developing carpal tunnel syndrome. I would be looking into that real closely.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
It would all depend on the things you do, like if you do alot of heavy wrenching, stuff like that. Most of the time it is due to repetitive motions. At you'r age it would be highly unlikely, but (I'm no doctor so take this as far as you want to) if your hands are really bothering you that bad, go to a real doctor and get checked out. It might catch something before it gets worse (if it is anything at all). For me, and most everyone I know, you either suffer with it or get surgery and still suffer with it.:eek: :( :confused:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Thanks for the replies, I'll check my bar setup & see if that helps. I also got proven wrong yesterday and suffered really bad, in fact, I had to lift my throttle hand off with my clutch hand. After getting back to the cars, I found my friend was ready to go, so we just went & I hoped for the best. It went away not long after and was fine for the rest of the ride, but maybe that's because we were having so much fun laughing at each other struggling and getting lost.

It could well be bar position come to think of it. I was standing more once I'd warmed up, so am possibly too cramped when sitting - doh!
Cheers for the help, and those that may be suffering carpal tunnel, I hope you're not. (I think there was a thread about it a while ago, so maybe that will help too - will see if I can find it).
Michelle

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Gidday Michelle, I was told this trick a long time ago. Try warming up in stages - I start my bike and ride around for a couple of minutes and then come back to the truck and check my tires then go out for a couple of minutes more and then come back and fill my gas. Just short rides of no hard exertion. I find this helps on arm pump and muscle soreness the next day. The start/stop cycles seem to help the muscles warm up better.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Michelle.

One more thing. Try standing more and holding on to the bike with your knees and lower leg. Kinda like riding a horse. This frees up your upper body a little and lets you relax more on your grip.

Bar position and bend is a good area to look at. When I got my WR400, I rode it with the stock bars and got arm pump. When I changed the bars to the CR bend that I was used to, the arm pump went away.

Last edited:

MXbabe

Oct 9, 2000
Sometimes I'll get bad hand cramps in the beginning of my riding too. I try to ride around to get warmed up before I go and ride hard. Also, I try to make a mental note that I may be hanging on too tight and to squeeze harder with my legs/knees. This helps too. If you find your hands cramping make a mental note and see if are hanging on too tight. Maybe, when you find yourself going to your "riding area" try to focus on things ahead and not think too much of the area that intimidates you (which makes you hang on for dear life!!)

This usually helps for me. If you take it easy and keep on riding it usually goes away (mine does). Good luck!!

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
Michelle,

All very good advice in this thread.

The thing I'd like to add concerns the bike park. It is generally much more "washy" than the other parts of the forest due to higher traffic. This means that you cannot just go out and ride slowly first off to ease yourself into the ride, because riding slower in the washy sand is even more difficult than attacking it.

I get exactly the same problem as you do when riding at the park. I try to go easy and avoid entering into battles with my riding buddies for the first few kays if possible, which really helps.

You may wish to ride the firmer tracks close to the car park first, like the first part of the dead forest loop or the small loop in the "family area", before venturing out into the park proper.

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
Worth a try??

Michelle

Try a ride WITHOUT your gloves on!
Some gloves seem to restrict blood flow to the hands in certain positions, especially around the wrist area. Check to see if your gloves are too tight around the wrist?
Don't go for a wild ride without the gloves. Just enough to see if your hands feel different.
Nothing to lose but your pain....

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I used to get bad hand cramps too. Lately, they've been getting better. Here are some of the things I have done:
--New bike! This isn't a feasible solution but the gist is, the new bike came with new, high-quality grips. Try a softer compound grip. Also, the bars are adjustable, and we moved them to a better position that puts less stess on my arms and shoulders.
--New gloves. I had Fox Pawtectors, which were a really good glove as far as fit and durability, but they were getting worn out and a little stretched. My new MSR Rage gloves have more padding in the palm and a snugger fit.
--Standing more. KTMs have rock-hard seats, which encourages me to get off my tush.
--Overgripping the throttle. If you're not paying attention this is bad as it will go WFO if you panic rev but the position is much easier on wrists and hands.
--Chew gum. For some reason, this helps me to relax and breathe more and cuts down on death grip.
--Weight forward. If you look down, you should be able to see where your numberplate and front fender meet--though you should be looking further ahead. (I have the front-fender stare down to an art) This also puts less stress on arm position and helps cut back on death grip.

