gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
Well let’s see. It rained on 6/7. Did I mention it rained? Well if not it rained and it rained. Eugene ( I forget his screen name here ) Guy ( gxdragon ) myself ( gixer ) and Frank who is not on this forum had a nice and wet time at Paragon. It started off with a nice 2-hour drive to paragon in you guessed it the rain. I drove out there with Eugene and Frank and we were meeting Guy there. I was awakened from my sleep when my cell phone went off and it was Guy going are you still coming? He was afraid we would not show up due to the rain. I was pretty excited because I could try out my waterproof enduro jacket and keep nice and dry. I think I need to check the dictionary and see what waterproof actually means or may be they need to check it out because after a while I was soaked. It was a long while at that but its not water proof. The trails were filled with water, the streams were filled and moving fast. Frank was concerned at one point when he pointed out that the water moving down hill was going faster than we were. We all had a good time. I had never ridding in rain like that in the woods so it was a first for me. No major catastrophes oh wait you had to see this though. On the way up Valley road you know the nice section with all the rocks with the nice up hill? Any way Eugene is in the lead with Guy right behind him. They shoot up the middle and all of a sudden Eugene comes to a sudden stop and pulls off a superman. I have never seen some one get their legs so far above there head like that. He then starts to fall over and takes Guy along with him. Frank and I were laughing it was amazing to see. No one was hurt the bikes are ok. Thank god for safety gear. There were a couple of other little spills here and there but nothing major. Amazing with all the water in the trails. If it ever dries out the trails will definitely be different than they were last time you were out there. The water was moving and moving fast over the whole park. Not many people out there at all so it was like we had the whole place to our selves. Can’t wait to do it again.

Steven

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Wow, sounds like I missed a great ride (haa haaa haaaa....)! I give you guys credit and the True Sportman Award because only die-hards would go in that stinkin' rain.

How long did you guys last out there?

gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
I think it was like 4.5 hours. Got about 35 miles in. Would have been more if not for all the uh RAIN.
It was a good time though.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
35 miles is a good ride at paragon. Doesn't sound like the rain slowed you down at all.

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Ok, this is my version of what happened. oh, and by the way if Steven forgot to mention it, it rained.

I got to paragon about 8:40 Steven, Eugene and Paul arrived about 9:00. We paid and got ready I pulled my bike off the trailer and tried to warm it up. Nothing happened. I checked the gas, the choke, keys on, nothing. The rain had killed my electric start.

Luckily I had taken the advice of a DRN member and bought the kick start for my bike. I was not accustomed to using the kick start but by the end of the day with some help from :worship: these guys I was a pro.

The first wipe out of the day was me. As we rode a wide section of trail full of rocks I looked to the left and saw what seemed to be a smooth section on the grass. Yeah the grass. Who would of thought wet grass would be slippery :confused:? The first rock my rear tire hit sent the bike sliding out from under me and I fell into about 3 inches of water. I jumped up grabbed the clutch, (the bike hadn't stalled) picked up the bike and took off.

We rode for a while and Paul led us onto some single track. Even the single track had about four inches of rushing water running down it. I wondered if this was actually a trail or a small stream. Paul and Eugene had pulled ahead. I eventually came up to Eugene picking up his bike and very unhappy :|. He pointed to a rock, which he said deflected him into a tree smashing his new computer.

Later as Steven had said we were going up an incline there were two paths. I saw Paul go right and Eugene go left up the rocks. I had been following Eugene most of the day. I just liked the lines he was choosing through the trails, so why should now be any different? Just about a couple feet behind Eugene I was looking for the best line up this hill. I didn't see a good line up this hill :scream:. Ahead of me I see Eugene come to a sudden stop. He goes flying into and over his handlebars. I say to myself, "Self, you better stop". I reach for my brake, just then 'bang' the front tire hits a rock causing me to miss the brake. Then Eugene and his bike fall to the left on top of my front tire taking me down with them. I'm glad I picked up those radiator guards Thursday ;) they did their job as did Eugene's. (By the way, is this why everyone says not to follow Eugene?)

Paragon was pretty much a swamp and the rain kept fogging up the glasses brought. Because I was sure that glasses wouldn't fog up like my goggles would. So a lot of the time I was riding blind. I kept hearing a voice "Luke, use the force". Who's Luke and force him to do what? I'm gonna have to go to doctor for that.

I had a great time the rain didn't bother me that much. I just concentrated on riding and didn't think about it. I have little extra insulation and even though my water resistant jacket wasn't as resistant as I would have liked it to be it kept me warm enough as long as we were doing some work.

Let's do it again, rain or shine!

eugeneorange

May 5, 2003
I think it’s time to clarify a few things.

