braamn

Jul 2, 2003
Hi friend of mine has a 95 250 KDX, went diding this week-end and soon his bike started overheating..Checked the oil window on the side of the bike and YIP the oil has gone grey..So this means either head gasket or something else..RIGHT?? Please I need some advice as to what to do now, do i expect the worst and start stripping down the motor or could it be a nother seal that has gone??

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
There are two common reasons for coolant to enter the gearbox. The first is the water pump seal. The other is a blown head gasket. The water pump seal is an easier job so you could try to replace that first. If it doesn't do the trick I'd suspect a head gasket.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
A "blown" head gasket will NOT put any water or coolant into the gearbox. A leaky waterpump shaft seal will though. Is the oil light grey or dark grey? If it's light grey -- it's probably water in there. That seal is fairly easy to exchange if you have the service manual.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Sorry, wasn't thinking. A blown head gasket usually presents itself by excessive, sweet smelling smoke out of the exhaust.

braamn

Jul 2, 2003
What we did now is run the motor with the radiator cap open.. We figured if the head gasket was leaking the water would bubble out the radiator seeing as the exhaust gas would leak into the cooling system..the oil is light grey so it has to be water pump...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom