WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Well dirtybkr and I finally got on the road towards Paragon around 2:00 p.m. on Friday. After a couple of stops along the way we arrived at the campground at 6:30. After setting up camp we headed into town and picked up groceries, and drove around until we found a place that sells beer (Note to self, bring beer from NY next time). Unfortunately they didn’t carry NA beer so dirty had to settle for ice tea. We got back to camp and BRush had arrived and was sitting in the dark. A few minutes later knobbiethrower pulled in. The next few hours we sat around, had a few cold adult beverages, except for dirty, ate dinner then crawled off to bed around 12:30 in the morning.

I woke up last Saturday morning and after bacon and eggs we got everything ready and headed over to Paragon. After signing in we jumped into our gear, fired up the bikes and headed out. Saturday’s trail guide ended up being knobbie, by default, since he’d been there before. There were a few highlights to this days ride. We went up and down Turtle Trail a few times, but that was boring compared to the other stuff we found.

The first to into the rocks, literally, on trail 10 was our fearless leader, knobbie. I followed and bulldogged my way up a slightly easier line the lost the trail. BRush followed me up then disappeared. I realized my mistake turned around and caught dirty making an almost perfect climb up the rocks. After picking the smoothest line over, around and between giant boulders I came to a spot where BRush was standing at the top of a hill. It was short, steep and off-camber with a nice sized stump right in the middle. BRush yelled something down to me, but in a moment of clear-headed thinking I saw the line going up through more boulders on the left. I took the line to the left, met up with BRush and schemed on how to suck knobbie into climbing that hill. Our first victim was dirty who looked up at us standing at the top and, in a moment of testosterone/stupidity, gunned it for the top. He made it a good five feet before crashing. After a good chuckle I pointed out the easier line through the rocks on his left. A short string of expletives followed. When knobbie arrived at the hill we waved him on up, which he proceeded to do. In all honesty I thought he would make it until I noticed he was focused on the stump and that’s all the further he made it. BRush and I had a good laugh and I overheard some expletives coming from knobbie, but eventually he bulldogged it up the rocks.

Later in the morning knobbie led us into another field of boulders. This one was absolutely huge and he started off bulldogging his XC300 through the field. BRush, dirty and myself searched out a smoother line, which took us across a large boulder and back into the trail. It was this section where dirty lost part of his brake pedal. After this little section we decided to head back and grab some lunch and make repairs. For the record a tie-down J-hook, hose clamps and duct tape make an excellent pedal repair.

After lunch we head out to explore some more stuff and try to find some single-track. Going through a rocky section, dirty dumped his bike. After getting through I waited for him and when I turned around BRush and knobbie were gone. For a couple hours dirty and I explored some different trails until we found the ultimate hill climb. At the bottom it starts out as a jeep trail that disappears into the trees. Once in the trees it becomes a quad trail, but continues going up. This hill was long, fairly steep and covered with loose dirt and rocks. The biggest factor was keeping up the momentum. At the very top the trail dead ends, but some scouting around picked up another quad trail. Judging by the number of deer stands around, these were just access trails. We linked the two trails then turned around and rode backwards and back down the hill. Once at the bottom, dirty and I turned around and headed back up again. At the top of the hill I shut off my bike and immediately heard a string of expletives followed by revving of an engine, and more expletives. I hiked down the hill to find dirty stuck against a tree. After a few minutes he I was rolling on the ground laughing at this point and absolutely useless in helping him. He did manage to free himself and make it to the top of the hill. Once there we took off our helmets and took a break. Suddenly we heard the sound of two screaming 2-strokes. I look over at dirty and he said “I bet that’s knobbie and Brush.” Sure enough they popped up into the clearing. After a few words of encouragement we continued down the trail.

