Red_Chili

Nov 30, 2005
Maybe this is common, maybe it points to a problem that is common, maybe I'm just 'lucky'.

If I fill my overflow bottle to the upper line with 50/50 antifreeze, it seems I dribble coolant pretty constantly. Bad for the wildlife and a little worrisome. The bottle will go nearly empty. It seems to be via the overflow/breather hose for the bottle. This seems to be pretty common. But if I just fill it to the BOTTOM line it STILL goes down. Never had a bike do this, and mind you, I ride an XR650R (aka 'Teakettle').

Bike runs great, in fact, the Gnarly Desert reeeeeeeallly woke the dang thing up. Went around the block for a jetting check (recent snow means no off-road for a while around here) and either somebody stole something that weighs around 40 pounds from my front end, or there's a few more ponies stretching their legs and lifting it when I crack the throttle. :aj:

Got back to the garage and I had a dribble of coolant. STREET hooligans fer pities sake!

More info: new piston with maybe 10 hours, new gaskets (Cometic hg/base gasket), no evidence of losing coolant in the motor, low hours overall on the bike, runs strong as stated, overflow was empty when I bought the bike. The bottle is not 'overflowing' exactly, it just loses coolant, never rises above where I filled it, just goes down. Coolant level in the rad is nominal, so that's not where it's going. Dribbled coolant external on the lower cases. Cool temps, not particularly aggressively ridden - yet. Hmmmm...

Re-route the overflow tube higher? I expect I might want some reserve coolant come summer.

Last edited:

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
KDX's are chronic for doing this. Leave the bottle empty....will not hurt a thing. The only real cure for overheating is to use a coolant called Evans NPG+.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
This may be coincidental but mine will do that on occasion when I lift the front end up high. I've never
lost a substantial amount of fluid in the overflow bottle though, just little drops on the driveway or cases. If your exhaust doesn't smell like coolant I wouldn't worry too much.

Red_Chili

Nov 30, 2005
Great site, bookmarked. Thx. All worry, no substance apparently.

Though his is older (my KLX300 had this arrangement) I thought about rerouting the outlet hose, since I figgered it would siphon if ANY coolant entered it. Good to know - I'll try a longer hose located higher just for grins and giggles, though it seems like it doesn't matter.

Also FYI, the bike is not overheating (I only WISH it was that time of year) so I thought I'd better solve the issue or I'd really run into it come summer.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Its not overheating............don't worry about it. Most just leave the overflow empty or take it off completely. Where it stays in the radiator is whats important. I've had mine empty for 5 years now.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
220s run hotter than 200Hs. Some 220s do have overheating problems under taxing conditions. My 200H seemed to do the same thing with the tank that yours is doing: it would go down a little bit with each ride. I never could see evidence of any drizzling happening on the frame (from overflow). Finally I just got sick of messing with it and removed the tank altogether (I routed the radiator overflow tube up and through the hole in the down tube of the frame and then pinned it to the side of the opposite side of the down tube with zip ties). Since then I check the radiator after/before each ride and the level always is right at the top....right where it belongs.

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
Yeah this is funny. I have an '01 220 and never lose a drop of coolant, even in the summer.

I wouldn't worry unless your level drops in the rad.

Just my $0.02

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
AUS is upside down, so the siphon/loss problem doesn't happen down there.

RC: Yes, coolant loss is common, but the dribbling after the fact (in the garage) isn't.

My $.02: Replace your cap. OEM Kaw isn't required. Any autoshop place can get you a cap that will fit your rad and be the correct pressure. You cannot always tell from looking at a cap that it's bad. For a couple bucks, take that fact out of the equation.

Oh.. a 'standard' pressure cap is fine. 1.1kilograms-per-fig-newton-squared or somesuch. As long as the depth is correct to seat against the rad epiglottis and of course it's the right diameter and the cap tangs are good, you'll be OK.

I left my bottle on. IMO it DOES accomplish something. While it IS always empty and I don't worry about it, there are times rad coolant escapes to the bottle to be later recovered by the cooling system. With my bottle off, I found I had to replenish coolant regularly..hence, it's back on. Yes, generally empty, but my rad level doesn't change.

Red_Chili

Nov 30, 2005
Hehehe... Your Oz comment might explain a thing or two about my Seth Effrican friend as well...

Yeah, I'll give my rad cap a change. I put a KX500 rad cap on the XR650 and it helped along with other things. Oh, and if y'all think the KDX overheats, as an XR650R owner, all I can say (with apologies to Crocodile Dundee) is:
Thet's not ovahheatin'. THIS is OVAHHEATIN'!"

KDXJeff94

Jan 25, 2006
Never had any overheating problems with mine though that isnt a problem for shorter distances as long as the rad stays full.

My bike always runs perfect once i get it started... its getting it started thats a problem.... when i first bought the bike it had been sitting for a week and it took me over an hour to get it started... thats is probably partly cuz the bike was new to me. I have had a bit of problems on the odd time were i let the bike sit for a few days... im not looked forward to etting it going after the snow melts...

any suggestions??

Red_Chili

Nov 30, 2005
*JUST* crack the throttle and kick very sharply. Should light on the second or third kick. If it does not, you might need to:
1) play with the pilot air a tad
2) make sure your choke circuit (and all carb circuits for that matter) are pristinely clean
3) make sure you have a fresh, clean, appropriate heat range plug
4) all of the above.

Woodsquest

I love DRN!
Dec 15, 2004
KX500 cap: There is an optional cap rated for 1.6 if you want to try that. I did and no leakie. Check buykawasaki.com for a part #. Pricey at about $20 or so though. I have not seen that rated cap at the local auto parts store or else I'd a gotten it there.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Some how this thread took a different turn at the fork in the trail. Anyways KDXJeff94, hows your
reeds looking? Hard starting can also be caused by worn or frayed reeds. Do what Red_Chili said
and if that dont work look at your reeds

KDXJeff94

Jan 25, 2006
your probably right ill check the reeds. I have adjusted the pilot air and have brad new plugs that are gapped like the manual says and are the right type.

i need to clean out the carb and change the reeds that should work

thanx

Top Bottom