Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I spent the first four hours of the race out there spectating today. All I can say is WOW! It was very cool. There were about 50 teams I guess, and the course looked awesome. Not a lot of dust, just lost of loamy dirt with tree roots and rocks.

My daughter and I roamed up and down the pits visiting all of my friends, while inside, I was dying to get out there and ride. Maybe next year.

This was the first time that I have made it out there, and this race looks like tons of fun. Right now, they are about 8 minutes from the half way mark. The leading team at halfway will get a $250 bonus.

The club is using transponders to score the event. There was a large flat screen monitor on the computer that they were using and they linked it up to a big screen TV so spectators could see what the current standings were.

The lap is about 10.5 miles long, and the leading teams were doing 25 minute lap times in the early going. The #1 KTM team seemed to be holding back and was runing just inside the top 5 when I left to come home

Start planning now for next years race. This event is going to get bigger and bigger. Maplesville is one of the premier places in the southeast to race.

Speed Channel was there covering the event and said that it would be shown soon on Two-Wheeled Tuesday with Greg.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
I am home from the race... somewhat battered. I had to have stitches from smacking a tree with my leg. Luckily for me on of our pit crew who also supplied our impound bike is a doctor by profession and sewed me up. THANK YOU Doctor Mike!!!! :yeehaw: :worship: :worship:

We ran well.... our first rider out holeshot the start and then crashed at 8 miles out. We ran second for a while and then faded. We raced hard and finished fourth. We were gaining on third, down by 6 minutes going in to the last hour and caught back up to within 2 minutes. We had a shock failure which started early in the first 6 hours and probably cost us some time before we got it all figured out and changed out the shock. Don't know what other maladies the other teams suffered but I know we couldn't keep the pace of the first two teams in our class, but it sure was fun racing for a trophy at least. We finished fourth in Open Sportsman (Team Acadiana Dirt Riders # 62) and I think 21st or 22nd overall.

We had one other notable event. We almost got DQed for having too big a party going on. All the people dancing out in front of our pit almost blocked off pit road. :) The event staff shut it down. I was sleeping during that portion and missed it but heard it was a heck of a party!! None of our riders were drinking mind you, but our pit crew was sure having a good time and when it came time to pit... they performed exceptionally well in spite of the Daddy Pops being consumed.

I am sure there is more to report, but right now I am just really too tired. I will post more as memory serves as I am sure other DRNers who attended will do and hopefully spike my very short memory.

Can't wait 'til next year.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
AL Randt was on a team with Al Gravitt and Mike Grissle, how did they do?

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Fred, I don't know. That team that he was on has won the event the previous two years. When I left to come home, they weren't leading, but they weren't off of the pace either. Lots of racing was left. I'll post some results as soon as I find them.

Randy, Did you guys have a black enclosed trailer in your pit that said, "Dirtrider.net" on the front of it? If so, it was right were there was a bridge of the creek. I walked past there 3 or 4 times but didn't see you. My riding buddies were on team 84, 85, the VCC team and the dirt tech team.

Glad you guys had fun and finished without major injury.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Yes.. that was my trailer. I didn't see you either. There were so many people I guess it might have been pretty easy to miss someone unless you were specifically looking for them. We didn't have any major injuries. Just the usual bruises, scrapes and monkey butt. My stitches were all that required medical attention. We were team #62.

We had a blast and are looking forward to next year! :yeehaw:

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
lawman said:
sounds like fun to watch...not sure I'd want to do it, tho!
Come on down!! Darin and I would have enjoyed having you there. You would have a great time and would be well fed. Darin didn't ride this year but donated his 450 EXC for the cause and prepped the bike very well. :worship: :worship: to you Darin!

Randy

FAST JACK

Apr 6, 2004
24 HOURS IS A LONG TIME, just finishing an event like this is an accomplishment, our team, Graham's Kaw & KTM led the first 6 or 7 hours in the overall but pit stops and light problem at night put us third in open expert and seventh overall. Planning, organization, and support crew are absloutely critical, it seems this race is usually won by the guys that stay out of the pits the most. It is hard to compete with limited resources but everyone should give it a try at least once because as said before, this event is getting bigger and better every year and in two or three years, this will probably be one of the bigggest races east of the Mississippi.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
FAST JACK said:
... this event is getting bigger and better every year and in two or three years, this will probably be one of the bigggest races east of the Mississippi.

I agree. This was the first time that I have been able to get down there. I definately want to ride this event next year. I think maybe next year or the year after, we'll see the KTM factory rig and maybe one from Kaw and/or Yamaha at this event.

The pit road was really cool! And, I heard from one of my co-workers that her daughter was partying in the pits until about 2:30 in the morning. :yeehaw:

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Timr said:
The pit road was really cool! And, I heard from one of my co-workers that her daughter was partying in the pits until about 2:30 in the morning. :yeehaw:

Tim, it was about 3:00 when they shut down our pit party. It was very reminescent of a street dance. Just a whole bunch of folks having a good time.
We may have to ask for a special pit area for next year so we dont disturb the other teams.

The event was very well run, I have been there twice and we are still learning lessons. We will be back, I want that elusive top 10 finish! It seems to be getting more fun every year. The Perry Mountain bunch are a great group of folks.

On a side note, Doty and Ed rode for the Motorcycles for Missions. They were taking pledges for either lump sum or by the lap. This is a great cause, one of many, but it does make you feel a little less guilty about having so much fun in one weekend.

PS the winning team Hattiesburg Cycle donated their entire winnings to the fund. One of the Ironmen also donated his winnings to the shriners. I think it was the second place guy. I was a little tired after being up for 32 hours.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
Hey Randy,

So you say that we can thrash Darin's bike...sleep in his camper....eat his wife's cooking...AND drink his beer at the party until the wee hours? Man, in that case, sign me up! That is quite a team owner!

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
lawman said:
Hey Randy,

So you say that we can thrash Darin's bike...sleep in his camper....eat his wife's cooking...AND drink his beer at the party until the wee hours? Man, in that case, sign me up! That is quite a team owner!

You ought to know that Darin doesn't do anything half-way!! It was a great time and you should try to make it down and hang out next year.

m83

May 28, 2004
I raced it this year . my team finished in 54th place but we really had a good time we learned alot and are already prpearimg for next year

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
I tell you, Darin and his wife really know how to take care of people. I appreciate the hospitality I was shown this weekend and look forward to the day I can return the favor.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
m83 said:
I raced it this year . my team finished in 54th place but we really had a good time we learned alot and are already prpearimg for next year
Same as us.... we learned alot last year and just did better this year. I didn't think we could have more fun than last year but we did! :aj: :aj:

LTRA04

May 17, 2004
Actually,
Hattiesburg Cycles A Team Rider, Landon Carter took the lead on his very first lap... It wasnt even 4 hours into the race yet. They kept the lead for nearly 21 of the 24 hours.
And I second that Darin and Debbie are a riot and down right good people! Acadiana Team made the event a blast!

Top Bottom