Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yup I've gotten those types of "in stock" parts too Jeff. "Now which piece is it you need? Show me on this bike here." Next thing ya' know the wrenches come out and your parts is available. :thumb:

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by Wraith
Shoot, they don't even sponcer local races, let alone racers! :ugg:

:( Sounds like the Honda dealer I work at. Most of our inventory, besides goldwings (well the sportbikes too because the salesmen ride 'em), are there just to keep the honda rep. happy...and dirt bikes are the scum on the bottom of the pond. It's a bummer for the only motocrosser there. When the crf450 first came out and every other dealer couldn't keep up with demand we were sitting with them on the showroom for months until they got dealer traded. Thats how pathetic they've worked themselves into the local motocross scene. The only parts for a dirt bike we have would be by total accident because it's used on some other street bike...maybe like a generic bolt. Local racers drive 30-75 miles to go to the other two dealerships in surrounding cities. Whenever there's a dirt bike question I always get paged to talk to them. A few weeks ago this guy called looking for some parts for an older cr250. After putting up with the parts guys BS for a few minutes the parts guy finally got me...the gentleman that called was sooooo happy to finally talk to someone who knew something. I suppose it doesn't help our parts guy was a dope head in college and can barely remember his own name :laugh:

Originally posted by Wraith
My buddy puts bikes together for them as a 2nd job. He works 30-35 hrs for them weekly, and they give him 5% off on parts[/B]

that's total crap...I get stuff for 5% above dealer cost even though I worked part-time after school for two years.

Originally posted by yzguy15 Hey Patman, inventory control (ie special ordering) is a big deal to these shops. Most can't afford to keep much in stock at once. A friend of mine that works at a local dealer said that he has to special order almost everything and it sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do to stay afloat. Hopefully somebody that actually works in a parts department will chime in here and back me up. [/B]

Yep...but a dealer should have basic stuff, like a decent selection of bolts, air/oil filters. What a dealer has in stock depends on what type of ppl they are aiming for. The dealer I work at is going for the old farts that ride goldwings so we got a buncha goldwing crap. The accountant and I finally snuck a big Fox order for a buncha sweatshirts, T's, gloves and other cool stuff. Once the younger peeps found out that we have some cool stuff they actually started coming and buying that stuff. But a dealer's gotta go all or nothing on this stuff...if you have a half-assed selection of stuff ppl won't go because you gotta get it ordered and they can't leave with it.

APOWER

Nov 2, 1999
I work in a parts department of a fairly large power sports dealership. Not only is expensive to stock a lot of parts, but it takes a lot of room. We are a multibrand dealer and we have a large space in the back dedicated to hard parts (nuts, bolts, etc.), and we still have to special order often. I will say, however, that 9 times out of 10 we've got your oil filter, brake pads, or inner tube.

With so many types available from our dealership (Dirt bikes, cruisers, ATVs, crotch rockets, PWC, Jet Boats, and trailers) we absolutely cannot stock so many replacement parts to satisfy everyone. Especially for our lowest selling item: dirt bikes. And of course your KTM dealer has a lot in stock, all their bikes are practically identical and undoubtedly use similiar fasteners from model to model.

Furthermore, try to give those guys behind the counter a break. They don't get paid much, so its difficult to get a knowledgable adult to take the job. Also, I can't tell you how many times our watercraft guy gets blasted with someone trying to find suspension parts for a (insert early 70s KZ model here). He gets the job done but it can take a while. And I'll make no gaurantees that I can find saddlebags, supports, and chrome bolts for some yahoo's bike when he barely knows what decade its from and what color it is.

The reality is you participate in a very small sport. And the local businesses that sell bikes are very small in comparision to Pep Boys or NAPA or whatever. All you can really do is plan ahead and carry back-ups of what you think you might need and suck it up if you have to miss a weekend cause of a special order. We're lucky they even bother with dirt bikes at all.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Thanks APOWER and Moto Squid for the insightful look into what parts guys have to deal with on a day-to-day basis. It's kinda nice to know what kinda crap the other guy has to deal with.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by APOWER
The reality is you participate in a very small sport. And the local businesses that sell bikes are very small in comparision to Pep Boys or NAPA or whatever. All you can really do is plan ahead and carry back-ups of what you think you might need and suck it up if you have to miss a weekend cause of a special order. We're lucky they even bother with dirt bikes at all.

