Places to RIde

familymxer

May 6, 2005
I am looking for some good single track places to ride in Michigan or even Wisconsin that does NOT consist of WHOOPED OUT, LOOMEY SAND that you practically need a paddle tire to ride in.

I have 6 & 8 year old sons who both race on 65 and 85 respectively. Both are pretty good riders considering they have qualified for Loretta's the past two years. We take a couple trips every year to do some trail riding for fun and want to find some good areas. We went to Michigan last year and all we encountered were deep wooped out sand trails in the Battle Creek area. The kids did not have any fun therefore neither did Dad. I am willing to drive almost any distance but would like to have several options to consider. Also, any info on nearby campgrounds with electrical hookups would be appreciated.

We really enjoy the dirt trails with a lot of turns and elevation changes.

I have checked the MI DNR site and they do not give any description of the type of dirt, etc. This is how we found out about the place we went to last year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

familymxer
robertjr@rw-ins.com

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Much of Michigan will have sandy soil and hence whoops. But there are a few spots that dont get it as bad due to locally different soil compostion. Now my southern breathern may disagree with this..but to me the more southern trails in the state will see more use, and more whoops! Head north! Also, if you can find a trail system that was groomed more recently, whoop content decreases dramatically. (eventually they will return though).

The Mio loop has some whoops, but due to more rocks not to bad at all. Good mix here - some hills, some rocks, some sand, some whoops. Some sections of the Atlanta B loop are nice in that regard as well (other parts are whooped out though). PArts of Wolverine are pretty decent and whoop free. The UP has some good stuff to offer as well. (Magoo - chime in!).

Bottom line is I dont think you can find any designated ORV trail in Michigan (particularily Lower Michigan) with NO whoops. Some are better than others. Other guys here may have particular trails they find with minimal whoop content as well.

familymxer

May 6, 2005
KTM Mike,

Thanks for the reply. It's not really the whoops that really bother me it is the deep sand and lack of traction that my kids are able to get going through them.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Horse Shoe Lake isn't too bad as far as the sand goes. Thats north of Muskegon.
Caberfae dosn't have much sand either.
Hmmm what elso. Wolveriene as said above is a nice trail.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
some nice trails in cadillac off 26 1/4 mile rd are very nice . also the ogemaw link i left earlier has a kiddie track not sandy at all. an intermediate track portions are sandy and the regular track portions are sandy the trails on the property are somewhat rocky others are somewhat sandy my buddies kid has no prob on ktm pro jr. as far as the orv trails nearby i've never needed to venture off grounds yet

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…