piston recommendation?

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
Hi all,

great forum! I'm a new KDX owner and I've been reading here for a while. It's good to see so much interest and activity.

I've got my '99 KDX 200 engine apart at the moment to investigate a rumbly bearing somewhere in the transmission - hopefully nothing too bad. Meanwhile, I was thinking about replacing the top end while I was at it and wondered if you fellow KDX'ers recommended staying with Kawasaki piston or choosing an aftermarket one instead?

As far as I can tell, my bike's all still standard but after I get the few slight problems out of the way I'd like to whack a new pipe and silencer on her. I'm mainly into trail riding so I'm keen to get some more mid power. I was curious if my choice in piston will affect my ride much.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Buy the proper fitting (as per alpha designation OR preferably by measurement) pro-x piston for the 200, a pro lite (wiseco) for the 220.

Piston choice won't effect performance to any large degree, if that's your question. Well, unless it was a 220 that ate the oem known-troublesome piston. Not much performance going on after that.

re: rumbling noise. KDXs are generally noisy. Clutch noise can be considerably reduced by running 850ml (or so..some use a whole quart) in the tranny.

I wouldn't describe a rod noise as 'rumbling' anyway.

Good luck.

Did you support the KIPS activation shaft when you took of the LHT nut on the top of the shaft?

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
Yep, thanks to some great posts and JustKDX tips I knew to take care of the KIPS activation shaft - pretty sure there's nothing wrong there.

If I grab a handful of the clutch basket and give it a rotate'n'wiggle there's (from inside the case) considerable movement and what sounds (feels) like the rumbling noise when engine was running. I'll know in a few beers' time what the problem is I hope...

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
Great! Yeah I'm keen to go and check it all out - but gotta get my iron horse in shape first. At the moment she's a pile of pieces in my garage :( There is a place called Mt Sugarloaf that I've been to once very briefly, it's only a short ride away and looks like pretty good trails there. Plus you see lots of crew with paddles on their beasts that obviously head out to the dunes.

What kind of riding is there to be done near Gosford? Do you ride there much?

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Nah I havent for a while. I used to ride my '00' yz426f and yz125m at Wyee. Theres Watagans Mountain aswell. I ride mainly on a mates property that we built a small circuit on. Other than that the only place to ride is Lithgow. Its awesome.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…