Glad your not our parts guy :think: I disagree that all you can do is suck it up, you can instead support the dirt friendly dealer they are out there.

I will never consider myself lucky or that some dealer is doing me a favor by accepting thousands of dollars a year from me in exchange for bikes and parts.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I own a Honda but order most of my parts from a GG/Husky dealer. They are a small outfit but definately understand the dirt (the owner races Enduro's as does the Parts man).

I come in and they know exactly what I'm talking about when I have an issue or need something. I try to order as much as I can through them unless it is something I can a lot cheaper elsewhere but even then I am selective of who I choose over them.

Too bad they don't sell Honda:(

Ivan

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by Chili

Glad your not our parts guy :think: I disagree that all you can do is suck it up, you can instead support the dirt friendly dealer they are out there.

I will never consider myself lucky or that some dealer is doing me a favor by accepting thousands of dollars a year from me in exchange for bikes and parts.

I totally agree with you Chili. I've only been in this sport for a couple of years now, but every year, I as well, spend tousands of dollars on my bike. Now I will tell you, anything I need that isn't OEM I get at another local (parts only dealer). And he treats me great. Because he is a buisness man trying to make a liviing. But he started from the get go, I didn't have to go in there 10 times before he started cutting me breaks. I hate to ave to do this, but I am getting so fed up with the local Honda shop, that I'll probably go mail order for OEM parts now.
But on a side note. When I had my YZ, the local Yamaha dealer (who supports local racers and races) would have everything and anything for Yamahas. Granted, most of that was for 96 and up YZs. But I guess that is why you see more Blue than any other color around here ;)

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
ya know all of this great technology has created a lot of this mess. bikes getting major design changes every three years and every year a model has minor design changes. think of all of those part numbers.........yes, there are lots of them. but when you think about it todays machines are a whole lot more reliable than generations past. so i guess what i am saying is that it could be worse. i know you would think that even goofy brake pads would be pretty standard but they are not. heck my last yz there were two styles of brake pads for the front. changed the caliper in the middle of the production yr.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
There really isn't anything bad for me to say about my local Honda dealer...they've been very helpful and friendly. Unfortunately, there's this one guy who always seems to think I'm retarded. I was looking at jerseys and some other gear, I had a couple items in my hands that I was planning on purchasing, and this guy came up to me and said, "Are you finding everything all right?"

"Yes I am, thank you."

"...are you SURE?" (as if he was asking a toddler) :uh:

"Yes."

<rolls eyes> "OK..." :silly:

WHAT THE HECK?! The next time I went in there I got the same kind of reactions from him. :moon: :flame:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Randy,
It takes a good man to handle things correctly.
That being said, punks like that who are there to serve you should be fired for such an attitude and actions. I would definately want to know if an employee of mine even thought about treating one of my customers that way.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Maybe a friendly phone call to the owner of the shop would help. Jaybird's right; most businesses want to know if their people are giving a bad impression or bad service so they can correct it.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by ktmboy
Jaybird's right

Wha???? Dammit KTMBoy this is the flame forum not a place for sucking up and making friends. Posts like that are liable to swell ole Jaybirds head. Next thing you know he'll be expecting someone to cook food for him this weekend ;)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
{perk} Food! :)

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
I gave up on dealership parts idiots. ... after the dealer ( who I have purchased over 8 bikes from) parts guy told me for 6 weeks that parts for my 02yz250 were on back order. I was bitchin about it to a friend of mine and he told me to e-mail him a the list of parts I needed he would check with Yamaha of Troy. In 5 days I had my parts, and was told there was no way the parts were on backorder. I called the dealer back and they gave me some lame excuse, so I said fine just give me back the deposits I put down on 2 03yz250F's and I will take my buisness down the road.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Must just be the Honda dealers. . .My yamaha (well used to be yam now zukes :( ) was allways great. I never had to order a single thing from them. And all the parts were for a 82 YZ100. I replaced just about every bolt, the clutch basket, clutch cable and some other stuff and ALL was in stock! I was shocked, yet extremly happy that each time I went to buy parts I walked out of the door with the part(s) I needed. Now I have to go to one of thoes 'multi' dealers. But the one I go to is realy good they specialize in offroad things, like dirtbikes,ATV's, and snowmobiles. But also have street bikes and such there. Kinda of a far drive at about an hour but the best around here.

