Places to ride near Newport News, VA

rattattooey

Oct 13, 2002
I'll be moving soon to the Newport News, VA area. Can anyone tell me about riding areas in the vicinity? I don't care if it's trails, MX, or just open space.

Thanks.

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
I grew up in the 'Blues.  For dirtriders, it makes sense why we call it Newport Blues.  I've been out of the area for several years now, but we used to ride Crystal Lake in Hampton and across I-64 in the landfill.  The landfill area has homes now and the cops chased us away from Crystal Lake/Sandy Bottom.  You can see the Lake on the west side of I-64 just north of the Hampton Roads Pkwy exit.

I used to race in the Virgina Hare Scramble series a long, long time ago.  There were three "tracks" I remember: one set-up across from the NN Golf Course across from the Votech School, one in Gloucester a few miles north of the York River bridge and one in Ivor (near Smithfield, VA).  I don't know if any of them are open to riding anymore as the whole Peninsula is growing fast and homes are eating up what little land there was to ride. 

I would suggest finding out if the H/S series or similar is still on and finding out where they race and/or rider.  The lack of good riding areas is one of the reasons I got out of ridig for so long.  Good luck.

Top Bottom