Blasting down a high-speed road I had my first an only crash of the trip. As usual, when I do something, I do it BIG and this was no exception. I was bringing up the rear at this point, behind BRush. First a rock kicked up from BRush nailed me right in the goggles. Then he went through a puddle and splashed mud up. At this point that testosterone/stupidity thing kicked in and I decided to pass BRush. I swung to his right and grabbed a handful just as he changed his line to avoid a rock. Instead of getting stuffed into the bushes I ducked behind BRush, into his old line and hit the rock he moved to avoid. I’m not exactly sure what happened, but the bike augered in on it’s left bar. I was slammed to the ground then rag-dolled for 20 to 30 feet. I saw sky, ground, bike and weeds over and over in slow motion. When I came to a rest I took inventory and after a few minutes, staggered to my feet, picked up my bike and took off my helmet and sat down. BRush came back to check on me. About this time jmics and his buddy rode by. Then Cruiser (from the Smackover Motorsports forum) rode up. I looked over my bike and the left bark buster was bent beyond belief and the forks were tweaked in the triple clamps. Down the trail, dirty was attempting to fix a flat front tire. I got my bike down there and we attempted repairs, which included breaking the bark buster. However I did find a nice sized tree to straighten the forks out. Unfortunately dirty was having all kinds of problems with his front tire, so using some industrial strength zip-ties, that Cruiser carried, he zip-tied his front tire to the rim and we decided to head back to the parking area. This of course included a blast up the rocky Turtle Trail.

Once back at the parking area we decided to call it a day. We loaded up and headed back to the campground. After a shower, steak dinner and a couple adult beverages by the fire we headed off to bed.

To be continued

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Day two I woke up a little earlier, but stiff and sore from my get-off the day before. I cooked breakfast for the die-hard camping crew then broke down camp and headed over to Paragon. Myself and dirty were the last ones to arrive. RM_guy, rohnman, trigger and weimedog had all showed up for the day. As I pulled in, RM_guy was already giving me grief about my injuries. Trigger was there and, as luck would have it, he had a spare left bark buster. I wasn’t too concerned about smashing my hands, but dropping my bike in the rocks could break a lever. I hobbled around mounting the bark buster, changing the air filter, gassing up and getting dressed. We finally took off with a guy named Dan, who was riding a ’97 limited edition KTM Jack Piner who was going to show us some single-track. The group had to spread out on the roads due to the dust. Not five minutes into our ride RM_guy had a flat front and had to return to the truck. That’s what you get for all that smack talking!

Dan led us to some excellent single-track which is part of the Moonshine Enduro. It was here that I was very thankful that Trigger had the extra bark buster. At one point weimedog and Trigger split off and went back to find RM_guy. We blasted through some more single-track which was in excellent condition. Everyone was having a blast in this section. Then we rode a very rocky two-track where one wrong line choice could ruin your whole day. I stalled once, but never dumped it. From here we went back up Turtle Trail and ran into a group of Jeeps coming down. It was here that RM_guy, Trigger and weimedog caught back up to us. We made our way back to the parking area for lunch with a pit stop down by the pond.

After lunch knobbie and I decided to take everyone up our famous hill. Unfortunately finding it again proved to be difficult. First knobbie blew right by it. Then after RM_guy pointed to the wrong trail on the map, I led us the wrong direction. Fortunately I discovered my mistake and we found the hill. Trigger went first followed by weimedog, knobbie, myself, BRush, RM_guy, dirty and finally rohnman. Half way up Trigger stalled and knobbie stuck a pass on weimedog who then stalled his bike behind trigger, so knobbie and I did a Spanish conquest of our favorite hill. BRush came up behind us then Trigger, weimedog and rohnman. We were all sitting there when we heard a cry for help coming from below. Trigger and I walked down to find RM_guy pinned against the same tree that dirty was stuck on the day before. Trigger climbed down and freed him from his entrapment. Unfortunately dirty had been stuck behind the entire mess on the hill, but did manage to beat RM_guy up the hill. We unofficially call that Howe hill.

We did some more trail blasting. Both knobbie and weimedog are former mx racers and that competitive mixture (testosterone/stupidity) really comes out. Unfortunately it’s no fun for the rest of us choking on their dust for ungodly miles of open terrain. Finally Trigger led us to some more single-track. I saw that trail and blasted ahead of everyone. This is the stuff I was born to ride. The single-track was in excellent shape with absolutely zero dust to speak of. I came to a break in the trail where it crossed a two-track. I waited there a while until dirty poked his head out followed by the rest of the gang. I decided not to chance fate with another shot of testosterone/stupidity and decided to let someone else lead through the next section of single-track. When that section ended we waited for everyone, but rohnman had not arrived. BRush and I looped back and rode that section of trail again, but he was not there. By now it was about 3:00 so we headed back to the parking area via a nice rough and rocky trail.

Along the way we saw jmics with some other riders resting on a hill. We said “hi” and continued back. At the parking area Trigger introduced me to the manager of Paragon and we talked about some various motorcycle-only events they could hold on their property. They have some excellent future plans for this place. After a few minutes a jawing I headed over to where we parked an amused everyone with my parking lot Nac-Nac. At this point dirty and I decided it was time to pack it up and make that four-hour trek back home.

All in all it was great weekend. I’m still a bit sore with several abrasions and a cantaloupe sized lump on my thigh, but I can still limp around. It was great getting to meet some of those I’d never met before and riding with a few of them. For those of you that missed this weekend, you missed one hell of a good time. :aj:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Man I wish I had more time to report on this ride. I had a blast. I was a little disappointed that I didn’t get a chance to see Woods eat it though :debil: His crash must have done something to him because on Sunday he had no idea where he was going and couldn’t read the map at all. I showed him exactly where we were but he refused to believe that some guy on a RM could possibly know anything about the woods. He did finally get us to the big hill climb and I managed to get hung up on the same tree that dirtybkr got stuck on. I was stuck so bad that I couldn’t even get off my bike :eek:. Trigger finally heard my girly screams for help and got me dislodged. Thanks bud.

Back to the start. Weimedog and I got there about 9:00 and unloaded and got geared up. All of the guys that stayed overnight were already there except for Woods and dirtbkr. I was afraid to ask why they were so late getting there. :eek: We finally got going around 10:00 and I hit a rock that was hidden in all the dust right at the start. I almost went down but was able to save it. The bike seemed to be handling funny on the trip down the access road but I was busy concentrating on keeping on the road in the dust. When we turned off onto the trail I knew something was really wrong. I stopped and sure enough I had a flat front tire. Not a good way to start the day. I had a patch kit but not tube so I babied it back the mile or two to the truck, hoping the tube wasn’t shot. Luckily there were only two small tears and I was able to patch it. Half way through the job, weimedog and Trigger came back to make sure I was OK. They didn’t understand my hand signals that I had a flat tire. I’m sure Woods filled everyone’s head with all kinds of reasons why I turned around at the very start of the ride. Of course I would have done the same thing :p After putting more air in both tires we took off to find the rest of the guys.

I’m glad we didn’t ride in the rocks as much as last time. It helped that Lori and Dave weren’t there :p All the trails we hit were very enjoyable from the tight single track to the fast fire roads with large muddy water holes. The last loop that Weimedog and I made at the end of the day took us through some really nice single track that we need to explore better next time. I went through a tank of gas for the bike and 1 ½ gallons of water for me. It was very hot when we made stops but not bad as long as you were moving along.

It was really good to see and ride with everyone. As usual, Woods talked all kinds of smack and he ended up crashing the hardest. I’m looking forward to the next time we all get together to ride.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Love that report...actually I was one of those "somebody else's" on point for much of that last round of single track too..at a relaxed pace 'cause 'old age, excessive poundage, and newbie trail skills ' were over taking "testosterone/stupidity"! I heard this whooping and hollering behind me some where....I thought at first someone augered in but after looking back a few times all seemed well...I think it was knobby trying to get a quicker pace! Trigger and rohnman had taken off to the parking area and when we got to the first road we expected trigger to be gone but not rohnman...I think Rbush and woods did a loop around to look for him while the rest of us hung out feeling guilty for not running back as well. Those last single track trail sections we rode were the nicest riding trails at Paragon I think.

