oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Anybody have any experience with this. My wifes diagnosis of a severe heel pain is that I have Planters Fasciitis. My left heel has been getting sorere for the past week and this morning when I got up the pain was so bad I could hardly stand. As the day progressed it got better but never went away but everytime I sat down for more then 15 minutes it returned to very painfull.
I really thought earlier last week that I just bruised it but now I really thnk it is internal. If I stretch it out by pulling my toes towards me that seems to help but as I said once I sit for a while it comes back bad as ever. If I don't get some relief tonight I think I'll be calling the Dr tomorow
Any exercises that anyone can suggest

B

biglou

Dave-I thought I had it a couple months ago, but have since been told it is Peripheral Neuropathy. I'm taking a B-complex vitamin daily for a month or two to see if it helps. Don't know if you remember my thread in the mod forum about the seering heel pain I had about a week before Christmas? My sister's an RN and thought it might be the Plantar Faciitis or a heel spur. So I read up on it a bit. Check out WebMD.com and enter "heel pain" and you'll get lots of good info. Mine was hurting me so bad that I almost went to the ER just for the pain. I was up all night. A couple days walking on the ball of my foot, and since then it feels like a vague numbness is the best way I can describe it. Anyhow, if I remember correctly, the stretching is one of the best things to do for the faciitis. Check out WebMD, there's lots of info there.

Crap. I'm officially old... :(

crashnburn

Apr 24, 2004
First thing in the morning and last before bed you can "write" the alphabet with your toes. Stretching is the best but don't overdo it. At night the blankets pull your toes down and exacerbate the problem. Worst case scenario is braces to sleep in. :)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I had a bad bout of it last year about this time, exact same symptoms you are experiencing. I upgraded my work shoes to a top end shoe with great support and the issue was gone within a few weeks. Saving bucks for footwear when you are on your feet all day was a bad choice by me. Dave, I assume you guys get standard issue boots? If so maybe some better inserts for support?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Chili said:
Dave, I assume you guys get standard issue boots? If so maybe some better inserts for support?
Yeah right :rotfl: you are not familiar with US police agencies :blah:
Actually I am thinking my new hiking boots may be the cause since I started wearing them the week before St Louis is about when the pain started. I am going to try stretching exercises and wearing other shoes

bellracing2

Feb 10, 2006
Your wife if probably right . My "boss " just went through the same pain you described and she ended up getting a shot of cortizone , and was told to ice the foot every nite for 1/2 hr . after 1 day the pain was almost gone . Sometimes a shoe insert is perscribed to support the arch .

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I had it last year. I ended up at a DR who had lived in the Orient.

He jammed the largest nedle he owned into the muscle/tendon on the bottom of the foot. I wanted to cry like a little girl. Damn, it hurt.

It fixed it. I dont mean it felt better, it fixed it. I cannot recommend the treatment enough. This is after tyring stretching, braces, etc.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Actually there is some relief today using a combination of all the suggestions I got yesterday.
Last night before bed I iced it for about 20 minutes using a frozen soda bottle which I rolled the arch and heel on.
then just before bed I sketchted the alphabet (thanks crash) did it again when I woke up in pain at 2 am and again this morning before getting out of bed. At least I could walk when I first got up.
Today at work I put an extra think insole in my boot and every chance I get I try to keep it stretched out. The pain is there but not as excruciating as yesterday.
Hopefully a couple more days of this and avoiding the hiking boots will heal it up
Thanks again

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
oldguy said:
Actually there is some relief today using a combination of all the suggestions I got yesterday.
Last night before bed I iced it for about 20 minutes using a frozen soda bottle which I rolled the arch and heel on.

I've been using the frozen soda treatment for the past 4 years for my sore feet. I've been to 2 Podiatrists,
  • cortisone shot is temporary
  • spent $300 on custom orthotics which didn't fully help the problem
  • don't walk on smooth floors with your socks, this allows the plantar muscle to stretch out too much
  • don't buy your shoes too big in size, this also allows the plantar muscle to stretch out too much
My next attempt at a cure will be visiting an asian acupuncturist to drain blood from the problem areas in my feet to remove any toxins which could be contributing to the problem. I'll keep you posted.

Tracy

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
I had it. Didnt know what it was for a while, then came a time when I had to run across a busy city street, and I nearly collapsed. Had it in both feet to some extent, but on one really bad. (The foot I push off with when I skateboard.)
I went to an orthopedist,and he made the diagnosis. He gave me the usual....horse pill sized motrins for 2 weeks etcetc... no help really. Gave me some stupid silicone inserts for my shoes. No help there either. (I spend 8 to 12 hours on my feet every day)
The stretching in the morning helped the most. From the time the alarm goes off until I step off onto the floor, I stretched my ankles....still do it, its a habit by now.
seriously, it took almost a year to feel better. If I am very active it flares up...

Homewrecker

Feb 26, 2006
I had it as well. I ended up getting it in my left foot after using too much weight on the calf raise machine at the gym.

I had no idea what it was and for 3 years I ignored it and dealt with the intermittent pain. One day a co-worker told me about a problem he was having which tunred out to be the same thing I had and that's when I found out the 'offical name'.

From what I was told phyiotherapy is the only real cure and you need to use orthotic (sp?) inserts for your shoes.

The strange part is that after a few weeks of finding out what the offical name of this ailment I had was - it suddenly and finally disappeared. It finally healed - a bit more than 3 years later. :bang:

twoofeach

Dec 15, 2004
Have you heard of gout? It is the kidney's inability to breakdown the uric acid in certain foods. The excessive uric acid travels to the body's extremeties and builds up "needle like" crystals in your joints. At first, the pain is slight but builds up substantially. Within a few days, the pain can be excruciating. It feels worse than a broken foot. It is found in males between 30-50 who consume alcohol, eat red meat, seafood or other foods high in protein. I realize, that's probably most people on this forum. :) Anyway, I thought I had plantar fasciatis for a few months and it turned out to be gout. I changed my diet and it doesn't really bother me now. Now I spend my spare time educating people on the effects of gout. :bang:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I have never had such a problem but I just saw a photo in the latest issue of Runner's World of a brace type thingy that pulls your toes up towards your knee at night while you are sleeping.

Here's the link to their site:

http://www.thesock.com/

yo its matt!

Aug 26, 2000
ive had it and it took a long time (about 6 month) to get rid of it , i bought new boots and stretched/tore the plantar muscle, found out ice and wearing new balance sneakers is what the local foot doctor recomends, after it healed i started stretching every day,

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
It is surprising how this comes and goes. Monday morning I thought it was healed but Tues morning I couldn't walk again. I let off and didn't do the stretching Monday (I know that was just plain stoooppid on my part) figuring it was gone. Tuesday and today have been miserable even with stretching and ice.
I do find that as I am sitting at work if I keep stretching it (Thanks Crashnburn for the tip to sketch the alphabet) really helps. Can't wait for this to be gone so I can fall to the next oldage ailment to come along

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Chili said:
I'll again mention how important GOOD footwear or inserts to your footwear will be to help correct this problem.
I picked up some high quality inserts with heel cups for my work boots tonight- can't wait to test em tomorrow

Top Bottom