APOWER

Nov 2, 1999
Chili:

I understand that you spend a lot of money on bikes, and your dealer should be appreciative of that and treat you accordingly. In my experience (at least at our dealership) when we've still got a couple 2002 250s we're selling at cost, its tough to justify to a small business owner who has no particular interest in off road motorcycles to carry them when he runs the risk of taking a bath on them. We sell a considerable amount of PWCs and ATVs in a day, but only occasionally do we sell a full size dirt bike. I wasn't suggesting that all over the country nobody cares about dirt bikers or their money, I was only showing my point of view that in some parts of the country (or in other countries as the case may be) there isn't a comparitively large amount of money to be made in dirt bikes, so they are sometimes placed on the back burner.

If you feel you deserve a certain level of treatment that you aren't currently getting, then as a consumer it is your right to take your money wherever you choose. If you find a business who is able to satisfy your expectations, then by all means, take your money to that business. On the same token, keep in mind, that just because a dealer is capable of getting parts for your bike, if that's not the market that he's trying to keep most happy, then you aren't going to find what you need in stock every time.

Also, I've heard the story that only one Honda motorcycle dealer has ever gone belly-up, so maybe everynody's getting the shaft from Honda because they're a little arrogant?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
APOWER:

I think our market is a perfect example of focusing on a segment of the market treating those people right and it comes back in return business. In the City I live in and within a 40 minute drive of the city we have 4 Yamaha dealers, 1 Suzuki dealer, 1 Kawasaki dealer, 1 Honda dealer, 1 Honda/Kawasaki Dealer and 1 Honda/Suzuki dealer and 1 KTM dealer.

Out of the 4 Yamaha dealers 90 % of the Yamaha's racing localy here come out of 1 dealer because that dealer is a friendly family operation and they offer excellent service and parts pricing. Of the other three Yamaha dealers two of them sell MX bikes as an afterthought and treat their customers accordingly. As an example the last Yamaha we bought my son we drove the 40 minutes out of the city rather than patronize the dealer 10 minutes from my home even though the price was going to be the same. The remaining Yamaha dealer is a new dealership and they appear to be taking a real interest in MX so that is hopeful.

The Suzuki, Honda/Kawasaki and Honda/Suzuki dealers all have issues ranging from rude staff to lack of knowledge or interest in the MX products and parts.

The KTM dealer has a huge following in the MX community and thrives because of it. They offer trackside assistance at every local race as well as sponsor a handful of elite riders. They have a fully stocked trailer at every race as well as a mechanic on site for any emergency mechanical work or tire flipping you want done. The KAWASAKI DEALER my son rides for is the other success story also offers trackside attendance at every race which allows us to carry a limited amount of extra parts since the trailer is at every race. They also have a program in place where every Kawasaki rider that wants to ride for them is on the "Team" whether you bought the bike from them or not. This program is setup on a points system based on the year of your bike how much gear you wear that they sell (again regardless if you purchased from them) how many logo's and trailer decals you run, how many races you attend etc. Everyone gets 10% regardless and if you max out the points list you get 25% off all parts and accessories. They also tend to be a little more fair to their racers if you want to trade up on your trade value and simply try to sell your trade to recoup the money on the deal vs give you $800 so they can sell the trade for $1200. This dealer will also get their racers any part they don't stock 2nd day air to avoid a mechanical downtime come race weekend.

The bottom line on all this rambling? Well I could probably grind each dealer for a hundred here and there on a new bike and a few bucks here and there for parts but given the history of the dealers locally here my son will never have a chance to ride a Zuki even though they were always my faves and odds are good even though we still only qualify for 10% at the local Kawi dealer my son will be on green bikes for years to come simply due to customer service. It's always nice to walk into a dealer that all the parts guys and sales folk know your name after your 3rd visit.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by APOWER
I've heard the story that only one Honda motorcycle dealer has ever gone belly-up

7 here in Santa Clara county have gone under. 3 in Alameda county......

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom