drBill

Dec 2, 2001
Hey guys,

I know you guys know this area like the back of your hand, so I'm coming here for some answers. (Hopefully) I rode Phelan/Baldy Mesa with my youngest son this week. His first time there. We had a blast and staged at the RR tracks off the 15 and worked our way West on the top of the ridge towards the big sand hill. I haven't been there for probably 18 months and noticed a lot of new sign-age prohibiting riding.

I noticed there were a few new spurs heading N down into the manzanita jungle. (Good!) I got to my favorite one and low and behold - closed to motorized vehicles. (Bad) All the others were posted no riding too until the main road about 10 miles in.

After getting down into the Wilson Ranch Road (?) area, we hit the big sand hill and then headed back East towards the 15, but down in the manzanita "flatland" area. On the bottom there's no signs prohibiting riding those trails. Actually, there are a few signs telling you when you enter the forest and even a couple of signs telling you the difficulty of the trails. Looks to be OK from down there.

What's up?? It's OK to ride from the bottom up, but not from the top down? Doesn't make sense. Also, my fav trail is in the bottom of that canyon with the houses on the E side of it - it's a spur heading South back up to the main ridge road and ST. (Maybe 3-5 miles from the 15) Is that trail still OK? I'll be bummed if it isn't. I did notice that the "no motorized vehicles" sign at the top was totally flattened by what looks like 100 bikes! :laugh: Was that leftover from your ride last week? :yeehaw: :yeehaw: Still, nothing on the lower side saying it was off limits.

Thanks for any info. I've been hearing bad things about riding the whole Hesperia area. I'd hate to loose this area (Phelan/Baldy Mesa). Don't want to piss off any of the locals, but I really want to be able to ride those snakey manzanita trails that I love, especially the spur that ends up in the bottom of the canyon with the houses opn the bluff to the E. Am I going to have to be a mid-week outlaw? :| :(

Thanks, Bill

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Bill, I know what you're saying about the signage coming up from the sand-hill area all looking good, but not the other way around. I know at one time the Forest Service was working on making/opening up a loop, but I haven't heard anything in almost a year, and I'm guessing that's where the signage confusion comes in. I guess the only good news right now is that the particular trail you mentioned is outside the Hesperia sphere of influence. I see no problem hitting that trail on a weekday, but it seems the Rangers are most active up there on Sundays, so if you were to ride it on a weekend you might want to back-track it towards the sand-hill as opposed to climbing out to the road.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
P.S. The Rangers are almost always on quads or pickups, and mostly hide along the road waiting for you to come by at which point they'll check your registration and spark arrestor. I've actually had them shove their little stick in the silencer to check this.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
I noticed alot of closed signs as well.
Just off the subject--Phelan seems like one of those places that's just open land wating for a developer to plop houses on. It also reminds me of what most of the land around Acton, CA must have looked like back in the 70's.
I'll bet in 5-10 years homes will start encroaching.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
ktmboy said:
I've actually had them shove their little stick in

Ouch, No dinner first? :rotfl:

Re signs, As with most places I've ever ridden most trail markers and signs are quite confusing. Try to stay legal and do your best not to roll up on any rangers is my best advice.

In one area, I actually say a sign posted in the ground staying "It is illegal to disturb the soil in this area." Question: How they get the sign post in the ground??????? :bang: What they send Bob the sign poster out to do his job then through him in jail for a year for following their directions?

We're all outlaws in the minds of the greenies anyway.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Technically, riding from the Wilson Ranch area is a no go, less you have a plated bike. We stay off and away from anyones property out there, where we stage, end of Wilson Ranch, is county property. If you get caught going between the staging and the riding area, they may fang you. The ridges are open normal riding, just venturing off is chancey.

Ktmboy, don't act like you were surprised by the sticking, least you weren't wearing the tutu!LOL

drBill

Dec 2, 2001
Thanks guys, I guess I just try to stay away from houses and ride under the radar. Either that, or come out on one of your rides and risk having to wear the tu-tu. :laugh: Bill

Top Bottom