On that hill climb I made the mistake of getting too close to the guy in front of me...followed him right to a stop..I jammed on the brakes and stalled...typical newbie trail mistake. So instead of fighting I just turned back down the hill and ran it again to the top. One of those e-start moments. Fun hill.

After we stopped that last time at the truck where many decided to call it a day, RM_guy and I went out and ran some more of that awesome single track. RM_guy was on point. We ran into some trucks stuck on a hill side so RM_guy "inovated" and we ended up finding a bunch of single track we had not been on yet. Also found some new jeep trails. Nice trail ride to end an excellent day.

Highlights of the day?

1) Woodsrider's impomptu free style while we were chillin by the trucks..
2) No hospital trips for anyone riding with us...
3) Not finding even a scratch on my unprotected frame and cases even after all those rocks. (got to get a skid pan!!! oh yea those bark busters too for Paragon!)
4) Going back and forth all day around 4X4 trucks that seemed to have moved inches an hour...I'm missing something here I think. They were working really hard it seemed.
5) ALL That single track stuff

Last edited:

FLYIN_KAW

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 19, 2000
:) Man I wish I could have made it. Guys you got to make Turkey Point if you can. Check out Places to ride and Damn Yankee's forum
later

Trigger1911

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2001
Once agin, A perfect day! For those of you who didnt come, you blew it!!!

Work kept me from camping but I made it up early in the morning. We had the time of our lives. Lots of laughing and fun.
The highlight of my day was walking back down 'Howe Hill' to find RMGuy held against a tree by gravity while still sitting on his bike! I almost :uh: my pants laughing!!! Even Dave was laughoing himself. what a place and it is only getting bigger and better by the week. Another 9000 acres opening soon!! I will be up there marking new trails this weekend if Dan "Scooter" Cole iis around. (he is the rider with the 1997 blue Jack Piner edition KTM 200EXC there Woods)

I am glad this thing worked out and everyone is OK. Unitl next time, ride safe.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Unbelievable fun. my goodness that place just rocks in all sense of the words heheh. I had the priviledged to speak with a few of you guys but unfortunately didnt have the chance or timing to ride with most of you. One thing is for sure I NEED TO TALK TO SCOOTER MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11. man I cannot follow trails or read maps to save my life . After bad ,bad excursion of getting stuck and setting there taking a break and see a sign stating that I was going the wrong way on an expert jeep trail. I realized right quick I had to be a lot more careful!!!!!!! fortunately where we got stuck was not far from a main path so we just backed up and learned to look a lot more .
sorry I showed up late on sunday but ... well you know how it goes sometimes .
only seen 5 incidences 2 flats and one broken handgaurd. and then my luck heheh rode completely physical incident free , dropped the bike a couple of times but it was always the slow just step off the bike and let it fall type. But after all said and down and time to clean up, I knick my hand trying to cut the zip tie holding my water spout to my chest protector and then I dropped the freaking shampoo bottle on my little piggie when in the shower that one hurt!
awesome ride! awesome place ! andast but not least the few chances I got to talk to you guys was awesome also.

when I get the few pics we took I will try to set up if I can figure out how to do it !!! looking forward for my next chance to catch up with you people thats for sure!!!!!!

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
It was great to meet you guys, and I had a great time on the ride, I'm just sorry I couldn't join you on the afternoon adventure, but I need to get all the single track on the maps so you guys can find more of it. There is enough there to spend the whole day on single track, we just need to make a few connecting trails first. I also just found out that the opening of the other 9000 acres is still a ways off due to environmental issues, but there is a 2500 acre section which should hopefully be opened soon.
"Howie Hill" as it looks like you guys have named it, is just as you said, an access for the deer stands, but it will be a trail in the future,(and I will mention thje name "Howie Hill" as a suggestion when naming it). Some of the trails there have received their names in much stranger ways than that. If anybody is heading to Paragon, and wants someone to show them around, just let me know.....unfortunately I am only there on Sundays right now.
Heres a suggestion also...... September is the ATV Jamboree, we should all put training wheels on our bikes so we have "4-wheelers", and crash their party.....who knows, training wheels may help
;)
Dan

Last edited:

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
You know Dan, I think you have a business opportunity there...that GPS to map is really very well done on your part. Take it to Clubs across country to map their favorit trails.....get paid to play cyber mapping and ride some of the best trails in the country.

