Clint3240

Oct 21, 2007
ok well im going to be buying a brand new bike this week, a honda or yamaha, going more towards honda.....i ride on a local mx track but im mostly in the trails, i currently have a rm125....going to be getting a 450....i was just wondering if there is a big defference between the trail bikes and mx bikes so i dont get some bull from the dealer...thanks

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
hi

I think, mx bike are offroad only with no light, no stator for lighting etc its really racing.

Trail bike may be more legal with light and more equipment, prolly a speedometer etc but not on all models.

The mx one may have better suspension, lighter weight, etcs.
Am not really sure, but i think thats difference like this.

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
For 09 there is big differences in the Honda CRF/R and X. The R got EFI and a complete redesign. Go thier websites and see what the spec sheets say. The older, 08 and prior, crf's were the same base. The X got lighting, different cam and porting, wide ratio tranny, 18in rear wheel and woods suspension. Similar idea at Yamaha with the YZF/WRF.

So yes, there is big differences in models.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
There is a BIG difference between the "off road" (also known as "trail") bikes and a MX bike.

A MX bike is built for race. If it doesn't help it go fast, it generally will not be on the bike. So no kickstand, no lights. The engines are built for performance and generally need premium gas. While the bike is rugged the engine requires frequent top end rebuilds.

The "off road" models are built for more casual riding. The seats are usually lower to the ground to accommodate shorter riders. This usually comes at the expense of less suspension travel, making the bikes less suitable for MX track use. The engines are "de-tuned", which means they run just fine on regular gas and will last a long time, but they won't develop the horsepower that their MX cousins will. The bikes are heavier. They generally cost a lot less, like half what a MX bike would cost.

Then there are the "enduro" / "Dual Sport" models. These bikes are generally closely related to the MX bikes, having high performance engines, full suspension travel and such with the addition of lights and a kickstand. They tend to cost a bit more than the MX bikes do.

If you are planning on riding the MX tracks then I would recommend getting a MX bike. I would much rather have a MX bike on the trails than a trail bike on the track!

If you are planning on getting a 450 you probably won't have a choice of a trail bike. the 450s are usually either MX or Dual Sport models.

Rod

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom