Jerry B

Sep 19, 2006
I am going to the GNCC Hare Scrambles race at Unadilla this weekend, what I need is a suggestion on how to shoot in the woods without blinding riders coming at me? I do alot of side shots and going away shots so I do not blind em but would like some on-coming shots. Most likely, living in NY, it will be cloudy and I have tried many different things but haven't hit on the right one yet. I am brand new at the photography thing so everything is trial and error rite now....thank God for digital! I would post a shot from the last race but I am still new and have a few post to get in first I believe. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
What camera / lens will you be using?

Main thing would be to shoot in a spot with consistant light ...
I'd suggest going to Shutter Priority (Tv) and set it to the minimum acceptable speed. In tight woods, with them coming towards you or away from you, a lower speed will still stop action. See if you can get away with ISO 400 and no slower than 1/500, slower may even work, but don't let the shutter speed drop below the length (mm) you are shooting at.

Shoot RAW to allow exposure adjustments after the fact.

With experience? Go full manual, shoot a white card in the ambient light, set custom white balance and maunually expose to changing conditions. It's pretty easy for the in camera metering to be fooled.

Here's a shot of DRN'er Fatherandson from DirtWeek 05. It was pretty dark in there, but I found a spot where the subject was "all in" the shade. Shot at ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/1000, 70mm. I metered on the ground and locked before he got there (metered on the ground about where his boot is).

Attachments

• woods1.jpg
    woods1.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 372

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You're going to have troubles in the woods if that's your only lens, unless you stay real close and only shoot at the 18 end so that it's a 3.5 lens.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
I've never really shot in the woods, except for a MTB race last year. I had a few people mention they didn't like the flash in the face, so I shut it down.

I agree with Chili, you are going to have a tough time with that lens, unless you're really good at panning.

Jerry B

Sep 19, 2006
Like I said....I am new to racing and photos(x-racer wounded to the point of new hobby)...so I have only 3 lenses, the one I mentioned, an AF 70-300 1:4-5.6 and AF 300mm 1:4. I know these are not for what I am doing so what lenses should I be looking to buy?

Jerry B

Sep 19, 2006
Here are some shots I tried at Unadilla...

dr4.jpg

dr9.jpg

Again I'm new and I believe I have to "slow" of equipment, I did go out and buy PS, now I just have to figure out how to use it.

And this is one of my "woods" attempts...

dr11.jpg

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I'm not a Nikon guy and I'm not really familiar with their equipment list so I can't recommend specific lenses for you. That said most moto guys are shooting with lenses that are a constant 2.8 aperature and have their own focusing motor in the lens like Canon's USM and Sigma's HSM.

The lenses you have will be capable of getting some really nice shots but it will take work on your technique as well as good light. You will basically need to prefocus on an area and shoot the rider as they hit your focus spot, or concentrate on slower spots where the lens can focus fast enough before the rider is gone.

The specific problem I see you having in the woods is the lack of light to be able to shoot at f4.5 at the long end of that lens.

ebers17

Apr 25, 2006
Jerry, seth here. I posted this in the wrong section once, but if you want, can you post that pic of me thats a little foggy in the head, and i'll take that along with those other photos you posted and mess around in photoshop with them tomorow at class. or email them to me, whatever works. and all the credit will go to you! I'll pay you for my photo too if you'd like even!

granby607

Jun 12, 2002
I rode the afternoon race... and I'd like to thank ANYONE, experenced or not, out in those conditions shooting the race.
Your pictures look great to me... good luck in future efforts !

Top Bottom