PLEASE ADVISE ASAP (help with 2002 XR80)

rider8077

May 8, 2007
Having a problem with a recently acquired XR80. Had similar problem with my new DRZ. I'll explain:

Brand new bike, wouldn't stay running with choke let all the way out. I took the bike back to the dealer, they drilled out something, and it's been fine since. They said the problem was poor fuel (10% ethanol crap).

I picked up a used bike for my wife. Went and test rode it & it ran just fine. Next time on it (day later), bike wont keep running if I turn choke all the way off.

I added, fuel stabilizer to it, and let run with the choke 1/2 on for 5-10 mins. I turned the choke all the way off, and it cut off.

Don't know anything about working on bikes, but willing to try and learn. PLEASE ADVISE ASAP.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Chances are very good that the pilot jet is plugged up. It happens all the time when old fuel breaks down from sitting too long. Small engines, have very small jets so they are especially prone to this.

Pull the pilot jet out, clear the passage, put it back together and put some fresh fuel in it.

rider8077

May 8, 2007
thanks for the advice man. I've never owned a dirt bike, and haven't performed maintenance or work on one. I want to be able to work on my own stuff, rather than dragging them down to the dealer everytime I have the slightest problem. Especially for things that might be minor.

From how you explained it, it seems pretty simple. I don't have an owners manual yet. Where is this part and how is it removed and clean.

If you get the chance to reply, or if you feel like bothering with, your help would definitely be appreciated.

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
It takes months of sitting before the gas will break down enough to cause problems. If your problem occurred in just one day then either the gas was bad that you put it in it (was it from a can that had been sitting around for a long time?) or something else is going on.

If you filled the bike up from a can, and the gas in that can has been sitting around for a while, I would drain the gas from the bike back into that can, set it aside, get a new can and start over. If the gas was dirty (contaminated) or just old enough to have broken down then the carburetor will probably need to be taken apart and cleaned out in order to get the junk out of it.

Rod

rider8077

May 8, 2007
Thanks much. I want this to be a learning experience as well, so I'll work on the carb, lines and tank this Saturday. If that doesn't get it running smooth again, at least I'll have the experience for the future when I do it again (trail and error at it's finest) :bang:

Hopefully I don't get whipped by this task and be forced into taking down to the shop. :yell:

BIG T

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If the bike won't run without the choke, 9 times out of 10, it's a clogged pilot jet like Rich said.

Remove your carb and turn it upside down. Remove the float bowl and inside there will be a main jet that sits in the middle of the carb with a little jet next to it. The little jet will be down in a hole. Take a small screwdriver and remove the little jet. That is your pilot jet. Make sure you can see daylight through the jet. If not, clean it or replace it. It has a very tiny hole and will clog very easily. Also, remove the air screw on the side of the carb and blow air through the passageway while the jets are out. The air screw adjustment is from 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns out from the seated position.

A service manual would be a good investment.

Top Bottom