KayDeeXer

May 7, 2004
My dad and I both have the exact same bike: 2004 KDX220's with fmf gnarly pipe and turbine core II silencers. After our last outing in the woods, I laid my bike down and unfortunatly put a dent in my pipe (not very big...but noticable). I then started noticing a little "pinging" noise that my dads bike doesn't have. Now my bike is definately louder than my dads. Can a dent do this?? Or is my bike running too lean?? I never recall this noise before the dent...but it is possible. I just want to make sure I am not running too lean!!

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Possible that you bent the pipe mounts enough that the pipe/silencer joint is misaligned? Or possibly not sealing at the cylinder outlet?

Yes, possible that 2 otherwise identical bikes could need different jetting. But it should not change due to a small dent in the pipe.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
23jayhawk said:
Or possibly not sealing at the cylinder outlet?
That's my thought as well.

ezandeve

Jan 10, 2004
Hey there,I have the same problem sometimes after I lay my bike down.If its more of a piffing pinging sound that follows ur engines tune your pipe aint seating into ur exaust port nicely.Take it off and bend/twist the mounts/pipe untill ur satisfied with the fit then try it out again.Hope this solves ur probs

KayDeeXer

May 7, 2004
Hey thanks for the replies!! My bike does make more of a
ezandeve said:
piffing pinging sound
I will have to check that mount out. That is just where the silencer and pipe come together right?? Sorry...I am pretty knew to the dirt biking world!!

03KDXHOPPER

Nov 23, 2004
The previous guys probably stated it all. If the dent is small, you'll not notice much in the way of power. Big one might change things a bit (acoustics).
Probably not running any different mixture wise unless there is a big exhaust leak. Something rattling?

The pipe probably did bend. Look for oil seepage after riding awhile from the joint to the silencer, and also the head. That might pinpoint an exhaust leak for you. Don't forget to check and/or get new o-rings if you take the pipe off from the head! Seal everything when you reassemble...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom