carts69

Feb 27, 2010
Hi all! ok.... kdx 220, just noticed white mixed in with transmission oil, noticed this today after a ride.Visable through the oil level window, any ideas whats gone! not been through any water & bike has not come in contact with any wet for ages, is this a sign of water mixing with the oil. Any advice please? oil change only 1 week ago!

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Water pump seal, shaft bearings, and possibly the shaft aswell all worn out !

carts69

Feb 27, 2010
Not sure if its a white foam, is milky and clinging to the little oil level window, how can i detect whats gone, whats best to check first, head gasket, pump seal???

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
it's a KDX. Probably due for a teardown anyhow. Just do it all.

Allegedly, 2 strokes are cheap to work on.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
lmao @ allegedly.

I rebuilt mine top and bottom, replacing all bearings, seals, replating cylinder, new piston, rings, con rod, power valves, all for about $600. Try that with your four broke!

As for the OP, you just need to pull the inner clutch cover from the RH side, remove the water pump cover, remove the impeller shaft, and replace the seals and bearings there. Cheap and easy. No reason to tear it completely down for this unless there are problems with the bottom end.

carts69

Feb 27, 2010
Thanks for the advice! so is the water pump seal favourite over the head gasket, is this the best place to start, what are the tell tell signs of a head gasket gone bad?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Not a favorite so much as that it's impossible for water to get into your tranny oil via the head gasket unless you own one of those silly 4 strokes.

carts69

Feb 27, 2010
Hey... No silly 4 strokes around here :| im a 2 stroker, always have been,always will be. Ok so water pump seal it is, saying that i have just had another look in the oil glass & appears no white unlike yesterday! will the white settle on top the oil or has it mixed in?

tribey

Mar 31, 2010
I've got an air cooled that makes the gearbox oil look milky after a while, so it can't be a water leak, its just the way the gears mash the oil.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
On your aircooled, you're correct. Although I don't know why "gears mashing" the oil would make it milky. You might be getting water in there one way or another. Leaking in during water crossings perhaps? On a these water cooled KDX's when the oil seal in the water pump goes bad, the oil turns into milkshake. Not just looks a little milky or cloudy, but like a milkshake, lol.

Top Bottom