places to ride near pittsburgh pa

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
where do you guys who live near pittsburgh pa. ride at? i ride most of the time at finleyville because i can ride there from my house but im looking for other places in the area. i like to ride at finleyville because there is all types of riding out there and i like a variety of things. i know there is stuff out near jefferson hospital and rt. 885, there is some fly ash dumps near clairton, the glassport dumps. any of you guys ever been to any of these places? if so whats the terrain like? someone also told me something about slate dumps in belle vernon too. ism sure there are a lot of other places in the area to ride so pleae let me know about them.

Dan Milan

Dec 4, 2003
I tried finleyville (train tracks near Gastonville) but my kids had a hard time with their klx 110's on the rocky terrain. Are there any trails for the younger rider out there? I like to ride in a patch of woods near where I grew up/ Castle Shannon/Whitehall border. We call it the Power Plant being there is a Duquesne Light facility nearby. It's near Rt. 51 and Provost road.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thanks for responding. how far down the tracks did you go? if you were coming from gastonville did you make it to the whoops on the tracks? go into the trails by the whoops above the tunnel where everyone parks at, that is the main entrance into the woods, you will see a huge mud puddle that you can by-pass with other trails(dont go through it) that lead to one of the main trails. the main trails are wide because of trucks and suv's four wheeling out, there are other trails that split off the main trails you and you kids might like. there are marked courses in the woods. im not sure if you have been in those trails or not. have you been to the bowl out there? its pretty cool but it can get pretty crowded up there sometimes. this place near provost rd, is there anywhere to park? will have to worry about the police? is it all woods or is there other stuff? my gram and pap live in castle shannon so i know the roads out there.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
there is also a little spot off the train tracks you can try out and you kids might like, i always see little kids back there. its a more open area that used to have a mx track back there and has a little horseshoe type thing built into the hill side. if you are coming from gastonville on the train tracks, you will cross stone church rd and you will see a house on the corner at the intersection there is a house that has all kind of big wooden carvings on the poarch, cross the rd. and keep going down the tracks for a few minutes. about a few hundred yards before the whoops i talked about before look to your right and you will see a big wide trail, go up into there. there used to be a mx track in there but its pretty much worn down but its fun to ride on.

JPP

Jan 3, 2004
If you are interested for a Sunday Dualsport ride contact me. I know many miles of trails starting from Allison Park PA. Average ride is about 90 miles,
more or less depending on the weather.

Dan Milan

Dec 4, 2003
If you know the intersection of Rt. 88 and Sixth street, go up Sixth street to the second street to the left which is Belleville street. Make the left and go up to the top of the hill where it levels out. My brother lives at the top and it's cool to park there (dead-end street). Ride down to the end of the street and on to the trail, it will take you to the "power plant." Just ride to the right of the fenced-in Duquesne light facility and follow the trails. It's not a huge place to ride but it's something!

jpp- would love to dual sport but I ride a non-street legal kdx.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
jpp the dualsport ride sounds cool but i ride a yz 250f. also its gonna be pretty sloppy from all the rain, im not a big fan of mud riding.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i also forgot to mention that i heard from someone i know that there is an indoor riding facility near monesson. im not 100% sure about this, the person was supposed to take me and show me it today but so far he is hasnt shown up. he said you have to be a member to ride there and its mx and freestyle stuff. almost sound to good to be true.

JPP

Jan 3, 2004
Lonewolf, didn't mean a ride for today. I'm on my way out of town on business for the week. Back home on Fri. Keep me posted on what you find out about the Monesson site.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
the person that told me about this monesson site never showed up, i called him about 3-4 times and he never called back. ill keep you posted, ill find out one way or another.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
im suprised by the lack of responces, i thought there would be a lot more people from the pittsburgh area responding. i was at paatving.com and was talking to some people about different riding spots. sounds like there is a nice place in the brownsville area to ride.

markc

Nov 13, 2000
I live in Pittsburgh (Baldwin) and ride on some trails off of Glass Run Road (near Sandcastle). The trails are decent and some of the guys from Bohn's cycle ride there often. I too am looking for additional places to ride. I have driven to Uhrichesville,OH (Crow Canyon) to ride and like this place alot-cost is $15.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
markc said:
I live in Pittsburgh (Baldwin) and ride on some trails off of Glass Run Road (near Sandcastle). The trails are decent and some of the guys from Bohn's cycle ride there often. I too am looking for additional places to ride. I have driven to Uhrichesville,OH (Crow Canyon) to ride and like this place alot-cost is $15.