Worst case hire out as a consultant to let them build their own and train AE style. (Application Engineer). Especially out west and in some parts of the south.

And you folks out there, these maps and the guy who made them (Scooter Dan) are the best way to learn Paragon.(sorry Woods and RM_Guy). I can imagin maps ski resort style with green through black diamonds offered at the sign up areas for places like Paragon or at local Motorcycle shops for the favorit mountain trails in places like Wyoming. Good stuff.....in the mean time you can bet I will certainly try to catch up with you on our next Paragon Expedition.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by weimedog
And you folks out there, these maps and the guy who made them (Scooter Dan) are the best way to learn Paragon.(sorry Woods and RM_Guy).
Ah, but what fun would exploring new trails be then?

I mean we would have never found trail 10, seen knobbiethrower do a flying W into a log or suckered him and dirtybkr into trying that hill climb. We would have never found that big rock garden where dirtybkr lost part of his brake pedal and then cobbed trailer parts to make a spare. Either he's ridden enduros or owned a Harley. Then of course we never would have found Howe Hill, but that name sounds kind of lame. How about Spanish Fly Hill, since it was the Spanish bikes that would fly right up! ;)

Heck, when I go to a ski area I'll stuff the trail map in my pocket and never see it again until the next trip. If I did take it out I'd never get my wife to go down half the stuff she does.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
LOL you can all ways choose to stuff any map, ski or trail...
Spanish Fly Hill? LOL. I guess one of those Roman Roads helped grow Blue Steele Cantalopes ;) Or was it the Milano Melee Jeep trails?

Actually I'd like to give my older kids a map and say something "meet me at the "Austrian Goat Trail" around 3:00 or at the 'Kazuki Parking Lot" around 5" so they can run a pace fast enough to keep them interested while I cruise around at my more relaxed pace.

Last edited:

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
ok now is Howie Hill the one when at the bottom there is a small triangle of trails? as you head up it is a gentle curve to the left up a loose rock slope and as soon as you get into the woods youare aimed right at a tree to make a 90 degree right going staight up thru the woods? oooh man that one ticked me off!!!!!! especially since my buddy climbed right up it on his xr 400 and I am doing nothing but basicly bouncing off trees on my old yamaha yz. gonna have to go back and conguer that one!!!!!

as for spanish bikes making it up does that mean I am going to have to look for an old bultaco pursang? I do have an old engine from a montessa and a bare kx80 frame would that work ;) after all it is against my religion to have anything new :) :)

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Howie gonna make it up that on an RM! :p

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You guys better be nice to me or I'll have to start charging admission to my hill :p and I won't show you the real good lines to get up it ;)

philb

Oct 28, 1999
I wish I'd been able to make it, but wife says we needed to finish moving into our new house 1st! Did you find the little "braking bump" on the access road back to the staging area? i'm not sure what it is/was but it's right across the trail, like jumping off a little cliff going out, slamming into a wall on the way back.(especially when you forget it's there.)

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
yeah I know like I said sorry I got there late

the pics are only the tip of the iceberg lol we wished we got into the single track . but he wanted to show how big the place is . I particularly like the way he did the panaramic shot of the parking area.

next time we are goint to try and do a video cam movie for the site lol any ideas from anyone on how to hook a remote lense to a sony digital video camera?

Last edited:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
It’s a great riding area. The single track is the best riding, but aslo the hardest to find. I hope they get around to adding some of it to the official trail maps. I was glad we were able to hook up with scooter1130 and his Jackpiner 200 to see some of it on Sunday morning. RM_guy, too bad about the flat – you missed all those trails!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by BRush
...RM_guy, too bad about the flat – you missed all those trails!
Weimedog and I hit a bunch of single track on our last ride (while you guys were packing up). I don't think we were on the same ones as you did earlier but there were very nice anyways.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom