Mike McGlade

Jan 13, 2000
Can anyone tell me what FMF pipe is stamped with the following ID number-039KB30? It has the "Burly" stamp on it where it would say "Fatty" or "Gnarly". From what I have read in this forum, it seems that it is a beefy (thicker construction) model of the rev pipe-(30 versus 35, rev versus torque) but I am not sure. Any help will be appreciated.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You got it.

There are two different profiles from FmF available for the kdx, -30 and -35, rev/torque respectively.

All of the common/descriptive names aside (gnarly, fatty, burly, desert etc), you have just the two choices. The numerous terms make ID a bit confusing. Simple if you just use the number.

For a number of years FmF has made their kdx pipes from a heavier gauge (18 vs: 19) metal. That's where the burly/gnarly part started.

Oh...this is for 95+ (H model) bikes. And both profiles fit both kdxs (200/220) and have the same 'effect' on power band..basically rev=higher, torque=lower.

Mike McGlade

Jan 13, 2000
Thanks, it is what I suspected but now I can plan some more decisive engine mods since I have had to pull the engine for maintenance and teardown. I'm going to look funny riding my kid's XR80 in the meantime.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I just ordered a -30 for my 220 today. The book called it a gnarly desert pipe. It called the -35 a gnarly woods pipe. Will it come nickel plated? Or should I have specified that?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Both pipes have the same finish...the only choice you have. FmF says their pipes in this series are '...nickle plated and the most copied finish in the world.'

If you're real lucky, maybe you'll get one with rust on it and holes in the welds!

My -35 came with rust all over it and the -30 came with a hole in the stinger weld. Maybe they're putting both those mods together these days! I had to buy two of 'em to get the full benefit.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Man CC!!! I take it you've lost a bit of confidence in FMF!! After all the bad stories on them, I just hope I don't add another to the pile. But there aren't many choices, right? The Pro Circuit supposedly has more mid and high than the FMF Gnarly Desert, but less low end. I don't want to sacrifice any more low end than necessary to gain some top end.

boy san

Dec 4, 2002
hey guys my fmf has rust on it too. would any of you recomend sanding the rust off, then polishing it up. or maybe powder coating the SOB. i guess i would need to know the highest temp that powder coating can handle, and figure out what's the temp on the pipe when it's cook'n

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
hey canny - i believe they have a little difference in powerband effectivness between the 200 & 220 if im correct

the biggest differnce is the 220 falls flat ontop(torque) and looses a little on botom(rev) where as the 200's powerband is increased throughout...am i right?

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
Where are the numbers stamped and can i see them without removing the pipe? I just bought a '96 kdx200 with a fmf gnarly pipe but now am confused if it is a rev or torgue pipe.

Top Bottom