Hope this helps!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I haven't had a chance to look at the bike yet this week, but will be doing so on Saturday. I'll also check out some new gloves, as to be honest, I'm not totally happy with the ones I've got. As for softer compound, I use medium gels, but I know Henk prefers the softs, so may be worth a try as he swears by them.

Grant, I usually go out to the convict track to warm up, the short way as it's pretty open and not too chewed up for the bit over the road. But I won't be there until at least mid June if not later. Up at South Head on Sunday, I suffered the worst cramps I've ever had, but it was on a trail used before, with interesting results for me ;) (where were you by the way, a real slack turnout, but made for great riding as you didn't see many people on the trails at all).

Hmm, lots of ideas, lots of things to try out, I'll let you all know how it goes after Sunday. Thanks everyone :)
Michelle

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Michelle,

Sit on your bike while on the stand for a few minutes. Relax, have someone look at your shoulders. They should be flat across your back. If they are being pulled forward the strain will show up as tension in your forearms and hands. You should be able to draw a straight line with your arms from you shoulder to your wrists. Your elbows should have a slight bend outwards. With your hands open while resting on the bars, your controls should be right there within easy reach. This would be a start point. You can then move your controls up/down as your preference. If the above procedure is in error I'm sure someone will correct it.

As others have stated you may need to change your bars, or move up or back on the saddle. FC22 idea of chewing gum does work, especially during on a race day.

Another thing to try. If you ride a mountain bike do you have a tight grip on those handlebars? Do you suffer the same problem with the bike? If you have a road bicycle, use the same test.

I used to have a similar problem when I rode back in the old days. Upon my return to dirt biking, I have no problem with sore hands, or arm pump. For the past 18 years I have been cycling competively. I realized I had a death grip on the handlebars of my bikes, which would wear me out. I learned to ride with a very soft hold on the bars.

One more idea to check out. When riding look about 3-4 meters ahead. Looking at the ground right in front of your wheel will automatcally pull your shoulders in and cause a tense body.

Last edited:

XcodyX

Jun 4, 2001
Oranges, I say...

Eat a ton of oranges about an hour or half hour or so before you go riding. I've heard people say that it reduces arm pump like crazy, and I've heard people say that it's stupid to waste time eating oranges...but trust me...It works better than you'd believe. :confused:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
My hands feel much better when I'm squeezing with my legs. I think this helps to take your weight away from the bars. Less need to death grip those Pro-Grips! Keep your mind on squeezing and i bet you'll forget about those hands!
;)

Lightfoot

May 12, 2001
I can understand the Phychological part. I can ride in the edge in the woods in some of the nastiest conditions for hours and I feel totally loose and comfortable and never cramp, but put me on a motocross track and I just can't get loose. Hands cramp and arms pump up. I know if I would just relax and I would do fine.

Scott

N.H. Hick

Mar 10, 2001
had this problem a few years back. i would mtb all day long and my hands would hurt badly. i tryed all that realaxing stuff and it didn't work. i tryed to ride sitting and that didn't work. so i bought a set of hand and forearm muscle builders. I did 5 reps of 40 every morning after showering and the same at night before bed. it payed its toll on my arms for a month. i had problems picking up my bag and couldn't even swing a ax. then i let up for a week and ate a lot of protien and fruits and vegtibles. my arm and hand strenght went up 5 fold. now i do it 2 reps of ten every day. keeps those muscles toned.
might not work for all of you out there but it did work for me

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
New solution!

Ok, I had a great weekend riding and felt better than I ever have. Steve helped me set up my suspension and jet my carb so my bike was running and handling better than ever.

He took me on some intermediate level trails in the Cascade mountains near Lake Wenatchee. They were fairly wide, with some switchbacks and a couple of creek crossings and lots and lots of sidehills. I was standing more--the only reason I would sit down was from exhaustion as I'm out of shape--and I felt great on the bike.

What helped the most was looking ahead. This is something I have to force myself to do since my brain wants to know what's going on right in front of me. But I worked on making myself look up and ahead as far as I could see (also because these are fairly popular trails and there is no posted direction). It really helped--both with death grip, and with not freaking out about steep sidehills, and with my body position since if you're looking up and ahead you have less tendency to hunch over.

So while it's not easy it does work.

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Eating oranges help arm pump, maybe thats my psycological thing-a-ma-jig but its awesome how much it helps. Ask your biology teacher why it would take pain out.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I just wanted to say thanks again for all the replies. No, my problem is not solved yet (I haven't really been riding as we've been busy with cutting trails - hope that builds up my strength) ;)
Michelle

Top Bottom