First, I’ve been to PAP about 10 times and I NEVER got LOST. You really can’t get lost. Sooner or later, you always come out in an area/trail/road/rock that you recognize. I don’t really care if I’m not sure at every point of ride which direction is what. Keeps me on my toes. And there are always the friendly green arrows :-> On the other hand, let’s just say I wouldn’t volunteer to give directions :)))

Second, the now popular phrase “Don’t follow Eugene” derives from my CHOICE of trails, not from my mapping skills. I like a challenge thrown in my way every now and then (admit it, you all do too), although not to the extent described earlier in this thread. Hope my wife doesn’t read this, the computer I smashed was a Xmass gift from her. Yep, 2nd gear pinned + 10” tall rock hidden in grass + ø5” tree one foot off the trail = ~!#$%^>auch!!<@#$!
As for that incomplete endo Steven and Guy described - fun to watch, not so much fun to perform. I run straight up that little playful section at the bottom of Valley rd. all the time. I don’t know if the down-hill running water eroded the soil around the boulders, but it was too late when I found out that I need 34” front wheel to roll over them. BANG! Like a trained parrot I swivelled half way around the bars after they made an imprint in my chest protector. That sudden dead stop launched me feet up rather unexpectedly and dropped me back down just in time to catch poor Guy behind me, and inviting him to join me in my gymnastics. (eeeeeaaaaaaaauuuuch!)
Not so bad considering these were the only two wipe-outs I scored the whole day in those conditions.
Anyway, despite the constant rain, it was a great ride. So was the pig-out dinner later at Damon’s.

eugeneorange

...Paragon gives a whole new meaning to the word “rock’n’ roll.
It’s more like “you hit a rock, then you roll” :•)

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Yeah you guys rock! Way to ride the rain! Theres nothing like ripping in downpouring rain, as long as your not cold you dont mind being wet, its Lasie Fair drench your buddy fest time :). I was in Reading on the 7th at the air show, and guese what,,,, IT RAINED! but we still had a good time checking it out in the rian :).
Hard core RULZ!
Hey, they ARE dirt bikes NOT Harley's right? :).

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Glad to hear you guys had a good time, with no injuries except for 1 computer :whiner: .&nbsp; But one question.....did it rain?

&nbsp;Sorry I couldn't make it, but I already had plans for the Southwick Nationals on Sunday, and had a great time at the races with, get this......NO RAIN.&nbsp; I had a nice DRY drive to the track..... watched the riders get muddy during qualifying&nbsp;from the previous&nbsp;days rain, while I stayed DRY....Had a&nbsp;DRY lunch in the Mach I/Yamaha pits.....stayed&nbsp;DRY watching the races, taking pictures(they will be up in a few days)&nbsp;and looking for Pappakieth(who I never found).....And then had a nice DRY drive home.&nbsp; Did I mention that the rain finally stopped?

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I was looking for you too scooter, as I walked Dryly around the Dry track.
That's enough Dry humor from us, eh? ;)

gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
Ok Ok guys you had some nice dry weather. Today is beutifull over her on Long Island. As Eugene put it " it would be to hot to ride today anyway" at least thats our story and we are sticking to it.
Steven

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Originally posted by gixer
Ok Ok guys you had some nice dry weather. Today is beutifull over her on Long Island. As Eugene put it " it would be to hot to ride today anyway" at least thats our story and we are sticking to it.
Steven

Yeah, and real men like it wet anyway!

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
Any of you down state guys going to Hancock on the 21st and 22nd ? How about it Steven ? You and the silly Slovoc meet us for two days of dual sport mayham . 100 miles on Sat and 125 on Sun . We will be on the same trails as the folks qualifying for the ISDE .

gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
I think Eugene is going I on the other hand am not. To many things going on that have to get done. I will be at Camp Jeep the following weekend so I need to get a few things done.

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
I understand . This may be my last play weekend for a while . My kid and her fiance just bought a house and are planing a backyard wedding . The place needs work and they are broke . It looks like I'm going to be cheep labor for them for the next few weeks .
I'll keep an eye out for Eugene .

eugeneorange

May 5, 2003
Hey guys,
Yes, I'll be in Hancock this weekend. I know, it'll be hard to find anyone there but just in case, I'll be there with 2 or 3 other guys driving big dark blue 4x4 extended Ford van lic.plt: SWAMPTNG. Two of us will be riding orange.

If the event will be anything like last year - it'll be awesome. It was one of my BEST RIDES EVER! For those who have done it last year, you'll know why I'm proud to say that I rode every foot of it. Both days. Every hero section, no bail-outs. Man, was I "spent". Plus... we get to ride the ISDE qualifier stuff this year (so I heard).
I'm sure I'll have a valid reason to take a sick day on Monday :•))

Hope I see some of you guys there.

-roost on!

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
Glad to hear it Eugine . Bill and I will be there in my white Nissan with two Gas Gas bikes on the back . Just like the last time you saw it .
We will be riding both days and camping by the river .

Top Bottom