Painting gas tank

joeman1281

Apr 2, 2004
Is there a paint out on the market that can be used on a 1988 kdx 200 gas tank any answers will be great

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I used the new fusion paint from Krylon. Start with a clean dry tank. I used a degreaser on the inside and a very light sanding on the outside. I used the whole can and focused on the portion of tank exposed at the filler / seat area. (The part that shows if scratched.) After paint had set for a full week, I tried it out. Gas in the tank doesn't bother it, but if any gas gets on the paint, it will wipe off. The heavy coat of paint helps here. In order to get a good "plastic" look, wipe the exposed portion of the tank with 00 steelwool. It will give it a dull finish to match a newer '03 -'04 black tank. Also, a quick wipe with the steelwool will camoflague any scratchs it picks up in the future.
What ever you do, don't try to apply a touchup coat of paint over your job at a later date. It will blister in tiny little bubbles that, when wiped off, gives the bike an apperance of surviving a severe case of acne. If you deside you don't like the paint job, gas will remove it completely if you wish. Be safe using it though, it is gasoline afterall.
Hope this helps.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You didn't mention the color you are after. If it's black you might consider dyeing the tank vs: painting it.

I don't remember who did that to good effect. I thought it was Skipro. Guess not. Maybe it was Braahp?

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Maybe it was Braap, but I dyed mine too. That's a fine memory you got there CC. Only problem was that it eventually wore off or faded. Anyway, it ended up a muck olive drab green after a few months. Started out good looking though.
joeman1281:
Sorry the krylon didn't stick for you. How did you prep the tank? Did it peel off, rub off, or what?
If my paint job fails, I'm thinking of making a cover for mine out of numberplate decal. Black of course. Maybe a second set of shroud graphics trimmed to blend with the shroud and seat matching graphics. Or perhaps some of the seat cover I have from when I changed my seat to tall foam. I remember when naugahyde tank covers were the thing. I even had one for my older '84 KDX200.
Sorry for the rambling. Now back to work! (Just started a new job as a supervisor, and I just love saying that!)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Mr. Jason: You must use a large container as a garbage can to die something like a fender because the entire piece must be damped. ;)

re (from the supervisor): muck olive drab green

Aha! Good to know that now. I'd filed the tank dyeing idea in the 'future use' category. Now I can unfile it. Well, REfile it in the 'don't use' category.

Is that tank cover a gripper?

Last edited:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Yup, for my boys so they quit dancing around so much!
(painful just thinking about that!)

est142

Dec 30, 2003
i also used the krylon fusion paint, to paint my purple tank black. i also painted the side panels bright white. the paint works well, but the part MUST be 100% cleaned. i used rubbing alcohol. clean it twice completely, and use some elbow grease. i found that painting in the 60-70 degree range only, worked the best. i tried painting over the winter in the garage, but the paint had a tendency to curdle. if it curdles, wipe it off immediately and re-clean the area you are trying to paint.i recoated several times,but all during the initial painting of the part...not day after day. with patience the fusion paint will come out great...and i am kind of picky. gas spills will dull the paint, but did not remove it in my case. excellant economy trick for an older bike.

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I recently used a 'fusion' white on my bike. I think it is made by krylon specificaly for plastic. I am guessing that spilled gas might degrade it in time. I found this paint in my local hardware store. hey it looks good from a distance anyway and a lot better than it did.
goodluck

rockers109

Oct 13, 2002
If you clean the tank with acetone then spray it with sherwinn williams flexible bumper primer, which works the best I've tried them all. And then spray it with rustoleum plastic paint. It doesn't come off when you spill gas on it. This seamed to last the longest before it starts to bubble up( about 10 months if you leave the gas cap loose when storing it. Bulldog plastic paint remover can actually clean the gas stains and sun fading off the tank, usaully with four or five coats.Found this out by accident when I was stripping off the paint on my 86 yz tank which is white. The tank had brown gas stains really bad. The remover made it the tank look new.Just make sure you where rubber gloves with this stuff it burns like battery acid.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Brakleen doesn't do it any favors.

That's a shocker, I'm sure!! ;)

It does a far better job on plastics than previous one each spray-can paints.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I have paint two tanks with the fusion paint. Looks great until you use it. Bubbles all over it in the heat of summer with gas in the tank. Don't paint your tank, it is a pain in the butt and doesn't look very good for very long. Just wait till you brush a tree branch in third gear, scratches and bubbles all over it. my .02

rockers109

Oct 13, 2002
I was painting my tank once a year and it did take abuse pretty well. But, a new tank is definitly the way to go.check out clarke manufacturing they make replacement tanks.

rockers109

Oct 13, 2002
yes, it does last. although I ride on tracks not in the woods anymore. It's the bubbles that are the problem. That's why the acetone is important to use just before you paint it. Brakleen is good for cleaning it but, it doesn't seal the cells in the plastic the acetone does. Vinyl car seat paint also holds up good as a top coat. And yes just like any abused parts on the bike it will need to be touched up every once in a while.There's a company that you can send your plastics to to get painted but, i don't remember what it was, it was in a moto mag.

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
Yeah Vinyl car top paint sounds like a good idea. I used it once actually on a car though and it lasted a long time through rough winters. Just take photos right after it its done so that you remember how cool it looked cause it could be all shredded off in one decent wreck. I was going to say I always warm up a can of spraypaint in a HOT water bath before I spray it so it flows a lot better, that might help.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…