Pipe or KIPS?, not your standard problem.

FeelinFordy

Feb 13, 2005
This afternoon, decided to fix the leak in the FMF pipe to cylinder seal.The mounting brackets on the pipe were holding it too far forward. Like the brainiac I am :bang: I decided to investigate the KIPS for carbon/stuck as a possible cause of low end stutter off idle. (Carb jetting is 152/42)). Anyway took off the left cover, did not look too bad, sprayed some carb cleaner in and proceeded to wipe it down. Thought I would try pushing on the rod that actates the KIPS valve and saw the valve spin like Reagen's head on the Exercist. Did notice the rod did not come back to the starting position. So took off the Rt cover, everything looked fine - quick wipe down slid rod back over and noted it moved freely. Buttoned everything back up with the pipe now corked into the cylinder.Had a difficult time starting, once going had a lot of smoke (Grey/White) and a terrible bog off idle. Compression is 180lbs.
Thoughts? 1. Pipe now sealing is restricted with Carbon build-up?
2. Is it posible I pushed the KIPS Rod past the point it engages the teeth on the left valve gear and when pushed back it re-engaged out of time?
3. By sealing the pipe, the carb is now jetted rich?
4. Least likely, the CDI/other electrical part picked this exact moment to act-up?
Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend! Any thought appreciated.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
try two copper gaskets for the exhaust or three if needed. tear the top end down and see if your kips is till intact. sounds like your problem lies behind the right engine cover though.

FeelinFordy

Feb 13, 2005
I'll look at it this weekend in more detail and let you guys know. The pipe seals well now so no gaskets etc... needed.
It just needed the mounts elongated to pul it into the engine.
Before this a lot of exhaust escaped around it. Purchse in February and have been fixing the small things, seemed to take a step backwards here.

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
Just a tip from personal experience. The gaskets that belong between the pipe and the port, two copper and one rubber, will keep the spooge from coming out completely. I ran mine without them until I discovered it was supposed to have them. A definite improvement. They're cheap too from the dealer.

FeelinFordy

Feb 13, 2005
Solved Kips related Bog

When I took off the top end today to access the left Kips valve, foud it had indeed moved in relation to the marks where it should be. I corrected it noted it had a lot of play in the gear mesh area. Probably will be replacing it soon.

Top Bottom