i though this thread was dead. thanks for responding markc. where exactly are these trails on glass run rd? where can i enter them at? i know where glass run rd is, i used to drive on it a lot when i used to work out that way. are you refering to 40 acres? i heard about that place but never been there, its out that way isnt it? there are trails down by streets run rd too, have you ever been on those? you can see the trails from the road and i used to see bikes down there sometimes. sorry to ask so many questions but i am interested in these riding spots. what is the terrain like at glass run, is it all trail or is there any wide open spots, any jumps too?

markc

Nov 13, 2000
If you were to drive up Glass Run Road (toward Baldwin Boro), look on your right and you will see about three different areas to enter the trails. One area in particular is large enough to park. I am not originally from Pittsburgh, so I am not sure if it is called "40 acres". I believe most of the trails off of Streets Run Rd. are gone.

markc

Nov 13, 2000
Forgot to answer your question about the terrain... Nice trails with a couple of good hills, probably 3 mi. Large "open" section on the top with rolling quad trails. Great view of the river.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thanks for responding. does anyone mess with your vehicle if you park at then one place you mentioned. what about the police are they cool with the parking? i dont want to come back from riding and find my vehicle has been towed. this place sounds like 40 acres, does the open spot look like a party spot for teenagers and are there burnt cars up there too? i checked crow canyons website, it looks like a really cool place to go, i plan on trying the place when the weather gets nicer.

brianfr

Jan 23, 2004
try this site

www.pitracer.com for tracks

Went to NEMX near Pymatuming (sp?) yesterday. Decent AX track, but cold(no heat, but inside), loud, smoky, and crowded. All classes including kids on bike days. It would be a decent place to take kids, because you both get to ride with your calss at you're own level. If you're dying to ride in the winter, it's worth the trip.

Other wise I know of several good places to trail ride out this way, but parking is an issue because you will be tresspassing. Perhaps when the weather breaks I could show you where to ride here. But you have to know someone to park at their house, out of sight of a road incase you get spotted by police. Sounds fun, don't it?? Hence my search for tracks.

Brian
Beaver county

brianfr

Jan 23, 2004
Beaver Valley

If your refering to NEMX, It's actually in NE Ohio.

Anyway, Does anyone have any info on a track called Beaver Valley raceway near Hookstown, Beaver Co. It's five minutes from my house, and I see many, many bikes going there every weekend. I can't find any information about it though. I have no idea what time to go, or how much it cost, or whether you need to be an AMA member. Apparently they race harescrambles and MX every weekend in the summer.

brianfr

Jan 23, 2004
Yellow Creek

I almost forgot about about YELLOW CREEK in Wellsville, Ohio. It is the ****, and you are allowed to ride there, at least according to the fire chief of that township, who also does paramedic duties. Apparently they ambulance or airlift people out of there on a regular basis. Also I've waved as cops drove by while unloading. Bikes, quads, trucks, dune buggy's everywhere. Tons of trails, Big hills. I've been there about four times and I still get lost.

It's about an hour and a half from Pittsburgh. Less if you live to the west of the city.

If anyone is interested in going, post and I'll write up some decent directions.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thanks for responding brianfr. i actually have a cabin in pymatuming(cant spell it either) im gonna have to look into this indoor facility. i have heard of beaver valley, there is a motocross track and a harescramble course there. i have never been there but i know people who raced mx there before. i really want to check out wellsville, i have heard a lot about it. the only problem i have is i dont know my way around the trails and neither does any of the people i ride with, i dont want to get lost. im probably going to invest in a gps. do you know your way around there? maybe we can meet and ride together once the weather breaks and i get my new bike.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i just checked out pitracer.com and found a few new places to ride at. the place in andover ohio you were at look really cool. andover is about 20 minutes from my cabin, i may be there every weekend next winter.

Dan Milan

Dec 4, 2003
Yo, Fellow Pittsburgher Dirt Riders. I thoughtthis thread was dead also! I will keep watching it...may want to tag-along with you guys to go riding. I only have a'99 KDX200 but my kids have new KLX110's. Can't wait for spring!!

Top Bottom